Lion Steel "Roundhead" Euro-Barlow

I’ve wanted one for a while now and have a Stag, Bocote, white CF & Micarta incoming.

I've got a Shuffler Bocote reserved but the white Cf and micarta are really nice looking. The ram and stag pics haven't even showed up yet and I'm already debating about a second one.
Excellent job knifeswapper knifeswapper !

This little knife makes me smile. Very well done. I bought two of the CF version - one to use and one to tuck away in the safe. While the edge was decent from the factory, I knew it could be better, so today it got the Wicked Edge treatment. Factory bevel angle was around 26 DPS, I took it down to about 22 DPS. Much better, scary sharp. Looking forward to seeing what this little guy can do :)

Mine arrived a little after lunchtime :) . It feels heavier than it looks, but it's a good kind of weight, like a nice solid heft. The carbon fiber accents the titanium bolsters quite well. I'll have to get used to the non-locking aspect, as I usually rest my thumb on the spine of a blade which cannot be done here.
*gripe removed ;) *
Overall I am liking it a lot, I can't wait to put it to work!

Last edited:
My apologies if I offended you, I suppose I should've kept it to myself (this isn't a review thread after all), I removed it. I really do like the knife, currently wondering if i should get a slip for it or not.

Last edited:
the slips are very nice. i just got my second roundhead, these are great knives. Shuffler on reserve, Viper EO too. guess I'm a believer.

My apologies if I offended you, I suppose I should've kept it to myself (this isn't a review thread after all), I removed it. I really do like the knife, currently wondering if i should get a slip for it or not.

No, no, no - I was just joking with you. I don't like it either - it catches my cleaning chamois. I just thought the wording was funny.
My apologies that my humor is so out of practice.

It's all good then :) I'll leave my comment as is though, I've worked hard on things before and was never thrilled when someone pointed out minor issues.

Anyways what a knife!

No, no, no - I was just joking with you. I don't like it either - it catches my cleaning chamois. I just thought the wording was funny.
My apologies that my humor is so out of practice.
Yeah I noticed that it catches those cloths for me too but once you know it it is an easy issue to deal with.

I got my Roundhead in the other day and between house shopping, working on my '71 Ford, and all the other little things that tend to occupy one's time in the general course of life, I haven't had a lot of time to really experience the knife. Now that it is Monday and I am at my desk, I can give this little beauty the attention it deserves. My desk at work is usually littered with knives as I like to fidget with them while I am writing code. Where one might use this opportunity to use a modern flipper in this capacity, I play with slipjoints. Using the natural materials as a sort of worry stone, experiencing the walk and talk, it all contributes to a rather tactile and pleasurable experience while I puzzle over any number of issues that can plague one whilst programming.

I actually ordered 3 of these knives, one of which I am keeping and the other two are getting shipped abroad to a friend. Two clad in Ram's Horn and the third in Stag. Since I would like my friend to have the pleasure of revealing his knives when he gets them in hand, I will not display those here. However, I will say that the Stag is some of the best, if not THE best, that I have seen on these CK Euro Barlows, it is quite exquisite and I really cannot wait for the recipient to experience it.

When I initially ordered my first in Ram's Horn, I had informed Mike that I didn't have a preference between light and dark horn, they both have looked exceptional in the past. When I ordered an additional Ram's Horn and Stag, I ended up receiving both a light and dark example of horn and as I was only keeping one, it made the choice rather difficult. On one hand, I really enjoy dark colors on my knives, but on the other hand, the pale golden color of light horn really tends to draw you in. Ultimately, I couldn't decide based on the aesthetics and so I held each one in hand and was surprised to find that the slabs between the two knives varied ever so slightly in thickness, with the dark horn being the slimmer of the two. The light horn was a bit chunkier, but not at all in an unpleasant way.

Still torn, I began to think about how this knife was going to be used: Premium stainless steel with titanium hardware and bolsters with rugged Ram's Horn covers. All the makings for an excellent working knife, in my opinion. Though it is still a slipjoint, I don't generally use my folding knives for real heavy work so I don't suspect that I will lament the absence of any sort of locking mechanism. Still, the Roundhead should be expected to hold up to significant use so the knife I choose would have to feel the best in hand towards that purpose. So I chose the example with the lighter colored horn. The chunky covers fill the hand very nicely and it is very, very comfortable to handle.

