Lets see your CPK in Leather!

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by NJBillK, Jul 29, 2017.

1. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011
  2. Icky Thump

Icky Thump Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 2011
    20210222_122920.jpg

3. SharpPancake

SharpPancake Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 30, 2018
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    First sheath that I made in a 3 years.
    Turns out meh...
    Loop should have been much higher. And the stitching could be less dense.
    I let it dry out and I guess I will use some, but it could have been much better.
    You can gather information on internet, but this is truly learning by doing experience.

4. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    Looking good to me :thumbsup: I like where you have the loop. I also like how you molded to the handle. I don’t think you forgot as much as you think you did;):)
    Nice job:thumbsup:

jus_gus, Mike157, Icky Thump and 6 others like this.
  5. Siddhant

Siddhant Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 25, 2018
  6. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    seeing that phat welt for that scary as hell blade makes me happy

jus_gus, woodysone, Mike157 and 2 others like this.
  7. mpjustin

mpjustin Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 5, 2009
    jus_gus, Siddhant, woodysone and 4 others like this.
  8. cpirtle

cpirtle Leathercrafter Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 28, 2001
    Wow, that got there fast for USPS! Thanks for posting and glad you are happy :)

This was a major consideration in the design, thanks for noticing. The welt is actually a full 1 1/8" before edge trueing, the inner stitch is approximately 3/4" from the edge, so there will be closed to 3/8" of leather between the cutting edge and inner row of thread. Once off the flats the welt widens to as much as 1.75", so even more out at the pointy end :)

9. SharpPancake

Dec 30, 2018
    I ordered some leather and a few other leatherworking goods.
    I only made foldover sheaths, no next one will be made from two pieces. How do you call that style? Pancake?

jus_gus, duramax, woodysone and 2 others like this.
  10. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    [​IMG]
    in progress. I hope to finish up this proof of concept today or tomorrow

So far, so good. If I nail it, I'm going to make a small run of five or six- only available to those who've purchased sheaths from me in the past, for now

11. Box_Opener

Box_Opener Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2018
  12. SharpPancake

Dec 30, 2018
    I overdone the retention a bit.
    I tried the Loveless cam, and it does really work, but I wonder how the long term durability will be.
    3,5 mm veg tanned leather, Fiebing's light brown, conditioned with coconut oil with beeswax and a final coat of Resolene
    I am quite happy with the results, but I messed up stitching a bit in one place.
    Such is life of a pancake.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. cpirtle

Mar 28, 2001
    Awesome work man, no need to make excuses for anything. Load that cam up with a few coats of resolene and you'll be surprised how well it holds up. Another good wear inhibitor is Edge Kote, but it will add a little bulk so wait until it breaks in or shave a bit off first. You can use a 1/8" flat chisel to get in the sheath and do welt trimming after it's finished.

BIGDORK, jus_gus, Box_Opener and 3 others like this.
  14. SharpPancake

Dec 30, 2018
    @cpirtle thank you for the advice. I have to say, leather working really has something to it.
    From strictly utilitarian perspective, kydex is all you need, but leather has almost unlimited capabilities when comes to shapes, retention methods and carry methods.

BIGDORK, jus_gus, cpirtle and 3 others like this.
  15. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  16. cpirtle

Mar 28, 2001
    From a purely utilitarian perspective a Buck or Esee is all the knife you'd ever need too ;) :D

Here's the Ad I ran in Blade Show Magazine in 2018..

IMG_5280.JPG

17. SharpPancake

Dec 30, 2018
    @cpirtle every damm time I see a sheath from you, I want one for FK2 :D maybe one day

BIGDORK, cpirtle, Odog27 and 2 others like this.
  18. Mike157

Mike157 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 29, 2006
    Well, many of you may be familiar with Matt Gregory. Some say he and Nathan are evil twins from different mothers.

You may not know Matt’s much more pleasant half and guiding light, Jill. She is very talented, has been very gracious and welcoming when I’ve had the pleasure of visiting, and quickly becomes adept at anything she puts her mind to. Jill decided to begin making sheaths, a while ago, since Matt throws a hissy fit every time the word is mentioned.

Pictured (Matt does take very nice pictures, you should check out his photography, and knives), is my new Behemother with Jill’s latest sheath. I couldn’t be happier with it! Beautiful and creative design and incredible workmanship. This one took quite a bit of time to hand stitch. The exterior is Horween Horsebutt leather with a “Hammered Croc” imprint panel. The liner of the sheath is a veg-tanned leather. Without further adieu....

5C2841DB-794C-4D47-9316-F63EEE42C305.jpeg A5DFA714-3660-4829-A69E-00A3182FA245.jpeg

19. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 4, 2016
    ∆∆∆wow!

jus_gus, woodysone, duramax and 4 others like this.
  20. Grenock

Grenock Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 7, 2016
    You had me at horsebutt.........