Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

Don't believe it was a USN (BuAer or otherwise) knife. May have been a Ship's Store knife (available for purchase by Sailors), but that would be impossible to demonstrate. Don't believe that knife was military issue. More likely a post war commercial knife.

Maybe a very early run of the Camillus 99, from before the 1946 catalog was published. Maybe 1945, when it looks like Camillus was producing knives with that same can opener for the military, yet was still producing the 14/4 pattern with bone covers.

Here is yet another one of the myriad variations in the Camillus scout pattern from World War 2. The full carbon steel construction, including bail, liners and bolsters puts it at about 1942, as far as I can tell. But I’m not quite sure why the shield is blank. That usually denotes that it was made for the Bureau of Aeronautics.

yx5rOcsh.jpg

VmRTMaSh.jpg

DJsR6VUh.jpg

I applaud both your knife and your taste in beer. I’m drinking Corona as I type this.
Thanks Buzz. :D It's my go-to once Samuel Adams Octoberfest is gone. Isn't the wee girl scout a doll?

Armadillo World Headquarters and a great knife and beer !! o the memories. Great photo and thank you
LOL! No doubt true my friend. :D

Here is yet another one of the myriad variations in the Camillus scout pattern from World War 2. The full carbon steel construction, including bail, liners and bolsters puts it at about 1942, as far as I can tell. But I’m not quite sure why the shield is blank. That usually denotes that it was made for the Bureau of Aeronautics.
Lovely on many levels.

Unstamped shield could have been any service. Most likely Army as they had the largest contracts. Also more likely 1943 as the War Production Board restrictions on copper/brass really didn't hit until near mid-1942. Manufactures could use what they had on hand. They were just highly restricted on what they could order. I'd bet the knife was 1943. That's the same year of the U.S. Mint's zinc coated steel cent. Also The Navy changed its spec for the 4-blade BuAer knife early to conform to Army's spec 17-170. Without a stamp on the shield there's just no telling what service bought your knife. If it were a 3-blade, I'd agree it was likely from a BuAer contract.

I think this one is probably some sort of weird Camillus Frankenknife. It's hard to tell from my pics, but the the main blade has a satin finish, just like the Sierra Club saw scouts made by Camillus for United Cutlery, who in turn sold the knives to the Sierra Club. As coincidence would have it, this knife just happens to have wooden covers, also like the Sierra Club knife.

This knife gets weird when you look at the shield(s). The mark side has a nice round Camillus shield, the same shield used on a special edition Camillus from the same saw scout era, except that one was done in brass. It also has the tang stamp from that period. And when you get to the pile side....... there's yet another shield. Surprise!!! 'Cuz what could be better than a nice shiny shield, except for a second shiny shield. LOL. I'm assuming that the wood covers are resin impregnated rosewood (like Dymonwood), the same covers used for both the Sierra Club and the Sears saw scouts.

But all in all, it's a wonderful knife. Fit and finish is typical of the stainless Camillus 99's made from the 5779 frame, although this mystery knife doesn't have 99 tang stamp. It's also very pretty, a real treat to have another scout knife with a wood handle. Wood covered scout knives are, for some odd reason, few and far between. For an auction price of just over eleven dollars, I couldn't pass it up. Since it's some sort of weird factory-worker parts knife or post-Camillus-auction assembly, I won't be afraid to carry and use it in the Adiriondacks either, where I prefer to carry mostly stainless.

O4xm9BVh.jpg

WfHcAeHh.jpg

0Wk3Dveh.jpg

QKgqoKCm.jpg

LXxB1OPm.jpg

nwmPOb1m.jpg

Campbellclanman Campbellclanman

And some added shots for Duncan :) I've not seen a punch like this one, the purple Cub Scout punch seems a little different. I think this knife was only made from 1980-1982, not sure how recent you are catalog'ing the punches so thought I would throw them in ;):thumbsup:

View attachment 1100275 View attachment 1100276 View attachment 1100277 View attachment 1100278 View attachment 1100279 View attachment 1100280

That awl scores about 9.5 on my weird punch-o-meter. :p:eek::p

I wish I could take pictures like Kevin and Buzzbait. great knives in here. I just posted this in the Old Knives thread but I will add a few pictures here as well.

Here's a 3 5/8 closed New York Knife Co. "official" BSR 1 scout knife. Levine's guide says that NYK Co. was the official scout knife maker until 1922, which included having "be prepared" on the shield. There are faint salesman sample numbers on the back of the main blade. Kevin posted this link on scout knives in the Old Knives thread, which includes a section on NYK Co. scout knives.
ApbiQFK.jpg

dXHCBip.jpg

7D9Yy9i.jpg

Last edited:
I wish I could take pictures like Kevin and Buzzbait. great knives in here. I just posted this in the Old Knives thread but I will add a few pictures here as well.

Here's a 3 5/8 closed New York Knife Co. "official" BSR 1 scout knife. Levine's guide says that NYK Co. was the official scout knife maker until 1922, which included having "be prepared" on the shield. There are faint salesman sample numbers on the back of the main blade. Kevin posted this link on scout knives in the Old Knives thread, which includes a section on NYK Co. scout knives.
ApbiQFK.jpg

dXHCBip.jpg

7D9Yy9i.jpg

Woah!!! Now that’s an incredible knife. I can’t believe how minty fresh it is. Like it just came off the assembly line. Even the etch is pristine.

Back