Longest lasting food, bars, or whatever that can lurk in my pack until needed?

I thought I would help out since I have some time in between school terms. This one was sort of hard to find in their history from when we talked about it.
Here is a direct quote from a survival forum, its a recipe that I tried myself and it works well.
I'm not sure if we can add links to other forums so I'll just quote this ant let you guys know that the original posters name was Pipemaker, post date was 11 Feb 09, Post name: Excellent Trail Food

"Hey guys, it's been a while since I actually contributed something "productive".
Years ago, my brother Farrier sent me a bunch of articles on some period trekking stuff we do. Buried deep in amongst the articles was a nice simple and traditional recipe for "Honey Bread".

It is very high energy and compact.
EASY to carry and store - no special requirements.
It's very tasty.
Easy to make...easy to adapt and alter as well..though I generally keep it simple

It's the kind of thing that I only eat on the trail. It tastes ok under normal circumstances, but once you get working and exerting yourself on the trail and get the old fresh air poisoning going on, this stuff is like manna from heaven.

Farrier and I always trek and camp together, and the folks we hit the trail with all tend to pack in good food. So as a community we tended to eat very well. I was always at a loss s to what I could provide...add to the group. When I started bringing Honey Bread I became the HERO...and I admit it..I LIKE being popular! Everybody LOVED it and started counting on me to provide it. It rather became a necessary staple for the trail.

Drumroll please...

2 cups of wheat flour (I'm sure white could be used just as well)
1 cup corn mean
2 cups of Honey (warmed)

Stir / mix into a batter
I always use muffin tins...filled half way
Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
Cool.
Eat.

The honey, of course, is an excellent natural preservative. I kept a few in a cotton drawstring bag. I had maybe 6 left...they had been in the bag for at least 6 years. I ate one yesterday and it was delicious. No problem!

The only "drawback" to these cakes is that after a while they get a bit tough and rubbery. Easy enough to cut off a bite and pop it in yer mouth, it starts to dissolve and you get a nice taste of Honey and cornbread in yer mouth, and it gets nice and chewy. But the flip side of this drawback is that they don't crumble.

I LOVE them! The provide TONS of energy...though I have no idea how many actual calories etc they provide... Taste amazing when yer exerting yerself. They give you something substantial to CHEW on. It actually feels like you ATE something when yer done..so you feel satisfied psychologically.

I imagine they would keep indefinately, especially if you took other precautions in storage. Honestly, all I've ever done is make a batch..take 'em to an event or a trek. If there any left over I just leave 'em in the sack and pack away my gear until the next time. Talk about low maintenance.

Here's a couple..with my average sized frenchman's hand for size comparison. You can see the cotton (linen?) bag I use to carry 'em and a hardtack biscuits (also good for nibbling on..last quite a while..though nothing compared to the honeybread)

I sent one of those cakes to Aboman...let's see if he's man enough to gobble it up!! ":thumbup:
feb11honeycake.JPG

I finally made these. WOW these are good!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nicely done sir! Thanks for the recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh man am I sick of Clif bars. They were the only thing that I thought I could viably pack in my hunting vest for snacks for years. I can barely eat them anymore.
That said, I'm a fan of (what used to be) Hooah bars. They seemed to taste better than Clifs and gave you a more steady energy release. I think they're called Soldier Fuel bars now.
For storage in a pack, Datrex bars and New Millenium bars are what I'd use. Hardtack isn't a bad (fairly low nutrition) choice either, just make sure you punch the holes in them before baking! You could break a tooth on 'em if the holes aren't there. Hardtack is better if you soak it in coffee before eating as well.

"Honey Bread".

1 cup corn mean
2 cups of Honey (warmed)

Stir / mix into a batter
Cool.
Eat.

I made a batch of these last night and they turned out great! In fact, when I got home from work I discovered that my wife had eaten quite a few of them today, she likes them.

I have such a wide selection of honey from all around the country that I had a hard time deciding which honey to use. In the end I decided to clear space on my kitchen counter and finish off several bottles that were only partially full, so I used a mix that was about 60% local orange, 25% local wildflower, 15% cotton, and just a touch of pomegranate. It turned out really well.

lambertiana,
You are a honey connissuer :) My grandfather raised bees and I helped rob them. He decided the best period to rob them based on what they had been feeding on.

I like to make these and keep on hand for snacks, I drizzle molasses on top, add cinnamon, sometimes put dried fruit in the middle.

Bill

My buddy ''Crazy Ed'' and I were blind drunk one night and tossed a complete, crawling with bees, wooden hive in the back of his truck. We were coming back from fishing, would stop to release the Kracken now and then and kick the hell out of the hive then fly back into the truck. When flew down the highway and kept repeating this process hoping that most of the bees would blow out. Beside the 2-3 stings each the truck bed was crawling with bees when we got into town. Ed processed the Clover honey which was a darkish colour and fantastic ! We got a few med.\large ice cream pails of it. I wouldn't do that now but back in the day I was far less P.C......B.T.W., for a light weight, high energy emergency compact meal that will last a long time, I go with at least a couple of tins of sardines.

I thought I would help out since I have some time in between school terms. This one was sort of hard to find in their history from when we talked about it.
Here is a direct quote from a survival forum, its a recipe that I tried myself and it works well.
I'm not sure if we can add links to other forums so I'll just quote this ant let you guys know that the original posters name was Pipemaker, post date was 11 Feb 09, Post name: Excellent Trail Food

"Hey guys, it's been a while since I actually contributed something "productive".
Years ago, my brother Farrier sent me a bunch of articles on some period trekking stuff we do. Buried deep in amongst the articles was a nice simple and traditional recipe for "Honey Bread".

