Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

So even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while! Bernie Levine, who generally eschews the word "mint", would call this nut "excellent, unsharpened", not withstanding a few blemishes/stains.
I suspect the fit and finish is not up to Buzz's killer Boker up above, but it's pretty cool. The bone is as sharp as if it were jigged yesterday, and everything else is as-built, if a little aged by time.
The 'Bay coughed it up for very little money - part of the nuttiness!:D
So boys and girls, quiz of the day: who made it and when???
The only marks are; made in U.S.A. and CanOpener.
Camillus NM 1.jpg Camillus NM 2.jpg

Nice Charlie, I'll wait for others that are more knowledgeable but I'd guess Kingston or Colonial? My first thought was Camillus.

So even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while! Bernie Levine, who generally eschews the word "mint", would call this nut "excellent, unsharpened", not withstanding a few blemishes/stains.
I suspect the fit and finish is not up to Buzz's killer Boker up above, but it's pretty cool. The bone is as sharp as if it were jigged yesterday, and everything else is as-built, if a little aged by time.
View attachment 783302 View attachment 783303

Very nice, and I don't know. :)

Western. Only because I have a Western camp/utility knife with the exact same can opener stamp. Not conclusive though I agree.

Russell

Hey Russell! Nice knife!! Different can opener, but same stamp - and main blade! And bail!!
You are on to something here!!;)

View attachment 783302 View attachment 783303

Great bone on that very interesting knife. It doesn’t look Camillus to me. The pins are too large, and the blade is too full. The can opener and main blade tell me Kingston.

Here are pics of similar Kingstons that I grabbed off of usmilitariaforum.

Nd23w9nh.jpg

DKizJC9h.jpg

Last edited:
I have been looking around also and I come back to Kingston (Ulster Knife Co) Probably made for issue to the military. Camillus made some knives with made in the USA on them for Sears many years back, not the same though as Charlie's example above.

Russell

The blade (can opener and screwdriver included) and bail details say Kingston then! They also say that the Western is most likely a contracted knife.
Russell and Buzz, what are the punch details (the pile sides)??

All companies had switched to the safety can opener, like Russell's, by the end of the war.

BSA . . . . .hmmmmm. Post-war switch to Boy Scout knives?
What does your punch look like on the pile side, Thomas?

The blade (can opener and screwdriver included) and bail details say Kingston then! They also say that the Western is most likely a contracted knife.
Russell and Buzz, what are the punch details (the pile sides)??

All companies had switched to the safety can opener, like Russell's, by the end of the war.

I will put up a pic of the punch blade later, but it is very similar to the standard punch that GEC use.

Russell

Worthpoint is always handy as a reference.

Click here to see an old Kingston. Is had an older style can opener, but the rest of the knife looks the same. Notice that the knife has a Kingston blade etch, but only a Made in USA tang stamp.

Click here to see another Kingston. Same blade etch and tang stamp, and shows the same style punch.

Click here to see another Kingston that looks just like our mystery knife, but maybe with the can opener stamp.

I bet our mystery knife is an Old Kingston, that once had a Kingston etch on the blade.

It's looking more and more like a Kingston! They didn't put a lot of detail in the bail. Just flattened and lopped off.
There is no sign of an etch on this blade, but I recall a Kingston Jack I had with a "half-hearted" etch, that was nearly worn away, with little wear on the blade.
Thanks for the further research, Buzz; parting the fog!!:)

BSA . . . . .hmmmmm. Post-war switch to Boy Scout knives?
What does your punch look like on the pile side, Thomas?

What am I looking for?

Blocked from obtaining knives for years due to wartime materials controls, BSA was happy to sell whatever was available and could be etched "Official Knife Boy Scouts of America" - folding and fixed. Kingston was not the only example.

Thomas the type of punch sometimes tells part of the story.
I never thought I’d see a Robeson style punch on Russell’s knife!!! Amazing!!!
Thanks Russell!

Yup. That's what he wrote, but his efforts were largely pre-Internet. For example, he didn't know about Cardinal BSA knives.

Back