LIFE.

Amy-0

Staff member
My Mother had surgery a week from today. Everything was perfect. They got everything (Cancer). I took a breath and finally exhaled and focused on the plan that we all had. Within hours, my wonderful mother turned into something I have never seen. Each hour, every minute, she was mean, violent, confused, very delusional. The nurses, Drs were unsure what was going on. Long story short, My Mom got to come home on Friday (Insurance companies ??) and according to My Mother “She has people” that will take care of her. Umm…that would be me. When you hear your mother say such horrible stuff (I know she did not mean it) but it really is affecting me. I took it “Like a champ” She is much better and I am hoping to catch up on like 100 hours of sleep. Family is so very important to ME. I just want to say a HUGE THANK you to Jerry and Jennifer Busse. Jennifer is such a kind friend, with the late night texts when I felt defeated. You gave me strength when I needed it most (I love you) Kendra, and the whole Busse Crew I LOVE you and THANK YOU so much.

Troy and myself want to THANK, Jerry (Our friend,) yes, (that is Boss Man Jerry). Jerry Busse, THANK YOU for being there for us during a difficult time. I really have the nicest Boss in world (Jerry, YOU are) Nothing but LOVE from the Reynolds.

I am hoping to be back at work later in the week. Mom has a lot of appointments and I NEED that sleep. XOX0

Amy-0

I spoke with you and Jerry on the phone less than two wks ago.. and "secured" a gorgeous new Whiskey Warden. Was very nice to meet both of you.
(I love the knife, BTW...thanks to you and Jerry)
It's particularly tough taking care of parents when they get out of the hospital...she may be "coming down" from the various meds that they fed her while in there. Cancer is sure to cause tremendous worry in a patient's head...whether the doc says they "got it all" or not. Her continued "worry" is not surprising...I would be a train-wreck under similar circumstances.
I hope she will get better soon and give you some peace (and sleep) also.
She is so very fortunate to have a daughter like you.
May God bless you and your family.
don d. aka sonnydaze

So good to hear such good things about the people behind my favourite knife company.

And Amy wish you best of luck to you and your family!

All the best for your mum Amy. I hope she bounces back from the hospital experience quickly. Her behaviour certainly sounds like something to do with the drugs she would have been given. It can take anywhere from a couple of weeks to a few months for that stuff to get out of your system. I know this because I'm experiencing it myself atm. :)

Good news to hear! and it's so amazing to have a great family to watch your back. Those are rare and special and at times, especially now, they are priceless.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you, your family, & your friends. You are one tough, loyal, & very supportive cookie!
Hope your mom gets better quickly and life returns to normal for you.
Hang in there!

My wife and I took care of her mother for 15 years while her Alzheimers progressed over the years. Good times and sad times, but they were always times that we were glad we got to have and share. No regrets that we had her home and spent our days caring for her. My wife was laying next to her on her last night. We cherish the memories. You will too.

Glad to hear your mom is out of hospital and things went well. Thoughts and prayers for you and your family. I hope your mom has a speedy recovery.

prayers to you all my dear friend.

Best of luck to you, Amy. I have been my 89 year old mother’s live in caregiver for the past four years. Like someone said. It’s another full time job.

Amy,

I'm glad your mom got thru the surgery ok, but I'm sorry to hear about the mental confusion.

Before I continue, let me say I am NOT a doctor or medical professional. But, I had a somewhat similar experience with my mom (significant, sudden mental changes).

Any elderly person displaying unexplained behavioral changes should be checked for a urinary tract infection (UTI). Many years ago I had to take my mom to the ER for sudden mental changes, and the doctor said it is common for the elderly with symptoms like this to have a UTI. Just a week or so ago, my 89 year old neighbor was found in bed by his son in a very confused state – the cause was a UTI. Below is an excerpt from an article; google "UTI elderly" (without the quotes) for many more articles:

COMMON WARNING SIGNS
A sudden change in behavior is, in fact, one of the best indicators of a urinary tract infection in older adults. Some common warning signs might include the onset of elderly urinary incontinence, confusion or not being able to do tasks the patient could easily do a day or two before. “Anytime there’s a change in an older adult… if one day they’re able to dress themselves or feed themselves and then there’s a sudden change, a red flag should go up in a caregiver’s mind,” Treinkman says.
https://www.aplaceformom.com/planning-and-advice/articles/elderly-urinary-tract-infections

The good news is it is relatively easy to treat (although my neighbor required intravenous antibiotics over a couple days in the hospital). I'm guessing your mom might have had a catheter while she was hospitalized, which can contribute to developing a UTI. I recommend asking her doctor to check for a UTI. Take care, and best wishes; I will keep praying!

Good to hear things are progressing as well as they can be and I hope she is getting some rest and recovery. It's good that she has "people" she can lean on, she appreciates it :)

Amy, I hope your mom whips this like Bama is whipping everybody this year (so far!)

Roll Tide and prayers from Alabama

What a shame, very difficult. Sounds like it might have been 'anethesia dementia'. My dad had it bad after knee replacement surgery.

Amy,

I'm glad your mom got thru the surgery ok, but I'm sorry to hear about the mental confusion.

Before I continue, let me say I am NOT a doctor or medical professional. But, I had a somewhat similar experience with my mom (significant, sudden mental changes).

Any elderly person displaying unexplained behavioral changes should be checked for a urinary tract infection (UTI). Many years ago I had to take my mom to the ER for sudden mental changes, and the doctor said it is common for the elderly with symptoms like this to have a UTI. Just a week or so ago, my 89 year old neighbor was found in bed by his son in a very confused state – the cause was a UTI. Below is an excerpt from an article; google "UTI elderly" (without the quotes) for many more articles:

COMMON WARNING SIGNS
A sudden change in behavior is, in fact, one of the best indicators of a urinary tract infection in older adults. Some common warning signs might include the onset of elderly urinary incontinence, confusion or not being able to do tasks the patient could easily do a day or two before. “Anytime there’s a change in an older adult… if one day they’re able to dress themselves or feed themselves and then there’s a sudden change, a red flag should go up in a caregiver’s mind,” Treinkman says.
https://www.aplaceformom.com/planning-and-advice/articles/elderly-urinary-tract-infections

The good news is it is relatively easy to treat (although my neighbor required intravenous antibiotics over a couple days in the hospital). I'm guessing your mom might have had a catheter while she was hospitalized, which can contribute to developing a UTI. I recommend asking her doctor to check for a UTI. Take care, and best wishes; I will keep praying!
This is very true. My wife,mother in law and wives Aunt have been taking care of my wives 93 yo grandmother. There has been several times in the last several months where she had started talking out of her mind and hallucinating,hospice nurse would say it is just about her time to go but each time turned out to be a UTI.

Back