It is very high energy and compact.
EASY to carry and store - no special requirements.
It's very tasty.
Easy to make...easy to adapt and alter as well..though I generally keep it simple

It's the kind of thing that I only eat on the trail. It tastes ok under normal circumstances, but once you get working and exerting yourself on the trail and get the old fresh air poisoning going on, this stuff is like manna from heaven.

Farrier and I always trek and camp together, and the folks we hit the trail with all tend to pack in good food. So as a community we tended to eat very well. I was always at a loss s to what I could provide...add to the group. When I started bringing Honey Bread I became the HERO...and I admit it..I LIKE being popular! Everybody LOVED it and started counting on me to provide it. It rather became a necessary staple for the trail.

Drumroll please...

1 cup corn mean2 cups of Honey (warmed)

Stir / mix into a batter
Cool.
Eat.

The honey, of course, is an excellent natural preservative. I kept a few in a cotton drawstring bag. I had maybe 6 left...they had been in the bag for at least 6 years. I ate one yesterday and it was delicious. No problem!

The only "drawback" to these cakes is that after a while they get a bit tough and rubbery. Easy enough to cut off a bite and pop it in yer mouth, it starts to dissolve and you get a nice taste of Honey and cornbread in yer mouth, and it gets nice and chewy. But the flip side of this drawback is that they don't crumble.

I LOVE them! The provide TONS of energy...though I have no idea how many actual calories etc they provide... Taste amazing when yer exerting yerself. They give you something substantial to CHEW on. It actually feels like you ATE something when yer done..so you feel satisfied psychologically.

I imagine they would keep indefinately, especially if you took other precautions in storage. Honestly, all I've ever done is make a batch..take 'em to an event or a trek. If there any left over I just leave 'em in the sack and pack away my gear until the next time. Talk about low maintenance.

Here's a couple..with my average sized frenchman's hand for size comparison. You can see the cotton (linen?) bag I use to carry 'em and a hardtack biscuits (also good for nibbling on..last quite a while..though nothing compared to the honeybread)

I sent one of those cakes to Aboman...let's see if he's man enough to gobble it up!! ":thumbup:
feb11honeycake.JPG

A little help here guys, my english is failling me, what does this mean "1 cup corn mean" could you post a link to the produkt or explain it to me please ?

Oops read a little more and I'm going to assume its a sort of coars corn(As in popcorn)flour. Right ?

Last edited:
A little help here guys, my english is failling me, what does this mean "1 cup corn mean" could you post a link to the produkt or explain it to me please ?

Oops read a little more and I'm going to assume its a sort of coars corn(As in popcorn)flour. Right ?

Corn meal/Corn flower, basically. Used to make yummy corn bread. We've all assumed that 'Mean' was a typo, since corn meal works.

Mine i've made are awesome. They tend to get a little dry but lasted when other breads mold.

Last edited:
Mine i've made are awesome. They tend to get a little dry but lasted when other breads mold.

It's all that honey. It lasts for centuries, and it goes a long way to making other stuff last with it.

What makes food rot is moisture and oxygen, which allows for bacteria to grow & breed.

You can store simple grains, pasta, freeze-dried foods in mylar bags with oxygen absorbers packs thrown it. These chemically remove the oxygen molecules from the bag which will really slow down the rotting process of foods. Some grains and foods can last for 10-20-30 years when sealed in mylar with oxy absorbers. When using the right amount, the oxy absorbers will absorb all the oxygen in the package until the bag looks like it was vacuumed.

THis only works with dried foods, not foods that have any perceptible level of moisture in them. For these, you can either choose freeze dried, or canning. When done right, canned beef, pork, chicken, etc. doesn't have an expiration date and can sit (in cool dry place) for dozens of years. Discovered canned foods from over 100 years ago were found to contain still-edible meat inside.

You can buy mylar bags and oxy absorbers on the internet, and you can websurf "preppers" sites for info on how to store.
I don't understand howw oxygen absorbers would make the package look vacuumed. Air is 20% oxygen, 80% nitrogen.

Dehydrated peas have been my lightweight, long storage food. I eat them dry.

I don't understand howw oxygen absorbers would make the package look vacuumed. Air is 20% oxygen, 80% nitrogen.

Dehydrated peas have been my lightweight, long storage food. I eat them dry.

As I constantly remind my family, you want to squeeze most of the air out of the bag before sealing it. :)

With little air left, the removal of oxygen would be enough to make it look vacuum sealed.

I like vienna sausages with little bit of hot sauce, kids will eat it and not look at you as though you are giving them dogfood. Rice is good too

Just a little thread bump, wanted to say that I found my bag of those corn & honey hardtack muffins, after nearly three months. The flavor and texture is the same as it was the day after I made them, and they show no signs of spoiling yet. Not the best meal, but these clearly make some great long term storage food.

- Tallahassee Zombieland

I don't know about how long they last but I pack Clif Bars and Luna Bars. Yeah, Yeah. I know. The Luna bars are market toward women. It's not like they make you grow boobs or anything and they are darned tasty.

[Checks to make sure he's not growing boobs.]

Well, you would have to eat a lot of luna bars, but soy does promote estrogen production, Though in a survival situation I would not turn one down. :p

Any of you guys ever notice bugs or worms inside your sealed bars? I have opened ones that were a year old from a hunting coat and they had been essentially eaten from the inside with no packaging leaks?

The same happens with chocolate bars that are older.

Yessir, I used to keep granola bars in my car, but my girlfriend at the time ate half of one before realizing it was filled with bugs D: She was not pleased.

What about fruitcake? Seems to last forever. Not my favorite but perhaps a possibility.

Back