Lets talk GEC!

I really like the looks of this one but I have a general question. I love that they are starting to use the coping blade as a secondary but so far its been only paired with a spear blade but, why no clip? Is their a historical connection to the pairing of coping with spear? Anyone else like this change?
:)

Jeff, I love the idea of the coping blade as a secondary option, and as a nice change to the ubiquitous spear blade. However, after owning an original #79 pattern, I don't like it with this particular model. It looks too small for the frame and doesn't keep the clean lines of the original. Having only a coping blade on this one is like putting a 6-cylinder in a Mustang! To be fair, I think the coping blade was perfect for the #92 debut.

-Greg

Dear GEC,

↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓

Please?

This would be a spectacular design to recreate. It would bring back lots of memories with a very functional pocket knife pattern. Like the Remington bullet knife R-4243. Or the Camillus and Ulster Boy Scout patterns.

My Boy Scout Handbook, copyright 1960.

Tom

Last edited:
This is a great thread.

I would like to know why GEC seems to make small and large knives but the thickness of bolsters and diameter of pivot pins seem to remain fairly constant?

I have actually had more trouble with larger knives having the pivots come loose than smaller knives, with GEC built knives.

Any ideas on this one?

Or why when they go to the 4" plus don't they just go to stainless bolsters and pins? I ask this after having a little disappointment.

Seems like as good a place as any.

Kevin

On a related note, I am curious as to how GEC determines the thickness of blades and springs on their knives. The thickness of the Charlow is spot on. However, the blade on my #73 seems a tad thin given its width. Granted I have very little experience with GEC compared to most here, but a while back someone posted a comparison, complete with measurements, of the #73 to a Remington 1173, its progenitor. The GEC's blade was thinner than those on the original Remington.

- Christian

That is a Camillus scout knife. Kind of like a Swiss army knife. Knife, cap lifter/screwdriver, awl. I want a GEC version of a scout pattern in the worst way.

Gotcha. I think there's something cool about the Cub Scout. it's a bit more pocketable than most Scout patterns.

Well I can finally contribute to this type of conversation, as I am a newly minted GEC knife owner, just having received my first GEC yesterday, a #68 Pony Jack, clip blade antique yellow jigged bone version.

All I can say about it is "Wow!" I think that it could become my "one knife." As much as I like my Case knives, I think it'll be GEC for me for any future purchases.

Great question too Christian although I do love the thin blade of the 73's :)

On a related note, I am curious as to how GEC determines the thickness of blades and springs on their knives. The thickness of the Charlow is spot on. However, the blade on my #73 seems a tad thin given its width. Granted I have very little experience with GEC compared to most here, but a while back someone posted a comparison, complete with measurements, of the #73 to a Remington 1173, its progenitor. The GEC's blade was thinner than those on the original Remington.

- Christian

I'd like to take a few ideas here and string them together to complete a question I was mulling over recently. I do agree we are living in a great time to be a traditional knife fan, and GEC has really been turning out some great patterns recently (#15, #92, #68 pony jack, #55). I, too, arrived late to the traditional game and missed quite a few of GEC's earlier stellar releases (#66 jacks, #62 easy pockets among others). My concern right now is that GEC is so focused on developing new patterns or offering different blade configurations for established patterns that we'll never see any re-releases of previous pattern/configurations that are currently sold out.

-Greg

I'm slightly concerned about this as well. I'm sure they will do some re-releases at some point in time, but there are so many good patterns out right now (with more bound to come out), that its hard for me to worry about patterns I have missed out on.

The patterns I would like to see re-released are...

#62 Easy Pocket Courthouse Whittler
#72 Mini Hunter Lockback w/Clip
#66 Serpentine Jack

Patterns that I would like to see that have not yet been done by GEC...

#68 Moose
#68 "little" Big Jack
#55 Jack and single blade with more handle options
#92 w/Single Blade
#15 with secondary coping blade
#53/54 Single Blade Jack (I know that there is the Northwoods 54, but I'd like to see a Northfield and Tidioute version as well)
#65/64 Automatic Stiletto (I don't really care if they do an automatic stiletto or not, but I think it would be neat, so I threw it out there anyways).
**A Scout or Utility knife would be incredible from GEC!**

I would also like to see the bottle opener from the 2011 Blade Forums #85 Jack used as a secondary to some other patterns as well (#66, #68, #92, etc..)

Last edited:
GEC knives are the "Upper Deck" baseball cards of the 80's for knife collectors. :eek:

I really like the looks of this one but I have a general question. I love that they are starting to use the coping blade as a secondary but so far its been only paired with a spear blade but, why no clip? Is their a historical connection to the pairing of coping with spear? Anyone else like this change? I wouldnt even mind seeing a little wharnie as a secondary either.

They have often had a wharncliffe main and a coping secondary; #26 sleeveboard, #61 half congress, #57 geppetto whittler to name a few off the top of my head.....

