Lock stick on SpydieChef

I tried the sharpie trick and the pencil/graphite trick. I've cycled it a ton, but the lock is still sticky. I am not going to file/sand/etc. it because I don't want to risk ruining it. Is there something else I can do that is not risky to help?

I tried Tuffglide already too, completely forgot to mention it. That's a dry lube. Didn't wanna use traditional oil for fear of making it worse.

My Spydiechef has slight lock stick and I really don’t mind. Lock up is solid with no blade play. It should wear in nicely. Just use it and in time it should smooth out.

I know this is not the best advice but if all other tricks fail (and it looks like so), disassembling/reassembling the knife might work.

How new is it? My approach to lock stick with any knife is to just carry and use it until it breaks in, which sometimes takes a little while.

I know this is not the best advice but if all other tricks fail (and it looks like so), disassembling/reassembling the knife might work.

I think this one has red loctite, so I'm not inclined to mess with it. It's not that new but i don't carry it that often because of the stick. I just need to sit and play with and drive my wife crazy. :D

Mines not as bad as when it was new, but I don’t mind it one bit. I wonder if it was designed to have a little bit of stick? It’s a great knife and I don’t let the little bit of lock stick bother me.

Mine eased up with use, hardly noticeable now and not a problem.

I'd send it in before trying anything major to fix it if it is bad.

yeah cycling it while watching a movie is an easy fix, next day your thumb is gonna be in ''after leg day state''.

for tenacious stick, Iv'e seen someone just use a few gentle passes on a strop too fix clean some of the nastiest stick possible.

I would think lock stick equals more security as long as it isn’t super stuck, should b a good thing. I’ve had several Emersons that had perfect amount of stick then I’ve had Hinderers that seemed to float all over the tang! I like a little sticky! Lol

Last edited:
Just cycle it over and over again....mine was really sticky at first but after a couple of weeks of opening and closing it hundreds of times I have no stick at all. Just be patient and don't do anything silly to it. I'm currently going through this with a Nirvana I just purchased....it's part of the fun of a new knife.

Last edited:
I just received my second Spydiechef and it too has both lockstick and over travel. I sent the first back and hoped that this would would work properly. I love the knife but like it is I feel it is almost unusable as a folder. It would make a good fixed blade however. I’m very disappointed in Spydercoe as I was establishing some trust in their quality. But I should not have to play Russian ruilet, nor should I have to try to break it in by unlocking 10,000 times to get it to work properly, especially at its price point. I am contemplating wether to send it back, or not. I hear so many say they have no problem with lock stick but just as many say that they do, so it seems to me it’s just the luck of the draw.

Last edited:
I just received my second Spydiechef and it too has both lockstick and over travel. I sent the first back and hoped that this would would work properly. I love the knife but like it is I feel it is almost unusable as a folder. It would make a good fixed blade however. I’m very disappointed in Spydercoe as I was establishing some trust in their quality. But I should not have to play Russian ruilet, nor should I have to try to break it in by unlocking 10,000 times to get it to work properly, especially at its price point. I am contemplating wether to send it back, or not. I hear so many say they have no problem with lock stick but just as many say that they do, so it seems to me it’s just the luck of the draw.

If you’re not happy with the knife, send it back...so long as it’s still new and you haven’t dorked with it. No one should buy a knife only to be frustrated with it.

I’m a Spyderco fan, but have also received a knife (not a Spydiechef) that wasn’t up to the usual quality I’ve grown to expect. I should have sent it back, but instead I dorked with it...which led to a lot of unnecessary frustration. The good news is, in the end I managed to get the knife where I consider it acceptable, and I really like it! (Incidentally, I bought the same model knife as a gift for my son...his sample was absolutely perfect.)

The Spydiechef locks up later than many other knives. Mine is probably at 60%, but given the geometry of the blade tang, I’m not worried about it going any further.

It also had lock stick at first that was a bit annoying, though not hard to overcome. With use (not much in my case), it quickly diminished to a point where it was no longer bothersome. In reality, I don’t mind a tiny bit of stick, as long as it’s not hard to overcome (which is admittedly a subjective qualifier).

Good luck with you Spydiechef.

Last edited:
Clean it all off with zippo lighter fluid a few times. Get a qtip and really rub at it. Remove any lube or whatever was there before. This can help alot. Sometimes lube from the pivot drops onto the lockbar or tang and will cause lock stick. Cleaning it off a few times should remedy the issue.

Then just flick it for a day and if it doesn't go away you can try something else.

Once you modify it though, warranty will be over. So you may want to contact warranty before that.

I use electrical anti-oxidant compound. Got this tip from a Nick Shabazz video. Have used it on several knives and it works well. Clean the blade and lock bar and apply a small amount on part of the blade where the lock engages. Have not had to reapply after several months. Any brand would likely work. I use this stuff because Home Depot had it and I was there.

ideal-electrical-grease-lubricants-30-026-64_400_compressed.jpg

No lock stick is good lock stick. No knives are ever designed to have it, it's a tolerance issue. Most lubricants exacerbate the issue with any knife.

I guess I got lucky with my chef not having any stick and roughly 60% lockup. The best way would be send it in for warranty, that way its 100% fixed when getting it back. I have a pm2 that has nutty bad lock stick that I'm getting ready to send it to be fixed. It's a pain but a surefire solution.

I think this one has red loctite, so I'm not inclined to mess with it. It's not that new but i don't carry it that often because of the stick. I just need to sit and play with and drive my wife crazy. :D
The flicking can certainly drive the wife bonkers.

My Spydiechef has slight lock stick and I really don’t mind. Lock up is solid with no blade play. It should wear in nicely. Just use it and in time it should smooth out.

This ^.

A little lock stick doesn't bother me. Carry it, use it. It will break in.

I tried the sharpie trick and the pencil/graphite trick. I've cycled it a ton, but the lock is still sticky. I am not going to file/sand/etc. it because I don't want to risk ruining it. Is there something else I can do that is not risky to help?

Remove any lube from the tang and lockbar lockface. Having lube on the lockface causes the bar to go over to a higher percentage than it typically would when the knife opens. The lube allows the lockbar to slide over further than it should which causes worse lockstick.

Back