Little Social Distancing Fishing.

Jason!! When did you get old and bald?!?!? :eek::rolleyes:o_O:p:D;)

Bald.....well I first noticed it thinning at 23. So been shaving it ever since, I keep threatening my daughter I’m going to let the sides grow out. Then the gray.......well, I blame my children for that. And just old fashioned getting wise!

Cam, normally we let them loose but that one swallowed the hook pretty good and by the time we got it to shore, it was bleeding pretty bad from back of the throat. I didn’t want to risk letting it go and having a slow painful death, so that we deemed him best for the dinner table. Occasional family members want one if they are cooking a special dinner for someone so I’ll harvest them at that point.

Now the frogs.....that’s a free for all and we target them as much as we can!

Riding around the other day on duty I caught something out the corner of my eye and thought it was a dog at first then on close inspection it was a giant alligator snapper walking across the grocery store parking lot. I guided him to a nearby canal hopefully to live the rest of his unnatural long life in peace.

Bald.....well I first noticed it thinning at 23. So been shaving it ever since, I keep threatening my daughter I’m going to let the sides grow out. Then the gray.......well, I blame my children for that. And just old fashioned getting wise!

Cam, normally we let them loose but that one swallowed the hook pretty good and by the time we got it to shore, it was bleeding pretty bad from back of the throat. I didn’t want to risk letting it go and having a slow painful death, so that we deemed him best for the dinner table.

Now the frogs.....that’s a free for all and we target them as much as we can!

Riding around the other day on duty I caught something out the corner of my eye and thought it was a dog at first then on close inspection it was a giant alligator snapper walking across the grocery store parking lot. I guided him to a nearby canal hopefully to live the rest of his unnatural long life in peace.
Oh, I hear ya on making good use of an animal that likely would not survive, no qualms there!!!

It pains me when reds and specks that are not keepers really swallow the hook all the way down and you have to let them go, food for another creature, such is life...I'd just rather catch the same one in a few months!

Ya'll motivated me to take my little one out today and catch a Bowfin. Went and got my license, drove the 90 minutes to the old marsh area I used to fish 23 years ago... and it's now a gated Yacht club :poop:

Went to a small park about 1/2 mile inland with a stocked lake and got her a taste of bobber fishing with worms instead :D

Nothing in these photo's required a hammer, hatchet, nail, Busse or a Cajun Beau-hunk :thumbsup:

IMG_4072.JPG

IMG_4073.JPG

IMG_4074.JPG

I’m digging the matching pole / outfit / chair!
Very important to accessorize! It always makes my grinch heart swell when kids enjoy fishing!

Training Lex up on a bait caster.....laaawwd what have I got myself into. Pretty sure I spent 2 hours fiddling with “birds nest” but he has to learn. Setting up 5 gallon buckets and old tires as points of aim. I think I’m going to smoke a stogie while he practices today.

cpirtle .. great pics!

OK, all you fisher types, when and why does one choose a bait casting rig over a spin casting rig? :confused:o_O:oops:

I prefer spinning reels, BUT I’m dabbling in bait caster, some of my semi-professional associates swear you can cast faster and when you’re good and have the spool on free spin, they say you can cast further. Now I was fishing next to a fella with a bait caster and I don’t know if it was the totality of his technique and rod and reel but he was outcasting me by 10 yards with flick of his wrist. I had to add 1/2 Oz extra weight and get a running start with 2 hands and a crow hop while yelling “ THIS IS SPARTA” to reach the same distance.....

But they are tournament fishers and I sit on my bucket on the shore in the same spot for hours on end. Learning patience, actually drives me insane fishing with a few friends. They troll wide open cast once in each spot and off to the next. I enjoy working an area thoroughly before moving.

but again, I’m just trying to get into them so I really don’t know for sure. I grew up on spinning reels and so did Lex. But never hurts to expand your knowledge base.

Last edited:
The only time I fished with a pro was the first VietNam Veterans' Reunion in Branson Missouri in 2005. After trying his bait caster several times I switched back to my Shimano spinning reel. At least I was good for a few laughs!:rolleyes:.............:D:D

I am going to stick with Ohio fishing. The fish here don’t have the potential to eat you instead of the bait.
Louisiana looks like a place we’re everything wants to kill you. Fish, snakes, gators, I am good.
Garth

cpirtle .. great pics!

OK, all you fisher types, when and why does one choose a bait casting rig over a spin casting rig? :confused:o_O:oops:
My dad always used a spinning reel, while I used a bait caster. I preferred the simplicity of bait casting, but he could always cast farther than me. He loved catching largemouth bass on fairly low test weight line, and he was really good at it. Garth probably knows where Angola, Indiana is – we went there every summer to fish; the lake had a great variety of fish including both largemouth & smallmouth bass, northern pike, perch, bluegill, crappie and others. It's been a long time ago, but those were some great times.

I grew up (not done yet) surf casting 4 oz lures with 14 foot surf rods off the beaches here in Northern California for stripped bass. I started with spinning and moved to a conventional because I could cast it A LOT farther. Also for constant casting you don't handle the line as much and when I was in really cold water for hours with cold hands it seemed easier to control the line with a conventional. And then what really counted..... conventional reels are what real men used :)

I fished a baitcast reel when I was younger and wanted to be cool. Hated it, especially for shoreline fishing. They have more cranking power for big fighting fish because you are reeling directly onto the spool, like a winch, but the same benefit is a curse when casting because the weight of your setup is what's pulling the line out by rolling the spoo, set the drag too low to get longer casts and yay!.. Backlash. Now that I have had one I see their benefit for people fishing from boats who do a lot of cast and retrieve, flipping and close range casting in general. You can also troll with them better because of more line control. I also feel they have better drag control plus the benefit of using your thumb on the spool for various scenarios

Spincast reels like the fully enclosed Zebco's we all grew up with and open face Spinning reels have no tension on the line when casting but rely on a feed mechanism to bear the weight of the fish and can fail easier under load.

Just my $0.02 and it may be worth exactly that.

I am going to stick with Ohio fishing. The fish here don’t have the potential to eat you instead of the bait.
Louisiana looks like a place we’re everything wants to kill you. Fish, snakes, gators, I am good.
Garth

That's why we need all the infi we can get around here. I always have my ASHBM close by too. Got my BT6 on the hip today. Sure would like a battle pappy though.

I fished a baitcast reel when I was younger and wanted to be cool. Hated it, especially for shoreline fishing. They have more cranking power for big fighting fish because you are reeling directly onto the spool, like a winch, but the same benefit is a curse when casting because the weight of your setup is what's pulling the line out by rolling the spoo, set the drag too low to get longer casts and yay!.. Backlash. Now that I have had one I see their benefit for people fishing from boats who do a lot of cast and retrieve, flipping and close range casting in general. You can also troll with them better because of more line control. I also feel they have better drag control plus the benefit of using your thumb on the spool for various scenarios

Spincast reels like the fully enclosed Zebco's we all grew up with and open face Spinning reels have no tension on the line when casting but rely on a feed mechanism to bear the weight of the fish and can fail easier under load.

Just my $0.02 and it may be worth exactly that.

That all makes sense. Especially that last part about the Zebcos. Until this post, I never understood the point of going to a spinning reel or baitcaster when the Zebco has always worked fine. Maybe still don't, since I apparently don't fish for major fighters. Never had a big problem reeling in any fish on a Zebco. I guess the fish were just too small.

I used to use a Zebco 606, then moved on to a Zebco 33. I caught a lot of fish with them, but nothing particularly large. I use my spinning reels now that I have moved on to bigger and varied varieties of fish.

Back