Let's talk Northwoods

The scagel style northwoods are my favorite . I feel like the arrowhead shield is better suited in a rustic form. Premium handle GEC's with heat scale doesnt quite match the shield in my opinion . I would of bought some of the recent runs if the shields were different or absent. The Gec made fruitport is my favorite Bonn made northwood . Did gec cut the hole nick or was that out sourced like the blade grind?
Also want to mention that I'm just pointing out my preferences. Im not trying criticizing Derrick's business . His customer service has been very good and I look forward to future purchases .

Last edited:
The scagel style northwoods are my favorite . I've mentioned in other threads how I feel like the arrowhead shield is better suited in a rustic form. Premium handle gec's with heat scale doesnt quite match the shield in my opinion . I would of bought some of the recent runs if the shields were different or absent. The Gec made fruitport is my favorite Bonn northwood made . Did gec cut the hole nick or was that out sourced like the blade grind?
Also want to mention that I'm just pointing out my preferences. Im not trying criticizing Derrick's business . Hid customer service has been very good and I look forward to future purchases .
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

IMO customer feedback on their preferences is like gold to good companies & all my past experiences with KSF point to them being that.
The Customer Is King baby ! These items aren't necessities, just potential wants. I sure as heck don't 'need' another knife. But I just might want another one if it strikes my fancy. :)

Last edited:
Derrick, I think Dave would appreciate that the brand is still used on high quality knives that are made in the USA. It would have been unfortunate if the brand got scooped up by that place in the mountains or Taylor brands. Have you used the Scagel mark? Do you have that stamp? That might be something neat to use on a fitting pattern in the future.

IIRC they sold off those Scagel rights quite a while back Jake. Shame.

They made a run of Scagel knives with GEC, the Fruitport and the Barehead Jack which both looked far better/individualistic with consistent ties to a truly rustic look than any of the current offerings in my opinion with that 'rustic' scale.

I like the Scagel discussion in here, I haven't had the good fortune of owning one , but they sure are stunning.

That being said, I think Derricks creations so far are what pulled me towards traditional knives, I'm sure I'm not alone. I missed out on many that I would be happy to see another run of. The upcoming Hawthorne is one of them, Indian river jack, Burnside jack, bullet jack, Broadway jack, Forest Jack, heck even the Presidential was one I missed and looks like an outstanding knife.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like the Scagel discussion in here, I haven't had the good fortune of owning one , but they sure are stunning.

I saw a Scagel fixed blade listed somewhere recently. (I don't recall where). -- It was listed at $20,000.00

Yep, all those zeros are Not a typo.

Thank you for the info, Tim. I had wondered if they were both still owned by KSF.

In that case this topic of Northwoods knives is now quite separate from Scagel knives. The high quality knives that Dave produced through American manufacturers is a continuing tradition through KSF.

I saw a Scagel fixed blade listed somewhere recently. (I don't recall where). -- It was listed at $20,000.00

Nice! Yeah that doesn't surprise me, I'm sure it was a beauty!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think I am happy and sad to see this thread...

I very much appreciate the following we have. I do not try to just "do a GEC with an arrowhead" but I can see where people might think that. We work hard to supply higher end scales and work to build different takes on patterns. You will see much more of that in the future.

In any event--to answer the questions I saw.

The folder made by Bark River is a little ways out.
The Hawthorne coming up will be in both clip and wharncliffe varieties.

We have cool stuff coming down the pike. Stay tuned.

as a newcomer to traditional knives, this has me very excited!

I very much appreciate the following we have. I do not try to just "do a GEC with an arrowhead" but I can see where people might think that. We work hard to supply higher end scales and work to build different takes on patterns. You will see much more of that in the future.

Derrick, you read my mind- I was just saying to myself as I read the posts 'it's the handle materials that really sets the Northwoods knives apart'. Simply stunning!

I guess it is what it is.

Recently I was looking at photos of 'Ford Mustangs' through the years - from their introduction in 1964 to today. Though all those vehicles carried the same 'Mustang' name, they were drastically different from one another. Entirely different cars.

Similarly, there are the knives made by William Scagel. There are the knives by custom makers that are done with elements of the Scagel knife designs. There were the Scagel inspired knives from Dave Shirley under the Northwoods name. And there are the Northwoods knives made by GEC and marketed by KSF today. All of these knives are quite different and its up to the buyer to decide if he likes them & wants to buy them or not.

I guess it is what it is.

