Lock face wear

Well, finally got around to doing some work on this... removed the detent ball, hardened the lock face w/ a torch, and tomorrow I will be doing some major detent work!

I will be removing the secondary detent on the show side so it's not in play whatsoever, then I am installing a ceramic detent ball on the lock bar side and drilling a new hole in the knife blade tang. At this point I will adjust it to where it has perfect detent retention so when it opens it is nice and snappy yet not too hard (like a flipper would be).

i-6TdDt4T-X2.jpg

Just my 2 cents and not so humble opinion. Waving Emerson's open for the hell of it and making that the primary opening strategy is abusive of the lock. The wave is a vital option when needed but shouldn't be the primary way to open the knife.

I have had two abused Emerson's bought second or third or fourth hand, a Commander and a PSARK (12 months use in Afghanistan by a Ranger) , where the the liner went all the way over to the G-10. While there was significant up and down lock rock, the blade would not close on my hand during use.

If you over use the wave on your Emerson you should expect lock wear and when it gets to the point where you have up and down rock then send it to EKI and they will fix it. If you live too far from EKI get a local shop to build you a larger stop pin or peen the end of the lock to make it a few thousandths longer.

If you don't like the way Emerson's wear, or the water jet marks on the liners and blade spine, or the fit between the scales and liners, or the chisel grind, go buy a different brand. If you want Emerson design but in a heavy duty build get a ZT 620 or 630.

I would never choose a folder as my single self defense knife. Fixed blades are more reliable. When I carry folders for self defense they are usually Emerson's with the primary a relatively unused knife and the second a well used knife for utility and back up.

Or Emerson could do what Spyderco does.

Put a steel insert into the Titanium liner . I don't think Spyderco has the idea copyrighted do they?

Love Emerson designs they are beautiful knives. Don't like the huge variances in lockup and don't like liner locks to begin with. weak unreliable lockup for knives that are supposed to be hard use.

still love the Emerson look though and have owned 5-6 over the years . sold my Persian years ago and miss that knife hugely

They really should just use a steel liner for the lock side, if weights an issue just skeletonize both liners...

They really should just use a steel liner for the lock side, if weights an issue just skeletonize both liners...

I much disagree. Titanium is a better spring, and it has better "bite" on the ss blade. As for inserts, I won't buy a liner/frame-lock with a mechanically attached lockface piece. KISS.

I like late lockup. I must be in the minority.

My Mini 15 is at 100% after 388 days of carry and use. No lock rock at all. No worrys here. If it developes any I'll send it in and Emerson will make it right.

What a complete misinformation here.

Aren't you the guy who claimed to have sent his Emerson in for warranty 3 times? The guy,and knife, that Ernest couldn't find in the company records?

Well I gots an a100 on the way. Can't wave it. It'll be interesting to see how it breaks in.

Im impressed with this offering. Lockup not too early and just the slightest bit of stick that is barely felt and the slight audible pop. And it's centered and smooth out of the box.
image_zpsp0lffect.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

It will take a long time or a lot of waving to wear that lock face. I don't know about carbidizing but I think you'll be safe for a long time when you get it back.

Besides, you can always send it in again. :)

Another solution is to rotate the stop pin which may be slightly flattened. In a severe case on a pimped knife that couldn't go back to EKI, I had a stop pin made that was .002 bigger in diameter in the center. Doesn't take much to change lock up.
I know this is a really old thread but who made the oversized stop pin for you? I had the blade on one of my knives zirblasted, but the guy that did it also blasted the lock face so now it has a small amount of lock rock.

I know this is a really old thread but who made the oversized stop pin for you? I had the blade on one of my knives zirblasted, but the guy that did it also blasted the lock face so now it has a small amount of lock rock.

I don't want to post his info on an open forum. Are you a member of the USN forum?

Back