Lest we forget - Attention to detail defined in the Sebenza 21

Great thread, it makes me appreciate all the little details added to the design over the last 20 years. If you look at the old "P" knives vs the 21 you might not see much difference at first glance. But you open them up and you see the perforated washers and the channels in the pivot hole, the steel and batch markings, the chamfering around the edges and the details added to the thumb stud and lanyard. The Company is always striving to improve.

Awesome post man! I thought I knew a lot about the Sebenza before reading this. Apparently I still had a lot to learn haha. Thanks for passing on the knowledge!

Just a quick and sincere thanks to everyone who expressed that they enjoyed this thread. This forum is a great group of people and I am happy that my over-enthusiasm for the details of a pocket knife is welcome here. I never feel I have to hold back!

Thank you for the great post & excellent pics!
Not only did i enjoy the thread, it certainly made me appreciate the 21s I have even more!!! :thumbup:

Thank you for the details, pics, explanations! For someone like myself just coming into the Sebenza/CRK world; this helps me dramatically. I really appreciate this info as I had yet to descover many of these points until I read this:thumbup:

As one who has yet to pull the trigger, I appreciate seeing the great pictures and explanation when it comes to the small details...

I will be the first to admit, I was always a little skeptical of those that would "justify" the price because of the workmanship and details.
When I looked at a small 21 at a local shop a few years back, I could tell it was a nicely made knife, but I just didn't feel it...

You don't see all of the small manufacturing and design details, when the knife is together, and you only spend a short time looking and fondling.
As someone who had designed and built race cars for quite a few years, and on top of that, being a "perfectionist", I can truly appreciate seeing small details that go into making a truly great product.

It is threads like yours that draw me ever closer to actually buying one so I can experience first hand. I actually got the nerve a week or so ago, but when I went to the dealer that sells the CF knives, they were out of the small versions. Oh well, they will get more :D

You could be right, but they are out of those too :( It's a hard decision because I really like CF, but I really like the 25's too

I found the small to be lacking to be honest but I know many people carry, enjoy and use them very happily.

The 25 is a superb knife and I have been enjoying mine great deal. The micarta version is to me far better than the plain Jane though. You really can't go wrong with any of them at the end of the day, but do get the one you want and try to satisfy yourself, one can easily end up with a cupboard full of CRKs as many of us here have. :D

I found the small to be lacking to be honest but I know many people carry, enjoy and use them very happily.

The 25 is a superb knife and I have been enjoying mine great deal. The micarta version is to me far better than the plain Jane though. You really can't go wrong with any of them at the end of the day, but do get the one you want and try to satisfy yourself, one can easily end up with a cupboard full of CRKs as many of us here have. :D

The biggest reason I was leaning towards a small is because I liken the size to one of my absolute favorites, the BM Mini Griptilian.
But I really should hold them before deciding because the shape is dramatically different, so it may change the feel, and be enough to push me towards the large.

It's kinda strange though because I put some thought into which size to get, but the 25 only comes in one size, and I never gave it a second thought :D

Having a cupboard full of different CRK's would be cool, but I have a feeling I would lose them in the divorce lol

The biggest reason I was leaning towards a small is because I liken the size to one of my absolute favorites, the BM Mini Griptilian.
But I really should hold them before deciding because the shape is dramatically different, so it may change the feel, and be enough to push me towards the large.

It's kinda strange though because I put some thought into which size to get, but the 25 only comes in one size, and I never gave it a second thought :D

Having a cupboard full of different CRK's would be cool, but I have a feeling I would lose them in the divorce lol

I only have on so far; it's a sm with non-traditional looking box elder inlays. I find the inlays to be more appealing. I chose the sm because I do not need a very large knife for my typical use. It is plenty big and i honestly wouldn't even mind a smaller version. Which is why I plan to get a Mnandi as well.

I have yet to hold/see a large in person and I am sure they are great and plan to own one at some point, but I really do not ever see myself needing a knife that large. In all honesty, I really only need something the size of a smaller traditional and have a couple of those as well. I like others just like to have options.