Recently I was looking at photos of 'Ford Mustangs' through the years - from their introduction in 1964 to today. Though all those vehicles carried the same 'Mustang' name, they were drastically different from one another. Entirely different cars.

Similarly, there are the knives made by William Scagel. There are the knives by custom makers that are done with elements of the Scagel knife designs. There were the Scagel inspired knives from Dave Shirley under the Northwoods name. And there are the Northwoods knives made by GEC and marketed by KSF today. All of these knives are quite different and its up to the buyer to decide if he likes them & wants to buy them or not.

well said. it's fascinating to me how modern northwoods knives represent that evolution which is inherent to all things, even the consciously conservative world of traditional slipjoints.

This reminds me of an incident about 9 or 10 years ago. A lady bought an old fixed blade knife at a garage sale for $5. She decided to list it on Ebay a short while later. The "Questions and Comments" section was visible for all to see during the auction and there were several pages of comments. I remember her commenting that she would have been surprised to get $15 for it. Turns out it was an original Scagel and ended up selling for something like $11,000.

Someone on another forum posted a link to the auction while it was still live and I remember watching those bids increase. Probably the most interesting Ebay auction I've ever followed.

This has already been a really informing thread. I for one never really knew the history of Northwoods pre KSF. I knew they had something to do with Scagel, but then again I never really knew much about Scagel either.

well said. it's fascinating to me how modern northwoods knives represent that evolution which is inherent to all things, even the consciously conservative world of traditional slipjoints.

Well, this was my point in this open ended invitation to discuss Northwoods knives. IMO, today's Northwoods are not an evolution coming from the Scagel designs and Dave Shirley's Northwoods interpretations of that. I see nothing common to the three except that they are knives and have an arrowhead shield. Someone stated earlier that KSF sold the Scagel brandmark. (Dave Shirley had obtained it as part of his vision for his Northwoods.) There are likely also manufacturing and legal issues involved which are not known by the public. That includes what GEC is able & willing to do, and at what price. Also, what elements of the Scagel designs could be used without causing legal problems. Perhaps using the arrowhead shield was the practical limit to what KSF could do with their Northwoods. I dunno.
Of course, from reading some of the comments, it can be seen that much of this history wasn't known by some of those reading this thread. If they like what they see in the current Northwoods, more power to 'em. Buy them & enjoy them. GEC makes a nice traditional knife. - - Those who have something else in mind can always commission a custom. It will cost more than the GEC, but will be far cheaper than an original Scagel.

Bottom line, we all enjoy knives and are fellow 'knife knuts'.

Since were talking Northwoods, here's something else I'll bring up. As mentioned, 'Northwoods' was the brand created by Dave Shirley who wanted to (and did) come out with Scagel design influenced production knives. After Dave passed away, several of Dave's knives were offered for sale by KSF. I really kick myself today for not picking up more of these when available. I remember that there were fixed blade knives and they remained on KSF for quite some while. (- sound of me kickin' myself again ). These definitely had that Scagel look - - hunting knives with lots of horn and leather. Just websearch Scagel knives and you'll see what I mean. At the time, I didn't buy one because I thought 'I can always grab one later' and they were too pretty for me to want to use hard in the field. I do a lot of hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, etc and bought knives that I used, scratched, and banged up at that time. Bill Scagel was a huge influence on modern knife design; that's why Dave Shirley wanted to honor him. But, those fixed blades had a look quite different from today's taste for the 'tacti-cool'. - - A small number of us may want a traditional looking product from a decades old design, but if a manufacturer/retailer can't sell enough of them to justify the costs, it makes no sense for them put it out. Undoubtedly, all this comes into play in the knife biz. Thankfully, we live in a time with good production knife manufacturers and talented custom makers. We can just about buy whatever we want - - as long as we're willing to pay for it.

The Scagel fixed blades offered at KSF appear to be made by Bark River. Was wondering if KSF owns the entire trademark or are these a separate company?

Not owning the scagel trademark explains the change in direction . Bummer!

I may be wrong (usually am...) but I thought KSF now owns the Scagel name. I've got a two KSF/Scagel folders and they're full of character. I keep thinking the chances are better that they'll be back now that Bark River is getting into folders. My two Scagels went through a few hands to reach final production, starting with build by Queen, then sent over to BRKT for a nice convex sharpening, then over to Derek for final sales. Now I think about it, my Scagel Fruitport may actually be a GEC 48 (still with the great BRKT convex grind).

~Jim

Back