Now for the big reveal!

Mark side:

qetAjYY.jpg

I really, really like the color of this horn and the flashes of red you see embedded within. I am a sucker for red anyway so I found what others might see as blemishes to be icing on the cake for me, in a sense. The horn is smooth for the most part but as you can see, there are some of the natural grooves that one should expect to see on Ram's Horn. A lot of depth to this material and such a pleasure to have in hand and look at.

Pile side:

Hn3Tqio.jpg

Note the black streak towards the top of the blade well. Lots of depth still but not a lot of texture, quite smooth for the most part. Bits of red, black, and gold to be seen.

I will go over some elements that I have noted other folks drawing attention to when reviewing knives such as walk-and-talk, blade centering, flush at half stop, etc.

Blade and Edge:

The spear point blade is among one of my favorites, being versatile, aesthetically pleasing, and strong. Coupled with a fine straight edge like a lambsfoot or sheepfoot, one could rule the world, yes? I love the blade shape on this Roundhead and the double sided long pull is a unique and thoughtful touch.

The etched logos seem substantial and don't look like they are going away in a hurry. Not obnoxious or garish, they give the blade a handsome air.

The edge is decent out of the box but, as usual for a factory knife, can be better. The grind is a little inconsistent towards the sharpening choil but nothing too serious. It is only noticeable when the light hits it a certain way. Something that can be remedied on the stones in due time.

General Fit and Finish:

One of the things about this knife that I found different, and it could be because I have become so accustomed to GEC and/or traditional slipjoints in general, is the "rounded" backspring and liners. They aren't seamless and can be seen and felt individually. Due to the somewhat modular design, I find this feature to be remarkably thoughtful and not at all displeasing. Since disassembly of the knife has been rendered practical with its screwed construction, the rounded/chamfered edges do not have to meet such tight tolerances in order to maintain good fit and finish should the user opt to take it apart for cleaning and/or cover changes.

I am generally not a huge stickler when it comes to fit and finish in general. So there might be things that others pick up on that I do not. Overall, I would say that there is a lot of thought and care that went into this design and I think that it was executed very well.

Walk and Talk:

I would say that this would be my one and only complaint with this knife. The pull is pretty moderate with the blade being pinchable for me if I grip right at the long pulls on either side of the blade (I find this to be a plus). Half stop feels a little spongy but continues to snap into the open position reasonably well. Closing the knife is where it really demonstrates its sluggishness. Half stop is still spongy and beyond that, the blade does not snap closed with any good amount of authority. I did notice that there are washers at the pivot and that there is some sort of compound present as well. Perhaps flushing and use might improve its action? I also think I recall someone mentioning something about tightening the pivot some too.

I will wait before I do anything, just in case more experienced folks chime in later. Regardless, not a deal breaker for me by any means, I am sure there is a sort of break in period and this knife's action is only going to improve.

At the half stop:

UI9gy0h.jpg

Fully open:

7MHEwpc.jpg

Centering:

For those that care, this blade is pretty well centered. Though I know that blade centering is indicative of quality craftsmanship, it has never been something I ever gave much thought to until I saw that it was a thing to look for when buying and selling knives, particularly modern ones. As this is a modern take on a classic pattern, making adjustments seems to be quite possible should the need arise. That being said, out of the box, this one is good to go.

0g94ID8.jpg

t4eiAAv.jpg

To be honest, I had never really grasped what the size of this knife was in comparison to other patterns in the past and I find it to be a pleasant surprise that it is of a similar size to the recent run of GEC 78s and of course, that means it will be similar in size to the 77s as well. A perfect size for a working knife and especially excellent for those of us with hands on the larger size. The chunkiness of the horn covers make this Roundhead substantially thicker than a single blade 78 but it fills the palm exceptionally well while the long bolsters allow for a bit of a taper so that you don't feel like you are handling a gigantic brick of a knife.

8yAsnD7.jpg

T1OLmjt.jpg

Overall, this is an excellent knife and a terrific effort by Mike to incorporate an exceptional mix of the modern and traditional in order to produce a high quality knife. I am going to use and treasure this knife for what I hope to be a lifetime. Well done, Mike! Thank you for all that you do, I am looking forward to the Shufflers when they are ready.

