Lets talk GEC!

Although very similar, two of my favorite shields are the hounds tooth and the spear. The shape of the frame sometimes lends itself better to the shape of certain shields IMO. For instance the hot dog looks right to me on the #65s, and the banana looks good on the #62s.
I wonder if they will make any Bullnose 71's this year ?
I would be in for #71's. Especially if there were some different scale choices :thumbsup:

4 of my 5 GEC knives have no shield... one stag, one bone, and two wood. I tend to much prefer that look in general. To me it's cleaner and lets the handles speak for themselves.

Of the GEC shields, my favorite is the standard UN-X-LD.

The shape of the frame sometimes lends itself better to the shape of certain shields IMO.
I agree, curved bar type shields look nice on a congress imho. But lets be honest, who DOESN'T like a nice beaver
Z3TomrS.jpg

:D

Welp... there goes the Rendezvous... I wasn't planning on getting there this year, but with everything else getting cancelled I sure would have liked to have gone. Maybe next year. I've never been, but it seems like a great time.

Welp... there goes the Rendezvous... I wasn't planning on getting there this year, but with everything else getting cancelled I sure would have liked to have gone. Maybe next year. I've never been, but it seems like a great time.

I am sorry for those who were planning to attend. A lot of events I was looking forward to have been canned and it just sucks all around.

Pity about the SFOs. I hope it’s not a permanent development, many of the most interesting knives of the past decade were collaborations where Bill Howard built someone else’s design.

Still, Bill Howard makes great knives. That’s not going to change, he’s got decades of experience to draw upon. Plus, I’m sure he has a bunch of knife-obsessed buddies on speed dial should he want to discuss anything.

I’m just glad I was able to pick up a few of the knives I really wanted before this change.

Some of my favorite GECs are Tidioute’s with the hotdog shields. Personally I happen to like them! :p

It’s not my favorite, but I don’t dislike it, either. It’s certainly never stopped me from buying a knife. Now the banana shield on the other hand… :confused: :D

Barrett, do you still have that unique bearhead knife you've posted in the past? ;):thumbsup::cool:

- GT

Of course. :D

h0uBFXO.jpg

I also have shields that I prefer over the hot dog shield.
However, there are also some shields that I really do not care for at all.
It's a relief that the hot dog is their go-to standard to keep the offending shields limited.
The Tidioute and UN-X-LD shields are probably my favorites, I actually like the branding.
I much prefer the branding on the shields than etched on the blades. ;)

I like those branded shields, too, especially the UN-X-LD shield.

I wonder if they will make any Bullnose 71's this year ?

I would be in for #71's. Especially if there were some different scale choices :thumbsup:

If/when they do #71’s again, I have a feeling it will be a lot of the same (orange Delrin, black/red/OD linen Micarta, natural canvas Micarta) with maybe one new Micarta.

Personally, I’d rather see another run of #99 Farmer Locks than #71’s, but I’m always happy to add another Bull Nose, too.

WlXfKMC.jpg

C'mon - shouldn't July be hotdog month? :D

Je6AfvP.jpg

NqTffgD.jpg

q96u30P.jpg

xqP8bIE.jpg

It’s a sausage party! Wait… o_O :D

FXKmzz3.jpg

SFOs and shields...well here is dandy and those of you who bemoan the unavailability of 15s at retail better act quick! Love the federal shield and jigging on this knife...the long pull spear and pen in front is another nice feature. Barely visible is the bail hole...as mentioned above and elsewhere, just mash some walnut meat (yes, walnut not walrus) into hole until it is flush. Spread the oil around while you are at it...pecans work too.upload_2020-7-9_14-41-59.jpeg

One of the many things I enjoy about GEC knives is the excellent variety of classic shields. There are ones that I favor over others, of course, but there are very few that I straight up dislike. I am not overly fond of the banana, boot, old man, etc. and I also am not a big fan of raised shields like the Cripple Creek Buffalo (mostly because they are less apt to pin them and they are too much like the shields that are found on cheaper knives).

My only gripe with the so-called hotdog shield is that I have found it to be overly used. I think it suits micarta and other less exciting cover materials but it is always a missed opportunity when it is applied to woods like Ebony, smooth bone, and the like where something more interesting like the Federal, Badge, or Banner shield would be better served.

jAhwBH5.jpg

Boy, this place got lively with discussion and pictures. Count me excited. A lot of you folks sure keep those shiny!

how about a “GEC Collector User Knife Challenge”? Here’s the rules:

1) open to anyone with at least 1 “safe queen“
2) post a picture of your favorite safe queen right along side your most used GEC.

Safe queen here means any knife you actually hide from view: special box, original tube, vault, etc. unfortunately no rewards except bragging rights, but I think that goes a long way with this group.

how about a “GEC Collector User Knife Challenge”?

Fun Stuff!

My most "used" knives are my #66 Jack and my #73 Liner Lock.
Well, truthfully my most used knife is my Rosewood Lambsfoot, but this is a GEC thread.
My #66 is a frequent carry for me and gets posted in the Totin' thread a lot.
My #73 came to me "used" and I treat it as such because it is a great heavy-use knife for the outdoors.
I keep them clean and Flitz them often, but they are still showing their wear.

My "Safe Queens" aren't the typical ones you see around here. I actually use my (one) TC, (one) NF Barlow, and my CC Lambsfoot.
My first "Safe Queen" is truly a Queen... only taken out for pictures... My #48 Templar in Black Micarta. Don't see them around too often.
My other "Safe Queen" is my #92 in Elderberry Jigged Bone. I don't carry this knife because I actually don't like the knife.
I keep it though because I admire the pattern and this is an absolutely gorgeous knife.

Last edited:
My most "used" knives are my #66 Jack and my #73 Liner Lock.
My #66 is a frequent carry for me and gets posted in the Totin' thread a lot.
My "Safe Queens" aren't the typical ones you see around here. I actually use my (one) TC and (one) NF Barlows and my Lambsfoot.
My first "Safe Queen" is truly a Queen... only taken out for pictures... My #48 Templar in Black Micarta. Don't see them around too often.
My other "Safe Queen" is my #92 in Elderberry Jigged Bone. I don't carry this knife because I actually don't like the knife.

we have our first contender! Beautiful knives, every last one. I love the experience of getting a knife you don’t mind beating up on a little. The 66 speaks to me the most. Especially impressed by the Templar- I didn’t know they made that!

I'll play.

My most used GEC's versus their "safe queen" counterparts. For the record, I don't keep my knives in a safe or in tubes. I have a lovely display case/chest that I keep my collection in - a gift from my wife from a few years back.

Zj5GlBk.jpg

iRMKT7s.jpg

AV18cVX.jpg

Back