You will figure out what yo want to start off with, then the saga begins:)

I'm going through a learning process myself and originally wanted a plane jane, then I saw the inlays and decided on those. Now I'm learning that with inlays there are some very unique grains/textures out there and look for ones that really call out to me. I do like the one I have, but I have seen many others that I would rather have.
I'm now looking for a good regular/annual and also looking for ones with certain birth dates. Its all a crazy process for me but I am trying to be wise in my decisions as I cannot afford a drawer full of these. I just want a few special ones.

best of luck

I only have on so far; it's a sm with non-traditional looking box elder inlays. I find the inlays to be more appealing. I chose the sm because I do not need a very large knife for my typical use. It is plenty big and i honestly wouldn't even mind a smaller version. Which is why I plan to get a Mnandi as well.

I have yet to hold/see a large in person and I am sure they are great and plan to own one at some point, but I really do not ever see myself needing a knife that large. In all honesty, I really only need something the size of a smaller traditional and have a couple of those as well. I like others just like to have options.

You will figure out what yo want to start off with, then the saga begins:)

I'm going through a learning process myself and originally wanted a plane jane, then I saw the inlays and decided on those. Now I'm learning that with inlays there are some very unique grains/textures out there and look for ones that really call out to me. I do like the one I have, but I have seen many others that I would rather have.
I'm now looking for a good regular/annual and also looking for ones with certain birth dates. Its all a crazy process for me but I am trying to be wise in my decisions as I cannot afford a drawer full of these. I just want a few special ones.

best of luck

Thanks for the input. There are so damn many choices. In all honesty, my first was going to be a Small with the Elk engravings.
I have been a hunter for almost 40 years now, and elk hunting is my passion. I burn up almost 5 weeks of vacation every year walking around the woods with my bow looking for one.
I still really like that pattern, but then I saw the CF knives, and being a fan of nice CF, I was drawn to those...

Heck, I'm already a mess and I haven't even bought my first CRK yet :D And yes, I do really like the looks of the inlays. I'm a sucker for nicely colored and figured wood.

Thanks for the input. There are so damn many choices. In all honesty, my first was going to be a Small with the Elk engravings.
I have been a hunter for almost 40 years now, and elk hunting is my passion. I burn up almost 5 weeks of vacation every year walking around the woods with my bow looking for one.
I still really like that pattern, but then I saw the CF knives, and being a fan of nice CF, I was drawn to those...

Heck, I'm already a mess and I haven't even bought my first CRK yet :D And yes, I do really like the looks of the inlays. I'm a sucker for nicely colored and figured wood.

Sounds like you are going to fit right in:)
I felt the same way, too many choices. Also it may be a good choice to start off with something in the fs section at a discounted rate. This will allow you to get something of interest but also allow you to actually check out and use the knife to see if you will in fact actually like the sebenza. just a thought and the cf sebenzas are fairly common at great prices in the fs section along with many others

A man who enjoys the finer things apparently..I like to call the subtle move from a plain jane to CF to inlays "creeping elegance"...Thankfully,..I don't have much of that going on..other than a micarta Insingo

Sounds like you are going to fit right in:)
I felt the same way, too many choices. Also it may be a good choice to start off with something in the fs section at a discounted rate. This will allow you to get something of interest but also allow you to actually check out and use the knife to see if you will in fact actually like the sebenza. just a thought and the cf sebenzas are fairly common at great prices in the fs section along with many others

That's a good point. I have seen some very good deals in the exchange.

A man who enjoys the finer things apparently..I like to call the subtle move from a plain jane to CF to inlays "creeping elegance"...Thankfully,..I don't have much of that going on..other than a micarta Insingo

Maybe your creeping elegance is just moving slowly :D

Love this thread. Geeking out over the real details that matter is something I support.

Somebody needs to do a thread like this for the Mnandi. I am not qualified to write it but I sure would enjoy reading it...

Last edited:
Back