Lets talk GEC!

It might get used more than the blade if you like modern craft beers, 90% of which come in bottles, and bottles of the non-twist variety...

Around here, we're about 50-50 cans-bottles for craft beers these days. Bottles are on the way out.

My guess, and follow along with me on this is something that takes a bunch of steel.

They are running the 33s because of raw material issues. I believe that material is the steel. The source their steel locally and that vendor got shut down too. It takes longer for the steel people to get up and running again after an extended shut down. The 23s used up all the steel in house so now they are delayed.

For a 3 blade stock/cattle knife on a 35 or 53 frame. With krinked blades just for you EngrSorenson EngrSorenson .;)

Reactions: AnW
If I was being selfish...
I'd like to see a shortened #78.
3-1/2 inch, round bolster, end cap, acorn shield, no half stop, long pull spear blade.

My guess, and follow along with me on this is something that takes a bunch of steel.

They are running the 33s because of raw material issues. I believe that material is the steel. The source their steel locally and that vendor got shut down too. It takes longer for the steel people to get up and running again after an extended shut down. The 23s used up all the steel in house so now they are delayed.

For a 3 blade stock/cattle knife on a 35 or 53 frame. With krinked blades just for you EngrSorenson EngrSorenson .;)

I dunno. How much steel does 500 or even 2000 pocket knives really use in the grand scheme of things. Compared to almost any other industry, hardly any. And I think 1095 (and other blade steel) is chosen as much for industry commonality as any inherent virtues. I could be wrong but I’d guess they can get all the steel they need. Cover materials may be different story though.

Rumor has it the 35 is coming up after the 33’s. 33’s were a filler while they waited for material.

and apparently, we are going to see a lot cool variations but NO Scout knife. Maybe even an SFO or two that were on the books before the new rule.

This rumor is going around on another forum.

Last edited:
I dunno. How much steel does 500 or even 2000 pocket knives really use in the grand scheme of things. Compared to almost any other industry, hardly any. And I think 1095 (and other blade steel) is chosen as much for industry commonality as any inherent virtues. I could be wrong but I’d guess they can get all the steel they need. Cover materials may be different story though.

while they waited for material
Steel;)

I don't get the infatuation with the caplifter
shrugging.gif
It’s 6 more times a day you can use your knife.
It might get used more than the blade if you like modern craft beers, 90% of which come in bottles, and bottles of the non-twist variety. I don’t like the idea per se from a “platonic ideal of the knife” point of view, but can’t deny I’d use the heck out of it.
80% of the craft beers in North Carolina are coming in cans these days.
60% of the time a 6 pack of Miller Lite bottles comes in bottles every time

It's the strength of the pin. This is from a reliable source from GEC.
"Brass bends/yields @ 88% load than nickle silver."

A couple things to note here:
That might be why so-and-so reputable-whoever said they did it’s misleading in two ways.
1) the pin fails in direct shear (not in bending), which for 360 brass is 37,700 psi.
2) a brass pin with 1/16” diameter, going really small for conservatism, can take 116 lbf in shear. The load is shared by two sides, so that’s 232 lbf the joint can take.

I happen to have a #92 in my pocket right now:
Using the #92 master spear blade for the geometry, I figure the force at the tip of the blade is approximately 8x at the joint.

with a piddling 1/16” diameter 360 brass pin, you can apply about 30 lbf directly to the tip (perpendicular to rotation) before it would fail.

1/16th brass pin -> 30 lbf
1/8th brass pin -> 116 lbf

I’m not sure what they’re worried about, but I’m confident brass can handle whatever nickel silver can in a slip joint.

maybe one of our knife makers could chime in here and provide some more information, but I think that’s pretty good for back-of-the-envelope.

A couple things to note here:
That might be why so-and-so reputable-whoever said they did it’s misleading in two ways.
1) the pin fails in direct shear (not in bending), which for 360 brass is 37,700 psi.
2) a brass pin with 1/16” diameter, going really small for conservatism, can take 116 lbf in shear. The load is shared by two sides, so that’s 232 lbf the joint can take.

I happen to have a #92 in my pocket right now:
Using the #92 master spear blade for the geometry, I figure the force at the tip of the blade is approximately 8x at the joint.

with a piddling 1/16” diameter 360 brass pin, you can apply about 30 lbf directly to the tip (perpendicular to rotation) before it would fail.

1/16th brass pin -> 30 lbf
1/8th brass pin -> 116 lbf

I’m not sure what they’re worried about, but I’m confident brass can handle whatever nickel silver can in a slip joint.

maybe one of our knife makers could chime in here and provide some more information, but I think that’s pretty good for back-of-the-envelope.
There is nothing misleading about it at all.

You asked
Anyone know if there’s a rationale why we don’t see brass more often for bolsters and shields?
I relayed that question and gave you the answer.
"Brass bends/yields @ 88% load than nickle silver."
That is the rationale why you don't see brass bolsters and shields more often. It may not be sound rational, but it is the rationale non the less. Nothing misleading.

Here's my most carried GEC. Before this knife I was really only interested in single blade knives being I came over as a modern knife user. This knife changed the way I collect and carry and definitely taught me that two blades on a frame is a great thing.
MVIMG_20200713_192421.jpg

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200713_192421.jpg
    MVIMG_20200713_192421.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 1
Here's my most carried GEC. Before this knife I was really only interested in single blade knives being I came over as a modern knife user. This knife changed the way I collect and carry and definitely taught me that two blades on a frame is a great thing.
View attachment 1377659

Ugh, a ruined 77 with all that patina. I’ll pm you my address so you can rid of that hideous thing.

I knew someone would say that. I for one use a knife at nearly every opportunity whether I need to or not. Pretty sure I could make it through ok if I didn’t carry one at all. But if I got one I’ll use it, I like bottles, I like knives

Recently I helped my neighbor carry in 4 pieces of a countertop he was installing. The biggest was 360lb:confused:
When all done, they offered me a beer and his wife opened it up with a bottle opener. Found out after I chewed tiny bits of glass that you can break a glass top if you pry off a twist top.

There is nothing misleading about it at all.

You asked

I relayed that question and gave you the answer.

That is the rationale why you don't see brass bolsters and shields more often. It may not be sound rational, but it is the rationale non the less. Nothing misleading.

You’re correct, it’s not misleading. I was trying to use the language to sound less hostile and it backfired. I’ll say it plainly:

Favoring nickel silver over brass for the difference in shear stress handling at the pin is a decision made without much consideration of the use or magnitude of the applied forces.

And if GEC wants proof, we could talk about the number of failures they’ve had in the F&Fs or the #44’s with brass pins. I’m willing to gamble it isn’t happened.

so GEC, with this sole reason debunked, please make me some knives with brass bolsters and wood handles- please and thank you.

I love single bladed and two bladed knives equally and for different reasons. Hard to turn away the utility of a second blade, isn’t it? That’s also a winning combo: clip and sheepsfoot/coping. Beautiful knife, great patina.

Back