Last edited:
- mighty fine pics there, Dylan :thumbsup::thumbsup::D ....she's an utter beaut

Absolutely wonderful review too, very well felt and scribed.

Last edited:
Mine should be waiting for me at home right now, this is what I've been looking forward to all month long. Thank you so much for providing me with my birthday gift, a mainstay in my collection, and a beautiful knife to admire!
Edit: I got the white carbon fiber version if you're wondering

Pàdruig Pàdruig , thanks for the comprehensive and well photographed review! That's a beauty. I've abstained from snapping one of these up but you might have just tipped the scales. If only I wasn't so in love with my GEC 78's. Enjoy that knife.

I received both of my micarta examples today and while they both had sticky action, the one I've decided to use got worked and is already getting smoother. Excellent overall!

I got my Roundhead in the other day and between house shopping, working on my '71 Ford, and all the other little things that tend to occupy one's time in the general course of life, I haven't had a lot of time to really experience the knife. Now that it is Monday and I am at my desk, I can give this little beauty the attention it deserves. My desk at work is usually littered with knives as I like to fidget with them while I am writing code. Where one might use this opportunity to use a modern flipper in this capacity, I play with slipjoints. Using the natural materials as a sort of worry stone, experiencing the walk and talk, it all contributes to a rather tactile and pleasurable experience while I puzzle over any number of issues that can plague one whilst programming.

I actually ordered 3 of these knives, one of which I am keeping and the other two are getting shipped abroad to a friend. Two clad in Ram's Horn and the third in Stag. Since I would like my friend to have the pleasure of revealing his knives when he gets them in hand, I will not display those here. However, I will say that the Stag is some of the best, if not THE best, that I have seen on these CK Euro Barlows, it is quite exquisite and I really cannot wait for the recipient to experience it.

When I initially ordered my first in Ram's Horn, I had informed Mike that I didn't have a preference between light and dark horn, they both have looked exceptional in the past. When I ordered an additional Ram's Horn and Stag, I ended up receiving both a light and dark example of horn and as I was only keeping one, it made the choice rather difficult. On one hand, I really enjoy dark colors on my knives, but on the other hand, the pale golden color of light horn really tends to draw you in. Ultimately, I couldn't decide based on the aesthetics and so I held each one in hand and was surprised to find that the slabs between the two knives varied ever so slightly in thickness, with the dark horn being the slimmer of the two. The light horn was a bit chunkier, but not at all in an unpleasant way.

Still torn, I began to think about how this knife was going to be used: Premium stainless steel with titanium hardware and bolsters with rugged Ram's Horn covers. All the makings for an excellent working knife, in my opinion. Though it is still a slipjoint, I don't generally use my folding knives for real heavy work so I don't suspect that I will lament the absence of any sort of locking mechanism. Still, the Roundhead should be expected to hold up to significant use so the knife I choose would have to feel the best in hand towards that purpose. So I chose the example with the lighter colored horn. The chunky covers fill the hand very nicely and it is very, very comfortable to handle.

Now for the big reveal!

Mark side:

qetAjYY.jpg

I really, really like the color of this horn and the flashes of red you see embedded within. I am a sucker for red anyway so I found what others might see as blemishes to be icing on the cake for me, in a sense. The horn is smooth for the most part but as you can see, there are some of the natural grooves that one should expect to see on Ram's Horn. A lot of depth to this material and such a pleasure to have in hand and look at.

Pile side:

Hn3Tqio.jpg

Note the black streak towards the top of the blade well. Lots of depth still but not a lot of texture, quite smooth for the most part. Bits of red, black, and gold to be seen.

I will go over some elements that I have noted other folks drawing attention to when reviewing knives such as walk-and-talk, blade centering, flush at half stop, etc.

Blade and Edge:

The spear point blade is among one of my favorites, being versatile, aesthetically pleasing, and strong. Coupled with a fine straight edge like a lambsfoot or sheepfoot, one could rule the world, yes? I love the blade shape on this Roundhead and the double sided long pull is a unique and thoughtful touch.

The etched logos seem substantial and don't look like they are going away in a hurry. Not obnoxious or garish, they give the blade a handsome air.

