Lion Steel "Roundhead" Euro-Barlow

Hi Mike knifeswapper
This was a great run. Thanks!
Do you think it will raise the price too much if Lionsteel would use Swedish Damasteel on one of the next batches? They use that steel on at least one model that I know.

Pàdruig Pàdruig - what a wonderful, wonderful fella

Dylan - you have cheered my miserable grey cold damp London day up immeasurably - big THANK YOU for sending these across the pond to my open arms.

Will post a couple more photos in the pics thread...

LS%20Barlow%2001.jpg

Beautiful stag covers on that one!

.......what an absolute pleasure this is to use :D

Between 5 ~ 10mins on the Sharpmaker at 20º each side and hair-shavin' immediately

Just had its first proper chore in the kitchen.......perfect, love it.

LS%20-%20Barlow%2007.jpg

Last edited:
Roundhead gets thrashed here in a review.

https://www.everydaycommentary.com/2018/1/27/lionsteel-roundhead-review

I agree about the tang and grind (just got mine back from an expensive regrind) but otherwise I'd take a Roundhead over a Proper any day.

If I didn't know any better (and I don't), I'd say the author has a bit of an axe to grind...

Subjective observations aside, the tone that was set was rather mean spirited, despite the author supposedly rewording it.

Considering that I find the Benchmade Proper somewhat revolting, I am rather amused that he feels that it handily outclasses the Roundhead....

Roundhead gets thrashed here in a review.

https://www.everydaycommentary.com/2018/1/27/lionsteel-roundhead-review

I agree about the tang and grind (just got mine back from an expensive regrind) but otherwise I'd take a Roundhead over a Proper any day.

I own many slippies, nearly all custom.

This Lion Steel is a cleverly produced production penknife that allows fit and finish quality to come out at a fair standard. But, what you also have to look at is value for money - in those stakes alone, it scores very well indeed.

Having watched the threads, I plumped for a couple with natural handle materials, and the result imho is highly pleasing, and gives the knife immediate character.

It is comfortable in the hand, easy to open and easy to close, the pull suits my kind of use...........any chores/tasks that require me to wince cos the pull isn't bear-trap quality - I reach for fixed blade long before.

My first ever comment on seeing pics of the knife months ago were all positive except for the tang, but now I've had it/used it a while, not a problem - let's call it a quirk of character.

If that fella doesn't like it, hey, not a problem.........more for us who do

If I didn't know any better (and I don't), I'd say the author has a bit of an axe to grind...

Subjective observations aside, the tone that was set was rather mean spirited, despite the author supposedly rewording it.

Considering that I find the Benchmade Proper somewhat revolting, I am rather amused that he feels that it handily outclasses the Roundhead....

- wholeheartedly agree with my Oregon friend :thumbsup:

I have read through some of his other reviews, particularly those involving traditional patterns and his review of the Benchmade Proper.

I am under the strong impression that he simply does not "get" traditional cutlery. The tag line on his blog says it all, he is here to counter the fan boys....

With traditionals becoming more and more popular, it should come as no surprise when someone seeks to disrupt the tide.

Last edited:
I wrote a comment on the blog (awaiting confirmation) saying that I was confused about his knocking the blade for the stock thickness. Comparing the spines, at least visually, it's identical to my Alox Pioneer. That's perhaps not the thinnest but far from outside the realms of traditional knife blade thickness! Those SAK Alox's have been around for a very long time. I don't have any bigger non SAK traditionals to compare it to though but I'm sure the gentlemen here will. His comment about requiring hollow grind for a traditional blade is just weird. Hardly any trad's have hollow grind and I'm personally grateful. Hollow grind is inefficient for slicing stuff larger than the blade. With traditional blades, that's almost everything.

Edit, found a Case Sodbuster Jr, also the same stock thickness at the spine.

Let's go find a knife that seems to be getting overwhelmingly positive reviews. Then let's make sure my advertisers won't mind. Then let's try and get ourselves some attention.....
Yeah, kinda sounds more pro-"hipster" IMO :rolleyes:

Oh man, that's gorgeous. Makes me wish I'd jumped on that one.

No white carbon fiber for round 3? I don't see it on the early reserve page but want to make sure I'm not missing something. Will there be another round of the clip point ones, by any chance? :)

Oh man, that's gorgeous. Makes me wish I'd jumped on that one.

No white carbon fiber for round 3? I don't see it on the early reserve page but want to make sure I'm not missing something. Will there be another round of the clip point ones, by any chance? :)

As long as people want them made, we will schedule them. The hope is to take the three best selling variants from the last run and try two new ones. The white carbon fiber was popular, but I wasn't really a huge fan of the gloss finish. It can come back later if folks really want it to.

I agree with Mike re: the gloss finish. I actually looked twice to see if it was some sort of peel off plastic protectant layer like you would get on a phone when new! Grabbed my reading glasses to check then handed it to my rookie partner with his young eyes to make sure. Striking looking but top finish was too plasticky I thought.

Not sure whether to talk about the review or not. The comparison of a barlow to a fruit tester in the video indicates that the book inside the "Chinese Room" is not Levine's Guide. :D In some ways the internet has become that locked room and social media has become the book. Online knife discussion often follows a code that was not written in old catalogs or old articles. You probably won't even find the word "traditional" in them. No disrespect intended to the author but I disagree with much of the review. Some of the points of disagreements are about specific details like the type of grinds typically used on old knives. Some are more general. The Euro Barlow is what the Proper never was. It is an old pattern. It is "traditional". ;) I think it's a smart step into a growing market of old patterns made with modern materials and/or construction. Obviously, it's been very successful too. Decades ago, Buck made a similar step with the 110 and it has become a new classic.

Last edited:
I bought one of the White Carbon Fiber Roundheads and although I admit to being surprised by the glossy finish, I think it is rather attractive.

I got a Palo Santo in the 1st run and have no disappointment. I have enjoyed adjusting the edge on my waterstone, but it cut just fine before that. It is the perfect length and had a nice feel in the hand. The rounded spring and blade suit the modern features well. It is a great modern take on a traditional knife. I haven’t held a Benchmade Proper, but I prefer the look of the lionsteel.

Back