1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Let's talk Northwoods

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by SadSappySucker, Feb 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Chief

Chief Chief Master Sergeant USAF (ret) 1975-2000 Platinum Member

Nov 15, 1998
    Nice slip, sweet stabilized covers (although I did get cart napped once), excellent fit and finish, great job KSF and GEC!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bax229

bax229 Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 7, 2016
    Beautiful!

Chief likes this.
  3. jkwithawave

jkwithawave ..... Platinum Member

Sep 8, 2011
    This just in, a Red Linen!
    20190727_133905.jpg

bbk357, GunGraber, Ramrodmb and 16 others like this.
  4. Leebotheblue

Leebotheblue Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2007
    My two arrived today. I missed the Mammoth I wanted, thought my second choice was going to be the jigged bone, but panicked at the last minute and got the micarta as well. Now I'm stuck with two....oh no...the horror! I normally regret my impulse buying, I think I'm ok with it this time. Both have great walk and talk. Only thing I find less than perfect is that the spring is a little proud on both in both positions, but it's not something that bother's me on a Northwoods. I always kind of feel like their esthetic is rough finish. I didn't think I'd like the red micarta, but it reminds me of red coral used in Native American jewelry and is growing on me by the minute!
    IMG_3274(3).jpg

bbk357, Ramrodmb, Chief and 17 others like this.
  5. Leslie Tomville

Leslie Tomville Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2016
    5083653B-2358-4722-954A-09EE525803FC.jpeg 6E28F9EF-AEE1-4B66-8206-D1F516AE993D.jpeg

Cocobolo checking in!

Nice one @Chief !

@Travman , I knew you were going to get a Cocobolo Travis! I have read your comments lamenting the lack of wood covers on recent Northwoods. I thought of you as soon as I saw the Cocobolo option. The wood works very well in this set up doesn't it? You have a great one. Congrats!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    bbk357, Ramrodmb, Chief and 18 others like this.
  6. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Nice one there, Gary. I think we have the same taste in knives, my Cocobolo is in my mailbox waiting for me to get off work.:D:D

jkwithawave and Leslie Tomville like this.
  7. Travman

Travman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2016
    [​IMG]

bbk357, Ramrodmb, Chief and 17 others like this.
  8. LTSweeney18

LTSweeney18 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Are these a tad smaller than the Ram's Foot? KSF's specs show it being a tiny bit smaller than the Ram's Foot specs.

Leslie Tomville likes this.
  9. Jiki

Jun 12, 2018
    A little darker, I like it.[​IMG] [​IMG]

bbk357, jkwithawave, TFBraden and 5 others like this.
  10. Jiki

Jun 12, 2018
    I believe they are the same frame.[​IMG]

bbk357, TFBraden, JohnDF and 7 others like this.
  11. cricks1492

cricks1492 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 14, 2013
    Really happy with how this appaloosa bone turned out. This thing is excellently done—transitions are very smooth, perfect centering, back springs are flush on open and close. A very well done piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Matt_WY, bbk357, TFBraden and 18 others like this.
  12. Jiki

Jun 12, 2018
    They make a nice pair.[​IMG]

Matt_WY, bbk357, TFBraden and 11 others like this.
  13. Rookie82

Rookie82 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2014
    I admit I only spent 1/100th of a second when choosing and buying, so I really didn't know how this one looked until it arrived today in my mailbox. Very happy, it has great character in the bone. Fit and Finish are perfect, as always. nw-appaloosa.jpg

Matt_WY, bbk357, TFBraden and 16 others like this.
  14. MCar

MCar Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Lots of great mammoth this run. This is one of the Signal Jacks that found its way to me.

The action on the Signals is better, out of the slip, than any of the Rams, I feel.
    [​IMG]

Matt_WY, GunGraber, TFBraden and 15 others like this.
  15. gaj999

gaj999 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Same frame, more attractively proportioned blade.

blademan 13, LTSweeney18 and Meiggs like this.
  16. Timeinthefield

Timeinthefield Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2019
    First time poster here, figured I’d make it a helpful one! I received my Burnt Sienna Northwoods today and it is identical (other than some aesthetics) to my GEC 93 with the same cover. Same size handle/blade/overall length. I actually wished I had gotten an Appaloosa bone only because the one I ordered is basically the same knife as the Ram GEC I have that came out a week or two ago.

Jathes, jkwithawave and LTSweeney18 like this.
  17. Timeinthefield

Jul 27, 2019
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cricks1492, Matt_WY, bbk357 and 10 others like this.
  18. bbk357

bbk357 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2018

Same blade? I’m not sure about that.

19. Timeinthefield

Jul 27, 2019
    I only meant it was the same general size hence my mention of different aesthetics. Both are beautiful and different enough to justify keeping, I just wished I’d have picked up the Appaloosa cover instead. Hope that clears up what I meant. Nice to meet you by the way!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TFBraden, JohnDF, Augie and 5 others like this.
  20. MerryMadMonk

MerryMadMonk Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 22, 2011
    Welcome to Blade Forums and the Traditionals subforum. We don't trade/buy/sell here. This is a knife discussion subforum.

Here's the link for the trading forums:

Trading Forums

JohnDF, Peregrin and Ramrodmb like this.