Lets talk GEC!

On the ck Barlow lottery from maybe a week ago, have they notified winners and losers yet? I entered but my page was acting all squirrelly so not sure if it took or not.

On the ck Barlow lottery from maybe a week ago, have they notified winners and losers yet? I entered but my page was acting all squirrelly so not sure if it took or not.

I was able to submit my entry and got the notification that I didn't get selected on the 12th.

The response was emailed the day later. maybe its stuck in your spam? Or maybe the submission didnt go through. I stepped outta the gym to submit it and the day after around the same time i left the gym and saw the response in my email that I didnt draw either. Go figure its like 500+ applicants for Mike's allotment of 40?

The response was emailed the day later. maybe its stuck in your spam? Or maybe the submission didnt go through. I stepped outta the gym to submit it and the day after around the same time i left the gym and saw the response in my email that I didnt draw either. Go figure its like 500+ applicants for Mike's allotment of 40?
I call humble brag on Jack, telling us he went to the gym twice. ;):D:p

GEC could have easily sold 2,000 of those Barlows and made a lot of people very happy.

yeah but its that bottleneck that keeps people coming back. Throughout the past two years ive been seeing this happen to more and more of my hobbies. Looking for a rolex from an ad? fuggedaboutit! I have had this discussion with Bill in person every year I attended the rendezvous back then. "Hey Bill, uh single blade knives in almost every model sell great, how come you dont do more of em?" "Hey Bill, single blade 15s man, theyd sell great! how come you dont do more runs of those?" so on and so forth :rolleyes: Bill Howard knows what hes doing.

A
yeah but its that bottleneck that keeps people coming back. Throughout the past two years ive been seeing this happen to more and more of my hobbies. Looking for a rolex from an ad? fuggedaboutit! I have had this discussion with Bill in person every year I attended the rendezvous back then. "Hey Bill, uh single blade knives in almost every model sell great, how come you dont do more of em?" "Hey Bill, single blade 15s man, theyd sell great! how come you dont do more runs of those?" so on and so forth :rolleyes: Bill Howard knows what hes doing.
And what does he say when you ask him these questions?

He is a psychologist for sure. Recently acquired this beautiful knife and instead of enjoying it I go scrambling for a 15. I don't even care for 15s, I sold all my 15s except one.
PgNiboo.jpg

A

And what does he say when you ask him these questions?

something to the effect of yes, certain models do better than others, and if he only ran those patterns, it would take months for large numbers. Production would be very boring and people would lose interest since they'd only be producing a limited variation of knives. More of one knife vs more of different knives? Bill thinks a few moves ahead.

He is a psychologist for sure. Recently acquired this beautiful knife and instead of enjoying it I go scrambling for a 15. I don't even care for 15s, I sold all my 15s except one.
PgNiboo.jpg

Neat! I remember about five years ago, a dealer had a two blade 77 in ebony with a clip and i thought about it. I had time to consider if I wanted to buy it. What a luxury. I did end up buying it and having that pen removed.

Yes, the winners were notified and I was extremely fortunate to be one. This is my first GEC Barlow, and I can’t wait to get it. I like the way this was handled, and not just because I was selected. I posted my favorable thoughts on how it was done the day the telegram went out. If GEC isn’t going to, or can’t meet the demand for its knives then this seems like a way to beat the “bots” on drops and early reserves. It also seems like a way for new people to enter the market that don’t have long standing relationships with dealers yet. And probably best of all, it’s exciting without the stress. These are just my thoughts.

^^^ an unattainable 1431XX would be fun to see. More fun if I could get one in my pocket.

It’s nice to know I’m not the only one who’s bought a “runner up” knife to help silence the sorrow of missing out on the latest GEC :D
I bought those #14s when they were released: Spear in 2016, and Clip in 2018. A Sheepfoot in 2020 would have fit the pattern, but nothing went as I expected in 2020. :rolleyes::D

As for Glitter Gold, I may have to console myself with a Case. I do wish they offered it with carbon CV, because I think the contrast of patinaed steel with 1970s-motorcycle-helmet-sparkle would be so cool!

Recently acquired this beautiful knife and instead of enjoying it I go scrambling for a 15. I don't even care for 15s, I sold all my 15s except one.

I caught myself doing the same thing. If there’s one thing I’ve learned recently it’s that I’m appreciating the ones I have. Unlike the fads that existed when I was growing up, not acquiring more GECs doesn’t kill the fun.

For every GEC release I miss out on from dealers, I save that money I would have spent and pick my favorite one out of the bunch to buy it on the secondary market. I use that to justify spending 3x-4x the cost on the secondary market.

Back