Let's see your good old basic fixed blades, Bowie's, Stickers, etc.

Nice to see you guys didn't loose you Marble. :D Great classics at that.

SD, I've really come to love the classic shape of that Woodcraft. It just looks like something you would see on a hip in any number of old photos and magazine shots from the early to mid 1900s. I'm no accomplished sheath maker, but you reminded me that I am getting to the point I need to either make or acquire some sheaths and pouches for a few knives around here.

Bill, great to see the heritage being passed down with that Ideal. Good old Western too. My Western 71 is stting on the desk here (along with a bunch of other knives naturally.) I recently picked up a Western 062 Folding Hunter with sheath on the bay that goes great with the 71. The 062 just happens to be riding on my hip right now.

That's the nice thing with traditional knives, from the basic, no glamour, working knife to the finest crafted customs, they all have their charm and personality.

Some more from Terry Primos:

El Camino (double guard) and mini version of the Montero:

primosedcs2.jpg

sunburst said:
Here are my two ToadStickers...Ones an Arno Bernard Warthog Tusk & the other is an Elk Stag Damascus given to me as a gift. I use the Stag for my everyday skinning knife but have had a hard time sharpening that baby.

CustomStagDamascus-1.jpg

Does anyone have any advice on how to clean up my mistake. Looking at the above Elk Stag handle, notice the discolortation, I stored that knife in it's leather sheath before I knew better and have ruined the stag. Is there a way to remove the discoloration??? Thanks..

Your damascus knife was made by Ray Rantanen. On his website, he gives some recommendations for maintaining the knife in top condition. He also offers refurbishment for the cost of return postage if you would prefer that route: http://raysknives.netfirms.com/maintain.htm

Thank you Rick I really appreciate your generosity by sharing that with me...I will contact Ray and see what he says. I never knew who made my knife..Thanks again...

Sunburst

You are very welcome. I have one of Ray's railroad spike knives and recognized his mark. He is an interesting fellow.

Good luck with yours.

Well, since I had it laying on the desk I figured I'd toss in a shot of this recently acquired, quite "Traditional" fixed blade. A carbon steel, good old fashioned Russell Green River Works 4215. It cuts readily just as it came. Now to get around to making a sheath for it.
Russell-Green-River.jpg

Sure is a nice switch from a CVA Green River kit I had once. That sucker never would sharpen up for me.

Amos Iron Wolf said:
Well, since I had it laying on the desk I figured I'd toss in a shot of this recently acquired, quite "Traditional" fixed blade. A carbon steel, good old fashioned Russell Green River Works 4215. It cuts readily just as it came. Now to get around to making a sheath for it.
Russell-Green-River.jpg

Very nice vintage Green River sticker there Amos!. This one reminds me of the ones the Mountain Men carried and whence the saying came no doubt, 'I stuck him threw the heart clear up to the Green River'.. or some such.;) :D

Very nice vintage Green River sticker there Amos!. This one reminds me of the ones the Mountain Men carried and whence the saying came no doubt, 'I stuck him threw the heart clear up to the Green River'.. or some such.;) :D

I wish it was true vintage, but it's a brand new one. Wait, no, I'm glad it isn't vintage cause I can use it! I figure it will go good with my muzzleloader (traditional of course). I've heard when a fight broke out with some of those old boys you could hear some of the spectators shout, "Give it to im up to the Green River!" So I don't doubt there were quite a few and various, "up to the Green River" statements made. I saw some ebay hypster trying to sell these knives by saying that the term meant up to the quality standards of a green river knife, that if something was good stuff it was, "up to Green River (standards).". Sheesh. What some folks will do to sell stuff.

I'm gonna pick up one of the blanks later on and see about putting some kind of nice, thinner scales on it for a sort of boot knife. The Green Rivers are still great, useful knives.

Amos Iron Wolf said:
I wish it was true vintage, but it's a brand new one. Wait, no, I'm glad it isn't vintage cause I can use it! I figure it will go good with my muzzleloader (traditional of course)...