I would also like to see the bottle opener from the 2011 Blade Forums #85 Jack used as a secondary to some other patterns as well (#66, #68, #92, etc..)

As someone who has been desperately searching for the the 2011 BF jack for several months I concur. I found one on a dealers site a while ago and with a WHOOP of excitement added it to my cart only to see a cheeky 'not available sign' in teeny tiny letters at the bottom of the page.

Paul

My first GEC, a Tidioute 73 two blade trapper, was absolutely a bear trap. I put it on the shelf and forgot about it. I could tell it was well made, but it was not what I was after in a using knife. The knife that got me interested in GEC, was a Tidioute 73 shadow pattern 2 blade trapper, that a knife maker had. Maybe he just picked a good one, the pull was tight, but not a steel trap. Over time, I bought and traded for a few blades. One that I really liked, but had to get rid of, was a 5 blade stockman. I couldn't open it sometimes to save my life. Now, I have some Ben Hogans, Toms Choice barlows, 73 trappers, and two 23s. The 23s were sent in to get the tension eased down a bit, but the current knives I have possess not only great F & F, they are not nail breakers.

Many of the earlier patterns to me are big and bulky, I call them the steroid patterns. Terminator knives. Big, bulky and they might bite you if you're not careful. They did not have that elegance of the old knives that GEC claims to make, or GEC made a pattern that I felt should have a little more flare and curves, and a little less bulk.

I wish that Great Eastern kept their popular patterns in current production, but I have seen quite a few come up from time to time on the Exchange and other spots. We must be a fickle bunch, or else someone is hoarding them somewhere.

I really like the path that GEC is going down. If they can make such a great knife as the TC #15 barlow, then they can make the premium stockman (301/8OT size) I'm looking for. I would also like to see a scout/camp knife from them.

As far as variations go, I have been fine with whatever model I can get my paws on, as long as it's not yellow bone, or plastic (one of the -lons). However, I've got more #15 barlows than I can remember. Ebony, soup bone, antique yellow bone (fickle? ;)), antique bone. Clip and spear.

This is a great thread.

I would like to know why GEC seems to make small and large knives but the thickness of bolsters and diameter of pivot pins seem to remain fairly constant?

I have actually had more trouble with larger knives having the pivots come loose than smaller knives, with GEC built knives.

Any ideas on this one?

Or why when they go to the 4" plus don't they just go to stainless bolsters and pins? I ask this after having a little disappointment.

Seems like as good a place as any.

Kevin

I had never thought about this before, very interesting. I just looked over my knives and this is pretty constant along the line. I have not had any ill effects myself but I know you have Kevin and I do seem to recall any issues with blade's is usually on the larger models. I would be curious to hear what GEC has to say on the subject.

Would love a GEC (440C) scout knofe. I know 1095 is far better, but I have not trained my son yet (he is 6, 2 more years to Cub Scouts). Steven

Many of the earlier patterns to me are big and bulky... They did not have that elegance of the old knives that GEC claims to make...

Absolutely my feeling as well. That all changed, for me at least, with the introduction of the White Owl. What a graceful and slender knife, perfect, especially with the extra touches (pinched bolsters, etc.).

Well I can finally contribute to this type of conversation, as I am a newly minted GEC knife owner, just having received my first GEC yesterday, a #68 Pony Jack, clip blade antique yellow jigged bone version.

All I can say about it is "Wow!" I think that it could become my "one knife." As much as I like my Case knives, I think it'll be GEC for me for any future purchases.

blink.gif~original

Wow. I'm glad you like your knife, and like it that much. :)

I agree with sentiments regarding some of the earlier releases. I've wondered how much is due to an eye toward the collectors' market, and how much is the excitement and challenge of new patterns and variations.

For me, I'd like to them choose a "basic" jack-- a #15 or #66 or one of the new #68 Pony Jacks, in the 3.5" range with simple appointments-- and produce it as a regularly available item. Maybe three default patterns?

The goal would be to be able to point new/future costumers toward a knife they can have, a known quantity instead of yet another knife that, by the time it's established and comes into awareness beyond the small bubble of collectors and nuts, is no longer available and won't be.

~ P.

Last edited:
I can see where everyone is coming from with the patterns and availability. If you get past the members of this and other knife forums how do people get to know or buy GEC knives? With less then a handful??? of store fronts around the world its not like most even know about them to buy in the first place. Maybe someone will come across one for sale at a gun show or something they will learn of the brand and consumers like that will buy whatever they see in front of them if they like it. They are not going to say"boy I wish you had a congress today, that two bladed jack would be mine if it was just a clip blade instead of spear". Only folks like us really care about the nuances of knives, to everyone else it is something cool you buy when you break or lose your other(if you have one at all). I just dont see how or why they would want to up production. They dont sell out everything and you can still find one example of most knives made still around. I completely agree with Jakemex as I was 10 when upperdeck hit the shelves and boy let me tell you it changed baseball cards. Everyone started coming out with elite lines trying to match the glossy better quality. It changed the entire industry of cards very quickly. GEC is already doing this to the traditional knife world. I prefer the exclusivity. If I ever come across another carrying one then I know they know what good cutlery is ;). Sure I hate that I can not just buy a courthouse whittler but think of the value. Look at CASE and their business model it is like new cars, the second you buy one it loses a 1/3 of its value. I buy and try new patterns with GEC knives because I can swap/trade or sell for pretty much retail value or heck above in some cases. I really dont want the knives I own to lose value because everyone can buy them but thats just my take on it. :)