The edge is decent out of the box but, as usual for a factory knife, can be better. The grind is a little inconsistent towards the sharpening choil but nothing too serious. It is only noticeable when the light hits it a certain way. Something that can be remedied on the stones in due time.

General Fit and Finish:

One of the things about this knife that I found different, and it could be because I have become so accustomed to GEC and/or traditional slipjoints in general, is the "rounded" backspring and liners. They aren't seamless and can be seen and felt individually. Due to the somewhat modular design, I find this feature to be remarkably thoughtful and not at all displeasing. Since disassembly of the knife has been rendered practical with its screwed construction, the rounded/chamfered edges do not have to meet such tight tolerances in order to maintain good fit and finish should the user opt to take it apart for cleaning and/or cover changes.

I am generally not a huge stickler when it comes to fit and finish in general. So there might be things that others pick up on that I do not. Overall, I would say that there is a lot of thought and care that went into this design and I think that it was executed very well.

Walk and Talk:

I would say that this would be my one and only complaint with this knife. The pull is pretty moderate with the blade being pinchable for me if I grip right at the long pulls on either side of the blade (I find this to be a plus). Half stop feels a little spongy but continues to snap into the open position reasonably well. Closing the knife is where it really demonstrates its sluggishness. Half stop is still spongy and beyond that, the blade does not snap closed with any good amount of authority. I did notice that there are washers at the pivot and that there is some sort of compound present as well. Perhaps flushing and use might improve its action? I also think I recall someone mentioning something about tightening the pivot some too.

I will wait before I do anything, just in case more experienced folks chime in later. Regardless, not a deal breaker for me by any means, I am sure there is a sort of break in period and this knife's action is only going to improve.

At the half stop:

UI9gy0h.jpg

Fully open:

7MHEwpc.jpg

Centering:

For those that care, this blade is pretty well centered. Though I know that blade centering is indicative of quality craftsmanship, it has never been something I ever gave much thought to until I saw that it was a thing to look for when buying and selling knives, particularly modern ones. As this is a modern take on a classic pattern, making adjustments seems to be quite possible should the need arise. That being said, out of the box, this one is good to go.

0g94ID8.jpg

t4eiAAv.jpg

To be honest, I had never really grasped what the size of this knife was in comparison to other patterns in the past and I find it to be a pleasant surprise that it is of a similar size to the recent run of GEC 78s and of course, that means it will be similar in size to the 77s as well. A perfect size for a working knife and especially excellent for those of us with hands on the larger size. The chunkiness of the horn covers make this Roundhead substantially thicker than a single blade 78 but it fills the palm exceptionally well while the long bolsters allow for a bit of a taper so that you don't feel like you are handling a gigantic brick of a knife.

8yAsnD7.jpg

T1OLmjt.jpg

Overall, this is an excellent knife and a terrific effort by Mike to incorporate an exceptional mix of the modern and traditional in order to produce a high quality knife. I am going to use and treasure this knife for what I hope to be a lifetime. Well done, Mike! Thank you for all that you do, I am looking forward to the Shufflers when they are ready.

Very nice review and a beautiful example of Ram’s Horn. I really like the red color shot through the horn.

*Please keep in mind that these are first impressions*
So I opened my WCF yesterday, and it's a very beautiful knife. In my opinion, the white doesn't look like it pops out at you, giving it a more subdued silver look. I tried the walk and talk, and considering that this is (officially) my first traditional, I think that its very well done, and you have to be definitive about how you open and close it. The knife fits in my hand very well, I get a 4 finger grip and although it doesn't make me melt into it, I'm not afraid of any hotspots. What I noticed when trying it after school is that when my hands get sweaty, this knife gets slippery, so using this in front of pretty girls is a no go haha. This knife is almost perfect for me except for two things, one is that I HAVE to open carry it in my state, so I am looking into buying a sheath with a pocket clip (if this is a wrong choice, please lead me to the right product), and the other is that I now need to get a super steel strop because although the knife is sharp, it is not as sharp as I would have thought, so I want to advance my poor man's strop (cardboard/ green compound) to a more advanced setup (leather/ diamond compound). This knife is great, and I certainly can't wait to carry it and use it!
Edit: the left knife handle seems a little taller than the right on, but because I am a righty, I will not have to worry about that, because it will dig into my finger meat oh so nicely!

Back