I'm gonna pick up one of the blanks later on and see about putting some kind of nice, thinner scales on it for a sort of boot knife. The Green Rivers are still great, useful knives...

Wow!. That one sure is a dead ringer for some of the original models, but like you said it will make such a fine user to go with your muzzle-loader!:thumbup:

I like your idea about putting different scales on her as well. And incidentally,, I believed you mentioned making a sheath for this cutting tool. I have found the section on "making a sheath" in the book "How to make knives", by Bob Loveless & Richard Barney, extremely simple to follow with a set of straight forward steps for good rapid results. If you don't have the book in your library and you would like me to copy that section and send it to you, please let me know..

Making sheaths is very cool and although I am no good at it, it is one of the most therapeutic tasks I can do. I guess that is why I fancy the Harness Jacks and other Harness/Punch Knives so much. The Marbles Woodcraft I posted recently had one of my hand made sheaths and I seem to remember losing myself in that little project.. I love that old Woody.:)

Here is an old favorite that got me through the 2004 and 2005 hurricane seasons with all matter of slicing and dicing capabilities. It cut everything from braided rope and para-cord to tomatoes and cucumbers and multitude of stuff in between.. Its a Bob Dozier Red Bone Arkansas Traveler with its full tang construction of nearly indestructible D-2 steel its one little drop point that is hard to beat.

redboneark-trv.jpg

<> Cheers <>
/\^^/\^^/\
~ ~><> ~ ~

Nice sheath work. Thanks for the link too.

Sunny, that is a good looking that looks as useful as you've already found it to be. The sheath looks like a horizontal carry. If so, I like that too.

Mr. Eddie White, owner/operator of shadowknives customs here at the BF.com 'knife makers for sale forum' just finished hand crafting one ultra sweet hunter for me in 440C and sheepshorn scales that is nearly drop dead gorgeous!..

So purrrty is she,, I thought I would show her off on the old premier fixed blade thread..:D

000_1040.jpg

000_1041.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

I am really enjoying this thread, this is my third posted knife in the thread.

Probably the knife that gets the most attention in my collection would be the Ogg Bowie made by my friend Max Burnett. I sent Max some drawings of a Daniel Winkler Bowie, this is not an exact copy, just based on the Winkler. This is the only knife I have that the guard acts as the knife's display stand.

6430560.jpg

Tony, purrty is right! Sweet!

Phil, that's no slouch either!

Glad y'all raised this thread up again. It may not be custom, but I have a lil Queen with jigged bone I've been wanting to post. I think it's kinda purdy it's own self. I'll scan it in later.

Ever since I got that first old Imperial, since ID'd as a H6 (Sportsman type) I got a bug and picked up a combo with the H7 (serrated top) and utility knife in one sheath, a Utica Sportsman, and labeled Outdoor Sportsman Tempered Carbon Steel, that is the heaviest of the bunch, unsharpened and with a clean, shiney blade. Not I just have to scan them in too.

Saw Matthew's Ron Post after I posted this. Nice one too Matt!

I think this thread might be coming around for a second run.

Hope the pics come out. Bought this on the bay several years ago. It is of 2 or 3 bar damascus if I remember right.

205211965.jpg

205211980.jpg

(Shameless Plug) Will probably be putting it up for sale on the forum in a few days.

Here's one that was a gift from a fine fellow in Mizzippi.
He made it from a 50 something year old bandsaw blade, a bunch of years ago.
CatFishBowie.jpg

One of my favorite knives :D

Some more from Terry Primos:

El Camino (double guard) and mini version of the Montero:

primosedcs2.jpg

So, you're the chap that ended up with my Primos? I was the original owner of the El Camino. I still have pangs of regret selling it, but she was way to pretty to ever use. I hope you enjoy it. I guess if I had known then that Terry was done making knives (at least full time) I never would have sold it. Take her out once in awhile and tell her that Mongo still loves her.;)

Back