1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's See Your Pack Rat

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Panthera tigris, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Turth

Turth Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2014
    Rats need love too.
    [​IMG]

The Pack Rat is a pretty serious contender for my favorite Fiddleback, top three without a doubt.

Bmurray, Lady1911, VANCE and 3 others like this.
  2. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator

Oct 19, 2005
    Cool set. I agree on the Pack Rat. That design works.

3. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    I need to handle one before I buy.

Lady1911 likes this.
  4. Lady1911

Lady1911 Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2018
    I've recently started paying attention to this model. Wish I would have looked for and handled one during the Blade Show. :rolleyes:

Fiddleback likes this.
  5. ShanghaiJer

ShanghaiJer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2014
    I owned one with a thicker blade (5/32”), which didn’t quite do it for me so I ended up letting it go. That said, I think this would be a great blade in 3/32” or maybe even 1/8” with a high grind. Just my $0.02.

Fiddleback likes this.
  6. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator

Oct 19, 2005

Meeting you was definitely a highlight of my show. Maybe we need a passaround of the Packrat.

schmittie, Bmurray and Lady1911 like this.
  7. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Yes please. This model really intrigues me.

8. schmittie

schmittie Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009

Count me in if you do it please.

9. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    I would happily put one through some testing as well!

10. Turth

Turth Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2014
    I put my PR through some work this weekend and was thinking about why the model appeals to me so much. I wish I had some new insight into the model but @Panthera tigris really nailed the blade shape in the opening post and the handle in post 18 last page. Nonetheless, I'll repeat some of his great points.

It's just a workhorse of a shape- wide leaf point tip and plenty of belly for pushing or pulling. The handle shares characteristics of the Bushboot with the curved back and slight butt-swell, but the finger groove is wide enough for two fingers which puts the handle naturally closer to the knife(for me). I find the Arete very similar in this regard, and think of the Pack Rat as a cross between the Bushboot and Arete in handle shape while the blade is more of Arete / Hiking Buddy cross. As such the knife will take care heavier work with a deep full grip but I can still fit my middle and ring fingers over the handle while pinching all the way forward. If I were to criticize anything I'd say the guard doesn't need to be as pronounced considering the deep finger groove and recurve, but as is the knife suffers no loss of function.

It's not a terribly traditional shape, but it is incredibly well thought out in design and represents, to me, a modern crossbreed bushcraft/EDC(task) knife. It seems hybridized perfectly for household and camp tasks. Looks kinda funny, but I find that to be a common trait in well designed versatile blades, just look at a Nessmuk.