Let's see your Traditional Case knives, old to new.

I don't get much real use use out of my knives when I'm home in NY. When I'm down here in Florida, that changes plus I only have a few to choose from. This 1977 Case pakkawood lockback made the trip this time. To paraphrase the old Timex commercial, it takes a beating, and keeps on cutting.20190109_155525-768x1365.jpg 20190109_155407-768x1010.jpg

This Saddlehorn is my latest Case addition...
PZCyerm.jpg

Misplaced finds his misplaced Case:D Too cool. A lovely Granddaddy Barlow!

@Prester John, forgot that Case made larger toothpicks in the past. Look for the 093 & 094 patterns. I just saw quite a a few on two well known sites.
Would you mind letting me know those sites on my profile page. Been looking for those got some time now.

Finally some snow and sun for my old Canoe.

8vx2CIA.jpg

I like this knife a lot, it cuts apples like no other traditional I own.
Just the small blade has quite some side to side play in the closed position
(see the following two pictures).
Does anybody else knows about this problem, maybe even how it could be reduced?

k9L1Jf2.jpg

KgRFtkn.jpg

Thanks

Finally some snow and sun for my old Canoe.

8vx2CIA.jpg

I like this knife a lot, it cuts apples like no other traditional I own.
Just the small blade has quite some side to side play in the closed position
(see the following two pictures).
Does anybody else knows about this problem, maybe even how it could be reduced?

k9L1Jf2.jpg

KgRFtkn.jpg

Thanks
My 76 Canoe does the same thing. When the big blade is open and the small one is closed, the small one becomes very loose. I think it has to do with the fact that they have one shared spring... if I half close my big blade the small one stops moving. The newer canoes have two separate springs and I would bet that’s because it was a problem in the old ones. If you find a way to fix them please let me know!

Last edited:
paulhilborn paulhilborn You sold my a beauty just like these a couple of years ago. I still love it. Imgur is not working right now or I'd post a picture of it.
Wow hamsco, if it's the one I'm thinking it might be the one Travman has now?o_O:) check out the EDC thread:D

Edit: I went back to my old sales thread and you bought my 10 dot:thumbsup:

Last edited:
matfox matfox the pen blade on the 131 pattern is thinner than the main blade, so Case had to use a catch bit to allow more room (basically a shim) for the thicker master blade to pass (being a single spring). Just a guess that the catch bit might not be fitted correctly (allowing the blade play).

A single spring Canoe is a great carry knife.

Last edited:
My 76 Canoe does the same thing. When the big blade is open and the small one is closed, the small one becomes very loose. I think it has to do with the fact that they have one shared spring... if I half close my big blade the small one stops moving. The newer canoes have two separate springs and I would bet that’s because it was a problem in the old ones. If you find a way to fix them please let me know!

matfox matfox the pen blade on the 131 pattern is thinner than the main blade, so Case had to use a catch bit to allow more room (basically a shim) for the thicker master blade to pass (being a single spring). Just a guess that the catch bit might not be fitted correctly (allowing the blade play).

A single spring Canoe is a great carry knife.

Scott and JB:
Thanks for your replies!
The side to side tension on my small blade also increases when the big blade is half open, but it's still existent. A splitted spring sounds like a stable possibility. I haven't seen one yet, maybe someone who has such a knife likes to post...?
The hint on the shim is very interesting and could be a solution. I have a canoe from the 80's with no blade play. The shim on the 70's version is just in the bolster area, whereas on the younger model it is over the whole one side. The frame becomes thicker and more stable. I will post a comparison picture of this asap.

Last edited:
Back