Let's talk Northwoods

One of the few slipjoints I carry is a Northwoods that I got years ago. It had some blemishes on the blade so last year at a grind in I had one of Bark River's guys put a convex edge on it after cleaning it up. It too is a cutting machine.

The D2 was a great steel and when it gets a good convex, it is amazing.

One of the few slipjoints I carry is a Northwoods that I got years ago. It had some blemishes on the blade so last year at a grind in I had one of Bark River's guys put a convex edge on it after cleaning it up. It too is a cutting machine.

I'll have to pick up a Queen slip-joint in D2. I see that KSF carries them. I have a belt sander/sharpener to do the convex edges on it myself. (That's also packed in storage at the moment, though. I wonder if Bark River still offers that service.)

Just saw this thread, I love my Northwoods, the Fruitport is a truly great knife! I will have to take a picture of my Northwoods family one of these days, there is a lot of ivory in that there drawer.

Steven

Hey Derek! What are the chances of the Dogwood being run again under the Northwoods name?
67173846-0737-41E1-8E00-ECE645F3783A_zpsjpte2cq6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

~Jim

Derrick - puuuuullllleeease can you make some more Fremont jacks?!? LOL. Hands down my favorite knife! Also, my birthday is September 20th ;)

Keep up the great work my friend!

We are kind of talking about two different things.

Scagel was a knife trademark with roots to Bill Scagel and so all of the designs were tied to THAT tradition. We bought the Scagel trademark from Dave and we made quite a number of Scagel pocket knives with all of them with roots back to Scagel. A couple of years ago I sold the Scagel trademark because I didn't feel like I had the bandwidth to spearhead two different style of brands...

Who markets under the Scagel trademark now? Who makes the knives?

Who markets under the Scagel trademark now? Who makes the knives?

I sold the mark to Mike Stewart and a friend of his. They are making fixed blades right now. We will still carry the brand, I just don't have anything to do with designing them any more.

Hey Derek! What are the chances of the Dogwood being run again under the Northwoods name?
67173846-0737-41E1-8E00-ECE645F3783A_zpsjpte2cq6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

~Jim

I would say not. I have suggested to the new owners that they should run the Dogwood again. It is, hands down, my favorite Scagel folder we made. It was a nightmare because Queen completely messed it up the first time and they all had to be re-done, but when they were, they were good.

We worked off a picture of an old Scagel. Very few changes.

My sweet stag Northwoods that I admire regularly. The fit and finish on this model is simply great. I like everything about this knife.

Last edited:
My sweet stag Northwoods that I admire regularly. The fit and finish on this model is simply great. I like everything bout this knife.

I just bought one of those. I can't wait to get it.

It was made by GEC and has s60v steel. I think it was the only time GEC used a super steel. :)

I only have one so far, but love it. Have a Michigan in Bloodwood. Now I'm simply starting to crave more. [emoji16][emoji41].

2cwtvth.jpg

•••••••••••••••

Sent from my mind....using Tap-a-Thought. (tm)

Last edited:
I just bought one of those. I can't wait to get it.

It was made by GEC and has s60v steel. I think it was the only time GEC used a super steel. :)

Derrick - You were the retailer. Why would you need to buy one? Didn't you keep some for yourself?

regarding "current" northwoods knives, is the forest jack the largest pattern in the lineup? i'd love to get my hands on one -- it seems like the traditional slipjoint market is moving towards smaller and smaller knives these days, unless i'm mistaken.

Picked this beauty up from the exchange. Just delivered today, and I absolutely love it!

86bc1aea4d16f0b7b1874c4a90bf743e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

regarding "current" northwoods knives, is the forest jack the largest pattern in the lineup? i'd love to get my hands on one -- it seems like the traditional slipjoint market is moving towards smaller and smaller knives these days, unless i'm mistaken.

The Madison Barlow is right up there size wise at 4.25" closed.

Back