Lets talk GEC!

Wish I could flitz off the boot - just personal preference, no offense to anyone that likes boots!

Have to agree :D

That particular SFO ticks all the turn-off boxes for me:D Cheap looking industrial etch, Blue-a no no colour in my knife stable, and that 'boot' if that's what it's meant to be:eek: I'd give it the boot ;)

It is good that GEC caters for many tastes though :thumbsup: Even bad taste...:D:)

Okay ... well ... I want a 0.1mm dot for my etch ... inside the tang stamp. :D

Yes, I'm sure Mr Howard would laugh and say "Good one, you got me with that. Ok folks, make him these SFOs for him with the etch like he asked." instead of saying "Don't call me again." and hanging up the phone on you.

Hey GEC, check out the selection of shields you have to offer. Are you guys saving these for something special? All your knives are special (except knives with hotdogs on them), you should use some of these shields instead of keeping them locked up. Lock up the hotdog for a couple years... it needs a break

GEC-SHIELDS.jpg

Would hurt my feelings none if they'd shelve the keyhole N'field shield for a while. Can't say I hate it, it's just not a favorite. Oddly the hotdog bothers me little

Hey GEC, check out the selection of shields you have to offer. Are you guys saving these for something special? All your knives are special (except knives with hotdogs on them), you should use some of these shields instead of keeping them locked up. Lock up the hotdog for a couple years... it needs a break

GEC-SHIELDS.jpg
I don't normally question GECs design choices...but I have to agree with you. Way too much hotdog going on. As with everything, it is just a personal preference that many probably like. However, I can't help but think some of the 29s would be better served with a different shield. But I digress...

GEC-SHIELDS.jpg
Are people engraving initials on the hotdog?

GEC-SHIELDS.jpg

You forgot the Boot

Hot dog is perhaps "overused", but let's not forget that Abe Lincoln's pocketknife had a hot dog shield. So there is a strong American tradition for it.

View attachment 1151634

That's a curved bar.. GEC's is literally a hotdog.

GEC is good at catering to a lot of different tastes, but even the folks that like the hotdog have to admit that we have been hotdogged to the max for too many years now. Throw as a star or a bomb more often GEC!

My H30 in Antiqued Cherry came in today (thanks @gunstockjack)! It's a beaut! I actually picked it up out of curiosity and figured there was a good chance that I would end up passing it along... But nope, I don't think that's going to happen. I like it much more than expected. I think my initial thought that the H10 would be a bit too small and the H30 about right was spot on. :D It's a great size for a light use, fixed blade. The fit and finish couldn't be any better either... To be honest, I think people are really missing out by overlooking GEC's fixed blades. My wife LOVES it too... She's actually a big part of the reason why it's probably not going anywhere. She just might like it more than me and I have a feeling she's going to "borrow" it soon.

And the sheath... Holy cow! I'm not usually a big fan of embossed leather, but I can't stop staring at this thing! Very, very well done!

6D5psbs.jpg

And look at the thinness of that blade! Just holding it gives me the urge to go slice an apple. This geometry was made to cut!

RuuksJt.jpg

And I apologize for posting a Buck... But there aren't many GEC H30s on the street and I want to give you all an idea of the scale. It's really a great sized knife! This is next to the ever popular Buck 102 Woodsman.

nXsiZ2W.jpg

More to come!

Last edited:
Next to come in was the GEC #93 Tidioute Oily Creek Bone Ram's Foot (thanks again @gunstockjack!) and Waynorth Cutlery #93 Ebony Lambsfoot! Beautiful knives (that's an understatement). I thought I had a solid idea of what to expect, but I was still slightly surprised by the size of the pattern. A lot of my modern knives with blades around three inches should be very scared right about now... The Waynorth is threatening to take all their spots. I can't wait for the jigged bone to come in tomorrow! I just got my stitches out today and I'm supposed to be taking it easy so the nature pics will have to wait (it's not all that nice out today anyways)... These will have to do for now. :)

First up is the Oily Creek. I was completely caught off guard by the beauty of the bone on this. Well done GEC!

bDnsWRR.jpg

yfDdRGL.jpg

I've been waiting awhile for this next one and it was well worth the wait! The GEC Waynorth #93 Lambsfoot in ebony! Wow! I wish I could go outside and try to get some pictures that do this knife justice. It's phenomenal. And the fit and finish? Again... Wow!!! I just don't know what else to say. I can't wait until I heal up and can really put this puppy to use!

8f10XVb.jpg

zTLgUEK.jpg

Ybrkqvn.jpg

Mvz0owz.jpg
NNe7WEu.jpg

FeKjo7f.jpg

Last edited:
I don't really mind the hotdog shield. I don't really love the "keyhole" shield (looks like a cloud to me). But I think both are used more often than they need to be.

I really appreciate that GEC is willing to do unique shields and look forward to anything new they're working on in that realm. I really liked the whale shield on last year's Rendezvous knife.

Back