1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's See Your Pack Rat

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Panthera tigris, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Panthera tigris

Panthera tigris Apex Predator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 21, 2012
    As one of Andy's newest models, we haven't seen many pack rats infesting houses or roaming the forests.

When bringing one in, I was under the impression the knife would be quite small. However, the Pack Rat is squarely in the Handyman/HB/Bushboot size range.

Among all of the knives this size, the blade shape on the Pack Rat has a more leaf-like drop-point shape. In this regard, the blade shape is quite close to the Monarch, but smaller. It is not as aggressive looking as any of the aforementioned models.

Of other Fiddlebacks in the same size range, the Pack Rat has a larger and more acutely angled integral guard. Additionally, each Pack Rat has been ground with a marked recurve.

It is a funny knife. It doesn't look as svelte as the bushboot -- there is no sense of being a classic design which is how I would describe the HB -- this one is a little heavy -- and in some ways it is the evolution of many other models that we know work well. Other than the wider two-finger notch on the grip, there isn't much new introduced by the Pack Rat. Rather, the newness comes from its hybrid nature.

Much like a rat, it is an unapologetic, opportunistic little sneak. I like it.

This one has a super sweet edge that I got by thinning to 18.5 degrees per side with an Edge Pro and then freehand sharpening the recurve and plunge with a Chosera 2k stone (6.7 microns), followed by light stropping with Veritas green compound on a leather strop. I'll be using this one as an EDC, so expect updates as it takes on more character.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let's see your Pack Rat!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    Bmurray, hasco, steve o and 7 others like this.
  2. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    An intriguing model for sure. It doesn't quite do it for me aesthetically though.

Looks like a killer edge you put on it! Looking forward to hearing what you think after carrying it for a while.

varga49 and Panthera tigris like this.
  3. texasrimfirenut

texasrimfirenut Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2013
    That's a good looking knife. I saw another one listed on one of the vendor sites for sale and it got my interest.

Let us know how this works out for ya. A review would be nice.

varga49 and Panthera tigris like this.
  4. Panthera tigris

Apr 21, 2012
    I'm just getting started... First up are some pork chops tonight. Then, some time on my hip while drinking a cold one. Once I get handy with it I'll take it on some trails.

5. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Never held one

varga49 likes this.
  6. schmittie

schmittie Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    I think I still want one of these. Who else has one out there?

hasco and varga49 like this.
  7. Panthera tigris

Apr 21, 2012
    Man i've been using this one all over the place. From being my steak knife to EDC to bushlore...

It's a funky knife, but hits a lot of sweet spots for me.

Andy introduced the design on June 16, 2017, so the model is currently less than a year old.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    Bmurray, steve o, Lady1911 and 4 others like this.
  8. RobbieB

RobbieB Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    I really like the Pack Rat.

[​IMG]

Bmurray, hasco, Lady1911 and 3 others like this.
  9. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    nice

10. varga49

varga49 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2016
    I could definitely go for one!

11. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator

Oct 19, 2005
    I love this model as well. Its different in a good way. I'm concerned that you thought it was small. We haven't done a good job comparing it I guess.

varga49 likes this.
  12. Fiddleback

Oct 19, 2005
    Have you had your hands on the tasker? Its got that elliptical-ishey edge shape.

13. varga49

varga49 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2016
    I absolutely did regard this one as “small”
    and seemingly not well promoted, but that could be my fault for not looking more closely. After seeing @RobbieB ’s recently posted image, [and of course @Panthera tigris ‘s postings] I’m absolutely sure about trying one out!

14. Panthera tigris

Apr 21, 2012
    @Fiddleback I have not had the pleasure of handing a BC Tasker yet.

To me, from an outsider perspective, the Pack Rat seems well aligned to the Hiking Buddy, Bushboot, and BC Jr. whereas the Tasker seems placed alongside the BC, Monarch, and similar. That's how i've got it in my head.

@VANCE may we have a pic of Pack Rat and Tasker together?

15. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    [​IMG]

hasco, Lady1911, varga49 and 3 others like this.
  16. schmittie

schmittie Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    For me, the handle is what’s caught my eye. That, and the combo of blade shape. There is something about this one that I think I “need” one.

:)

hasco and Lady1911 like this.
  17. RobbieB

RobbieB Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Here's a comparison photo of the Pack Rat to a number of others in its size range. Note the steel on the Pack Rat looks funky in this image only because it sat at an angle that didn't reflect light the same as the other knives.

And, yes, there is something about the Pack Rat's handle shape that makes it very comfortable. Mine is a little narrower than my Hiking Buddy, so it fits in the same sheath, just not as snugly.

[​IMG]

hasco, schmittie, Lady1911 and 2 others like this.
  18. Panthera tigris

Apr 21, 2012
    Thank you, @RobbieB and @VANCE.

A couple comments from surface level observations on the photo.

Whereas some of the blades have a subtle recurve from grinding near the plunge or by design, the Pack Rat has a dedicated curve, but not a recurve, from the plunge to the midline. It's a very curvy knife, more C shaped than S shaped. Quite like the bushboot.

I wasn't aware of how curvy the overall profile of the Kephart was. However, in the above photo the Bushcraft Tasker, Bushboot, Pack Rat, and Kephart follow this trend where the blade tip as well as the butt of the knife orient to the middle of the graph squares rather than the top lines.

The Pack Rat and Arete have comparably longer index finger holds, but the ring finger and pinky hold area is a more shallow and gentle curve than any of the present knives above.

The butt of the Pack Rat is more rounded than the Hiking Buddy and Handyman, presenting as a relatively symmetric crescent.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    schmittie and Lady1911 like this.
  19. Fiddleback

Oct 19, 2005
    Yes. Its got a 4" blade. Its in the Bushfinger size group.

Panthera tigris likes this.
  20. hasco

hasco Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2014
    The pack rat definitely speaks to me too.

I think the drop point blade and handle shape make it look like a good candidate for a smaller Bushcraft blade.

The pack rat, elf and bush hermit are all on my like to try list. The gaucho is too but that one is taken care of. :)

Fiddleback, a2vg1095 and varga49 like this.