Lets See thoses MACHETE'S

That's a sweet piece of work! How did I manage to miss that one, and what is it? :eek:

Yeah, he's not doing long blades anymore due to injury isn't he? Great snag!

Yeah, he's not doing long blades anymore due to injury isn't he? Great snag!

True, unfortunately. I'm glad I have the opportunity to put one if his choppers through some hard use. The DV8 eats up basically anything and doesn't complain. It has a few very small chips in the edge that I got it with but haven't managed to further affect the edge in any way. Makes me wonder what the hell the guy before me was cutting! Has anyone heard from Superman lately? I hope he's ok...

pict-

what's the actual dimensions (including blade thickness) on that, where is the balance, and what do you like about it? I am working on doing a second machete "model" in the straight edge "cleaver clip" style.

img0361dn.jpg

Blade length is 14 inches with my standard mods in place. I cut this down from a longer Tramontina and did a camo micarta wrap in the center of the handle where the wood was inlet. The handle is very secure and comfortable.

The sweet spot is right out to the end of the blade and the balance is tip heavy it hits very hard and accurate, bites deep, rides easy on the belt, fits in a straight drop sheath with no retainers.

I'm not saying it's the end-all, do-all machete for everyone. It is by far the most useful blade I have used here in my area doing what I do. Mac

Pict, I saw the vids you've done concerning that machete, good stuff:thumbup:

I've never seen a Tram with that type of handle though, I know the micarta wrap is custom, but the actual shape of the wooden handle is new to me (and looks more comfortable than the Tram handles I'm used to). Is it a model that's only available in South America? Or is it a stock handle you sanded the crap out of?

Does anybody have a comparison of a fiddleback machete and say a 12" tramontina machete?

Pict, I saw the vids you've done concerning that machete, good stuff:thumbup:

I've never seen a Tram with that type of handle though, I know the micarta wrap is custom, but the actual shape of the wooden handle is new to me (and looks more comfortable than the Tram handles I'm used to). Is it a model that's only available in South America? Or is it a stock handle you sanded the crap out of?

img3332hq8.jpg

This is the machete I cut down. The handle originally had a wire wrap that was sort of loose when I bought it. I replaced that with natural Buriti palm cord in the photo, very soft, while I decided what I wanted to do with the blade.

It is a production handle type for Tramontina but not a common one. The way they made it the handle was guaranteed to tear up your hand, but the shape was promising. The micarta wrap really makes this handle comfortable as can be, it also makes it very strong.

I'm planning to make a few more of these. So far everyone who has used it in the bush has asked me to make one for them. I told them, they buy the blade and materials and I'd talk them through the process. It's a good bit of labor with hand tools.

img0206ei.jpg

Here it is with the sheath so you can get a size comparison with the original blade.

Mac

I will as soon as Fiddleback sends me a free one for having...I mean testing. :D

Lmao. I hear ya! I was honking about getting one myself. I was just wondering the comparison between blade styles, usable length on the blade, Weight, and thickness.
I got to add some pics here as soon as I get the chance.

Here are some in my personal collection:

2x Nicholson/Collins 22"--one left stock, the other hand polished (what a pain!)
CIMG8042.jpg

Condor Combat Machete--unfortunately the only good photo I have of it.
CIMG8119.jpg

CS Barong Machete--also the only good pic I have of it. Battoned a tree trunk with it though!
CIMG8104.jpg

Fiddleback/Collins 323
CIMG8135.jpg

Hansa 24" Lampon
CIMG8244.jpg

Imacasa Colima--the black coating is SlipPlate graphite paint.
CIMG8684.jpg

Condor Viking
CIMG8360.jpg

Imacasa 14" Colin
CIMG8319.jpg

Condor Bush Knife:
CIMG8335.jpg

Condor Bush Cutlass
CIMG7993.jpg

CS Two-Handed Panga
CIMG9824.jpg

Fiddleback 16" and 18" models
CIMG8142.jpg

I also have several pieces I don't have good photos of. Just another excuse to get out in the woods! :D

An Ontario and an old Collins I modded/butchered:

013.jpg

This collection will grow by one as soon as Andy starts taking orders for his machetes. That 16" is the nuts.

An Ontario and an old Collins I modded/butchered:

-Snipped pic-

This collection will grow by one as soon as Andy starts taking orders for his machetes. That 16" is the nuts.

Not trying to be a smartass at all but what is the purpose of the hook at the end? If it's just to look cool, mission accomplished. I just didn't know if you had some ingenious use for that shape.

Back