Lets talk GEC!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by rockgolfer, Jun 23, 2013.

1. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    More patterns... in fewer materials... in larger numbers... :cool::thumbsup:

rdave, JD Bear, Tuna and 3 others like this.
  2. Rookie82

Rookie82 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2014
    Personally I like variety. I don't want to see 3000 of the same knife with same handles. I'd rather there be 10 different handle options with 300 of each. But as a factory owner with an assembly line, I can see how that is not ideal.

3. Scott J.

Scott J. Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 8, 2019
    I'd like same # of patterns, MORE materials and less numbers is fine. It seems you can usually get a non SFO without pre ordering so long as you dont wait a month to order.

Travman likes this.
  4. rpstrimple

rpstrimple Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I liked the SFOs, but if this means more variety and more patterns per year then I am for it. I just hope they incorporate some of the less common shield we've seen in them. Now we need to convince them to ditch the blade etchings and we have a perfect, quality built pocket knife on our hands.

KnifeandEasy, MCar, bbfish and 3 others like this.
  5. Kiteman72

Kiteman72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Having thought about it for a while, I think I will be content to save, literally, thousands of dollars per year.

I needed to slow down anyway, it's hard to keep all that carbon steel oiled.

6. bax229

bax229 Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2016
    I personally would like to see some more patterns coming down the line. But, will miss the surprise SFO & Northwoods offerings

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    Scott J. likes this.
  7. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero

Jan 5, 2014
    I was hoping the Piasa bird etch would become a big thing in the world.

So many creative knifes the past SFO’s offered, this is how it must have felt that mournful day when Smith & Wesson decided “we don’t need 5 screws to hold our revolvers together, let’s just use 4 screws”

bax229 likes this.
  8. mbkr

mbkr Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Or Florida.
    Or Michigan.
    Michigan would be tricky ;)

Prester John and bax229 like this.
  9. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    I hope the #33's are not a hint at another change - just two variations per pattern. More patterns - a fraction of the options.....

btb01, EngrSorenson, Shurke and 14 others like this.
  10. bax229

May 7, 2016
    Good point

11. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    My first GEC was a TC Barlow. The last 7 years I’ve followed GEC pretty closely, and many of the knives I’ve most enjoyed have been SFOs. I’m not naive enough to comment on this as a business decision, as I know very well that these unprecedented times put unprecedented pressures on small businesses that call for unprecedented decisions, but as a user, collector, and general fan of GEC and their knives I have to say I’m shocked and saddened by this decision.

I plan to do my best not to react till we have more info. If nothing else, it will be extremely interesting to see how this changes how people enjoy and interact with GEC in the future.

As confirmed by Mike, it does. No non in house branded knives.

I just talked to Joan Mae, and she said at least for the time being. Not clear if that more indicates temporary or permanent.

Yep. An old brand reinvigorated by GEC.....

I hope those complications are temporary and allow for this to be a temporary decision. I very much understand that for small businesses these are difficult times that require unprecedented decisions, so I’m doing my best to reserve judgement on the decision till we know more.

I sure don’t. @waynorth and @knifeswapper and Jay at KSF have absolutely helped propel GEC to its current popularity. This will hurt them financially on its own due to the lack of ability to have their products made, let alone if GEC uses those brands for themselves.

Northwoods is owned by KSF, but I believe TC and NF are more gentleman’s agreements. I assume Waynorth Cutlery is owned by Charlie.

It will definitely raise secondary market prices on SFO Knives.

I don’t know, but I’m not too sure those correlate negatively as clearly as you might think.

Yes. Although someone said the low variations of 33s was just because it was what they had on hand, that doesn’t seem like a full picture to me. I can’t help but think these two pieces of news might be related.

KnifeandEasy, Quiet, Wharn and 4 others like this.
  12. bax229

May 7, 2016
    Please elaborate...

I was asking if we would like to see more SFOs or more patterns throughout the year?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  13. Scott J.

Scott J. Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 8, 2019
    Hopefully they're not in trouble financially, but.......???

Will Power likes this.
  14. Augie

Augie Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2014
    I really wonder how much of this is because of the Covid shutdown, I don't know if they lost any key employees or are having difficulty with materials but I'm sure Bill has a good reason.

15. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    I cannot follow your optimism I'm afraid. But, I would not mind being wrong...

Certainly don't see any of this as a win-win situation at all, far from it. Given that the latest 33 run appears to be severely limited/truncated and that SFOs & club-knives are being discontinued, it might, might, suggest that the prolonged shutdown has caused production&financial problems. Not in itself surprising but very alarming for those running the company, on the work-floor and for us as connoisseurs of very decently made knives. Any contraction without explanation is to be viewed with disquiet, it's not win-win in my book until I see evidence of sustained, ambitious and healthy production.

Jolipapa, tmd_87, Quiet and 2 others like this.
  16. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    I might have misattributed a meaning to your question, but my point was that I don’t think it has to be one or the other.

If the shutdown has affected them anything like it has the small business I work for, which I’d think it’d affect GEC’s supply chain more, it could absolutely be a factor. But who knows, it’s all conjecture until they give more info (if they do, which they’re under no obligation to do)

17. AZCoyote

AZCoyote

Apr 30, 2019
    The news of no more SFOs is definetly sad news. My mayer and grosh 29 is one of my favorite knives I own. I guess now it will have to always stay a safe queen.

Jolipapa and tmd_87 like this.
  18. Wharn

Wharn Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2011
    My wife will be happy with this news :eek:

BIGDORK, A.S., EngrSorenson and 8 others like this.
  19. JB in SC

JB in SC Basic Member Basic Member

May 19, 2001
    Definitely bad news for a lot of collectors.

20. dragon.eyez

dragon.eyez

Mar 11, 2020
    I'm sad, but depending on how the change is implemented it could be a good thing. I could see GEC restructuring their business and start selling directly rather than from a bunch of "shops" that really don't add any value to GEC just funnel the profits to dealers who just take orders and ship stuff. The only advantage that the consumers have from having the different shops is that those shops have SFOs which collectors love. In any case I hope GEC still makes some small batch limited edition variations to keep things interesting.

tmd_87 and blademan 13 like this.