1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 35 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 31 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Let's see your Case knives, old to new.

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Pipeman, Dec 11, 2013.

Tags:
  1. North Shore

North Shore Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 28, 2016
    Would new yellow acrylic deter from the value of this nice old knife? The handles aren't in great shape. case trapper.jpg

Aryan29, Filoso, Ace Rimmer and 14 others like this.
  2. JB in SC

JB in SC Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2001
    @nifebrite beginning in 1985 Case started using two springs in the Canoe pattern.

Don W and Travman like this.
  3. nifebrite

nifebrite

Dec 1, 2015
    Thank you!
    The one I have is from '81. So it seems like the construction changed every 4-5 years during this period.

4. JB in SC

May 19, 2001
    I'd like to see a good photo of the one you have. Showing the liners with the blades open.

5. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    I'm not an expert so someone else would better advise regarding value but, if it were mine I would leave it original. From what I can see it's a fantastic knife as is!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

JB in SC, JohnDF, jmh33 and 1 other person like this.
  6. nifebrite

nifebrite

Dec 1, 2015
    I hope these photos show the different construction.
    The darker bone and thinner frame, with the gap on the shim, is from '76, the lighter and thicker version (with no play on closed small blade) from '81.
    In the open position both blades on both knives have no play and are awesome cutters!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mitch4ging, RDaneel, Filoso and 12 others like this.
  7. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    My newest Case Barlow : Smooth Antique Bone
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Harry

GE Jr, MJ71, Don W and 28 others like this.
  8. dc50

dc50 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2006
    A really nice one Harry :thumbsup:

Aryan29 and Old Engineer like this.
  9. pmek5

pmek5 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Going to have to blame this purchase on the pics & write-up by @Buzzbait.
    My first Yellow CV. Now I guess I will have to carry this one :)

[​IMG]

MJ71, Don W, mitch4ging and 23 others like this.
  10. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    That's my favorite from the new releases.

mitch4ging, jmh33 and Old Engineer like this.
  11. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Excellent choice. Carry it in good health.

pmek5 likes this.
  12. JB in SC

May 19, 2001
  13. nifebrite

nifebrite

Dec 1, 2015
    Thanks JB, good idea.
    I posted some pictures there a few months ago, but with no focus on these details.
    I guess photobucket took them away anyway.

JB in SC likes this.
  14. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    A 3 dot 1977 Case 21051 LSSP lockback. I'm addicted to these, it's my fourth. This one is scratched like it was in a tool box. The important thing is it looks like it was hardly used and the knife will make a great user. It locks up solid with no wobble. I cleaned, oiled, and sharpened it. Now it's a member of the team. IMG_7389~2-1024x726.JPG

GE Jr, Don W, mitch4ging and 17 others like this.
  15. JB in SC

May 19, 2001
    @joeradza
    Alan, same here..I have three Case SBJ's (single blade CV) in chestnut bone, plus another in dark red jigged bone. Once I find a pattern I like I tend to acquire multiples.

joeradza likes this.
  16. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I picked these up at a knife show yesterday, and wanted to include them here.

2000 smooth white bone #49 pattern CV copperhead jack
    [​IMG]

1998 burnt white stag bone #549L pattern copperlock
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    GE Jr, bucklife301, Don W and 18 others like this.
  17. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Great knives Jeff. I have a question and only mean it to be constructive. The first knife you show - the #49 Copperlock - has 5 Xs and 5 dots. Wouldn't that make it a year 2000 knife and not a year 1998 knife? The second knife doesn't have a full deck of Xs and dots. Maybe you switched the years around on the two knives. Not trying to be picky or take away from the knifes. They are great examples of the patterns. Then again maybe I'm just turning into a blind old man.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Fodderwing likes this.
  18. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    ED, you're absolutely correct, I switched the two dates. Making the correction now, and thanks!

Fodderwing likes this.
  19. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    I edited the dates on your pictures in my quote so as to make them correct. Again, very nice, beautiful examples.

black mamba likes this.
  20. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Mini Copperlock from 98 in PW Redbone, nice and dark. A good carry in the pocket as its copperhead keeps the tang from ripping at stuff, not too heavy either but a decent amount of blade with no play. Always wished they would do this knife with a Spear or Drop-Point blade as they would lie lower in the frame making an extremely sleek carry. But CASE seems to avoid Spears except on the Canoe or the new Barlow that Harry showed, a pity I feel.

However, it prompted me to order ANOTHER new CASE:D This time Barehead Slimline Trapper in what's called 'Old Redbone' let's hope it's dark and not lipstick pink :eek:;)

[​IMG]

.577NE, GE Jr, bucklife301 and 15 others like this.