Liking my new Rough Riders

I have not been a traditional knife guy particularly...in practice. Usually use a Stanley 99 or a multitool. Plus I kind of like to buy higher-end stuff for myself...Spyderco, Benchmade, Becker, ESEE, etc.

But I have always liked traditionals. Well there, under glass and my local Army surplus store, were three different patterns of Rough Riders, all in the very attractive amber bone. I picked up the larger trapper, the small trapper, and the congress. Very impressed for the priced point. Fit and finish was quite acceptable. Scales very nicely blended in. Blades pretty darned straight and centered (if not perfectly so). VERY good factory edges on all the blades except for the large trapper and just a quick touch up on a diamond rod corrected that problem. I'll lay it hard and heavy on a Sharpmaker when I get a chance.

Very impressed with what I got for the money. It will probably shove me across the divide into GEC or something but I am pleased.

Good to know about the quality you've found on your new Rough Riders - thanks!

Pictures, pictures, pictures. If there's no pictures, it didn't happen. ;)

I don't know if these are exactly what HoosierQ picked up, but here are amber jigged bone Rough Rider trapper, small trapper, and congress that I've had for at least 2.5 years, and I still think they're very fine knives. :thumbup:
RR full-size trapper:
mFF0i2p.jpg

RR medium trapper:
baw7Uoj.jpg

RR congress:
gGPYJiR.jpg

- GT

GT, those do look very nice. I really like the look of the match striker nail nicks.

RRs are great for trying out various traditional patterns to see how they work for you. Even if you end up preferring some other design than the one you bought, you can easily give an unwanted RR to a beginner or a friend without feeling like you giving away a family treasure.

And I think you'll find they last longer than you'd expect for the price.

I don't know if these are exactly what HoosierQ picked up, but here are amber jigged bone Rough Rider trapper, small trapper, and congress that I've had for at least 2.5 years, and I still think they're very fine knives. :thumbup:
RR full-size trapper:
mFF0i2p.jpg

RR medium trapper:
baw7Uoj.jpg

RR congress:
gGPYJiR.jpg

- GT

Yep. Those are the three exactly.

Glad your impressed, my only RR is a yellow trapper I won in a giveaway and while the walk and talk is great the blades weren't perfectly straight. I've straightened them but they were bent when ground which can't be corrected.
I'd still take the chance on another rough rider knife though as everything else about the knife gives me confidence in them.

I like all my Rough Riders. Some so much (like the large Sunfish and 4 1/4 inch Stockman's) I just "had" to get another "just in case" it got lost or stolen. Of course with the Stockman's I got different handles: stone, yeller, and Lucky Green
:)

I really do like my various Rough Riders. I have more than a few. They have been quite helpful in letting me try out different patterns. My favorite Rough Riders are the canoes and barlows. I have several of each. Just last week I acquired a red jigged bone barlow and a red smooth bone canoe. Rough Riders are great knives for the money and are tough enough for my needs. Easy to sharpen, and they look good, too.

Alex

image.jpg1_zpsoadsnzjk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

image.jpg1_zpsgiqx3tro.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC_0578_zps1hxrsxco.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hard to beat a RR for the money.

Their Mini Copperhead is one of my favourite knives and gets a load of carry.
I like the long Clip in a small frame, excellent W&T and no blade rub on a single-spring. I have a back-up one too, the steel is excellent.
There's something very satisfying about a decent knife that's inexpensive, it merits use.

IMG_3743.jpg

Will, That is a good looking mini copperhead. I do believe I must have one now. :D. I've always liked the looks of them but never picked one up. Thanks for twisting my arm. :p

Will, That is a good looking mini copperhead. I do believe I must have one now. :D. I've always liked the looks of them but never picked one up. Thanks for twisting my arm. :p

You won't be sorry, Dave. (Your smooth tobacco bone RRs look good, man! :thumbup:)
Will, that photo of your baby copperhead inspired me to buy one last summer (although I had to "settle" for the red bone version because I couldn't find a dealer that had the amber bone in stock), and I totally concur with your opinions about the quality of the knife!! I hope Rough Rider is giving you a sales commission! :D
qAhiFcL.jpg

- GT

Last edited:
Thanks Gary. It would be nice if RR had a wharncliffe copperhead in smooth tobacco bone. For $10. :D. I'd buy that.:thumbup:

For the money one spends, RR are a good huge value on a lower budget and nice knives overall TD

RR was a gateway knife for me. I bought a few and liked them. Then I ventured into Schrade USA, Camillus ... on the Bay. Now it's a GEC thang.

Back