For me, I'd like to them choose a "basic" jack-- a #15 or #66 or one of the new #68 Pony Jacks, in the 3.5" range with simple appointments-- and produce it as a regularly available item. Maybe three default patterns?

The goal would be to be able to point new/future costumers toward a knife they can have, a known quantity instead of yet another knife that, by the time it's established and comes into awareness beyond the small bubble of collectors and nuts, is no longer available and won't be.

~ P.

That makes two of us, though I'd pick the #73, #15, and the #62 half-whittler. All GECs are well-made, but these patterns just look right and have that old-time "elegance" that Dan referred to.

- Christian

That makes two of us, though I'd pick the #73, #15, and the #62 half-whittler. All GECs are well-made, but these patterns just look right and have that old-time "elegance" that Dan referred to.

I agree-- those three represent the foundational goodness of "GEC" very well, with a little something for everyone.

As for other patterns, this may well be redundant with their other offerings, but I'd still love to see a 3.25" "regular jack"-- shorter and rounder than the current #15s, longer than the #25s.

~ P.

I can see where everyone is coming from with the patterns and availability. If you get past the members of this and other knife forums how do people get to know or buy GEC knives? With less then a handful??? of store fronts around the world its not like most even know about them to buy in the first place. Maybe someone will come across one for sale at a gun show or something they will learn of the brand and consumers like that will buy whatever they see in front of them if they like it. They are not going to say"boy I wish you had a congress today, that two bladed jack would be mine if it was just a clip blade instead of spear". Only folks like us really care about the nuances of knives, to everyone else it is something cool you buy when you break or lose your other(if you have one at all). I just dont see how or why they would want to up production. They dont sell out everything and you can still find one example of most knives made still around. I completely agree with Jakemex as I was 10 when upperdeck hit the shelves and boy let me tell you it changed baseball cards. Everyone started coming out with elite lines trying to match the glossy better quality. It changed the entire industry of cards very quickly. GEC is already doing this to the traditional knife world. I prefer the exclusivity. If I ever come across another carrying one then I know they know what good cutlery is ;). Sure I hate that I can not just buy a courthouse whittler but think of the value. Look at CASE and their business model it is like new cars, the second you buy one it loses a 1/3 of its value. I buy and try new patterns with GEC knives because I can swap/trade or sell for pretty much retail value or heck above in some cases. I really dont want the knives I own to lose value because everyone can buy them but thats just my take on it. :)

I know that I found the whole mystique of "GEC" super appealing before I would admit to myself that I even cared about traditionals. I kept seeing GEC this and GEC that. Had no idea what it was. Then one day I started a thread about nice packaging in the general forum and someone said, if you want nice, get a GEC. It drove me nuts! I'm no knife expert, I'd never claim to be, but I'd say I'm fairly well versed on the various available brands out there. Imagine my surprise when I found out that the brand everyone was going on about, a NEW brand mind you, was a company making SLIPJOINTS of all things.

It didn't take long for my curiosity to collide with my wood carving hobby. Now I get it. I get the whole darn thing and I'm genuinely excited about a whole new genre of knives (for me) to obsess over, and it's hardly limited to GEC.

I agree with you. I'd like to see them remain the way they are for now. They (GEC) are COOL and that's something every knife company wants (needs?) to be.

I'm not sure that I'd be here now if it was Case alone (for the most part) that was responsible for ushering in the new fan base. As far as I can tell, GEC is doing just about everything right. ;)

Rockgolfer, you mentioned;

I prefer the exclusivity. If I ever come across another carrying one then I know they know what good cutlery is ;).

Well I completely agree. I have yet to actually meet anyone who carries one, in fact I have yet to actually meet another person who even knows what GEC is! Exclusivity is nice. I lent my white owl to someone the other day (last wooden wednesday probably) for some reason, and I could see them eyeing it with interest, they didn't ask though. I did not tell them, I just put it happily and mysteriously back into my pocket. (Of course if they had asked I would have babbled on for ages!)

Paul

Interestingly enough, one finds a number of GEC fans on the Case Collectors Club forum. I guess if you are into traditional knives you tend to be into all of them.

I too would like to see some of the older patterns that I missed be available again. I love the 2012 forum knife, for example, which I believe is a #74 Saddle Trapper pattern.

Back