Looking back on it all.

I scanned the original post, but didn't read it too closely. The OP has been on the same soapbox for as long as I have been on the forum. Different post, same views regurgitated for the umpteenth time.

I scanned the original post, but didn't read it too closely. The OP has been on the same soapbox for as long as I have been on the forum. Different post, same views regurgitated for the umpteenth time.
Same soapbox....? Sort of. My read over the years is that he likes simple tools. The size of the knives have changed and evolved with age. Now, he is using a small fixed blade which I think was a wise choice for some one with arthritis in their hands. As he said, it's the original one hand opener.

You can criticize if you like, but he has been consistent over the years. Most people I suspect don't go back to read old J jackknife tales. He has seen a lot over the years and much more than me. So, I enjoy the reading the threads.

There is nothing wrong with choosing different paths, different knives or types of knives and use. I like the variety of knives that are available today. I like the wide variety of handmade knives in both folding and fixed bladed configurations. Generally I get the fixed blades but not so much the folders as I like the factory offerings.

So, different views are a good thing. Many have not participated in the forum for as many years as Jackknife. My visits here started after I got a faster internet connection as I became frustrated with slow dial up internet speeds.

J jackknife
One thing that's not helping the knife industry IMHO is the out-the-front automatic knives. These are out-and-out weapons not tools.

OTF knives are the exact opposite of a knife that would be described as a "weapon".

They are primarily toys for people who appreciate technology and knives. Many are rarely used or carried.

Most are $400 plus and would likely be the last thing anyone would choose as a weapon for a variety of reasons.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    124 bytes · Views: 2
What might those be? ;)

Really? The opinion* that carrying a fixed blade is better than carrying a folder, because some very, very old person personally knows a few knuckleheads who hurt themselves using poor technique (heh, sucks for them). Then it was followed up by a bunch more "GET OFF MAH LAWWWWWNNNN" retirement home suspender-wearing corncob pipe smoking rhetoric about how expensive folding knives make zero sense, and locking mechanisms are worthless. A few more pages with some more eye-rolling comments have followed, though it was definitely entertaining to be sure.

Some folks have the lifestyle to be able to carry a belt-knife. Good for them. Plenty of others don't, therefore objectively disproving the claim about fixed blades being "the best". And at the end of the day, if you're using a knife to do what a knife is made to do (which is "cut things" for those who need the reminder), then having a fixed blade or folding knife really makes no difference. I know, I know, this is crazy, but stay with me. Did you know you could cut a sandwich, nip a shirt thread, open an envelope, cut some rope, or whittle some wood just as well with, say, a Spyderco Endura, as you can with a Buck 119 or 102? I KNOW!!! INSANE, right?? So crazy. We're definitely not in Kansas anymore, amirite?

If you are incapable of understanding the limitations of the tool you're carrying, then sure, carry a fixed blade (and maybe wear a helmet). However, if you don't suffer from that particular affliction, then you're good carrying a folding knife.

At the end of the day, folks are free to carry what they want. But making sweeping opinions-stated-as-facts about what they personally prefer, and why it's somehow better than what others prefer is...well, it's dumb, to be perfectly candid.

* Because it sure isn't a fact.

I missed the * in your text which i did read whith quite some pleasure ( I did spot it !). Are there facts in knife owning ? Not many. At all. Are there facts in using knives ? Sure. But it all boils down to a personal choice thingy. I love small fixed pocketable knives. It's the bestest ever knife solution, in my opinion. No way I would recommend them to non-knife people, however. Or to die hard folder lovers...

Last edited:
I am 66, been through a few things over the years but I have to admit the anti progress comments get very old. I like my one handed folders with locks, super steels and bearings and guess what i have never cut myself due to a folder fail. Knowledge in use is important in all tasks. I made a living using film in manual focus cameras, don't miss it all, love my new Sony digital cameras. Finally if we are to hold to the thoughts that everything from the past was better why are we commenting with a computer on the internet, you could get shocked with a short.

To the OP, I could say : look on the bright side. In our young days we could only buy what was available at the local store. Today, I can buy from the whole world. Really. And this is an absolute excitement for a knife nut.

So what is the general consensus that a folding knife should be used for? Nothing more than cutting twine and cutting tape off of packages?
There is no consensus at all. It's your knife, use it as you want. If you do stoopid, pay the price. If you're vewy smart, you may get away with no injury. But there is no warranty...

"Stay sharp" is all I can say here... To be positive. Hair grows out of my face daily... I have no saying on colour or size. I just look at it and stay amazed. I could call it "funny". When I am in "funny" mode.

Same soapbox....? Sort of. My read over the years is that he likes simple tools. The size of the knives have changed and evolved with age. Now, he is using a small fixed blade which I think was a wise choice for some one with arthritis in their hands. As he said, it's the original one hand opener.

You can criticize if you like, but he has been consistent over the years. Most people I suspect don't go back to read old J jackknife tales. He has seen a lot over the years and much more than me. So, I enjoy the reading the threads.

There is nothing wrong with choosing different paths, different knives or types of knives and use. I like the variety of knives that are available today. I like the wide variety of handmade knives in both folding and fixed bladed configurations. Generally I get the fixed blades but not so much the folders as I like the factory offerings.

So, different views are a good thing. Many have not participated in the forum for as many years as Jackknife. My visits here started after I got a faster internet connection as I became frustrated with slow dial up internet speeds.
I stand corrected. You are right.

Really? The opinion* that carrying a fixed blade is better than carrying a folder, because some very, very old person personally knows a few knuckleheads who hurt themselves using poor technique (heh, sucks for them). Then it was followed up by a bunch more "GET OFF MAH LAWWWWWNNNN" retirement home suspender-wearing corncob pipe smoking rhetoric about how expensive folding knives make zero sense, and locking mechanisms are worthless. A few more pages with some more eye-rolling comments have followed, though it was definitely entertaining to be sure.

Some folks have the lifestyle to be able to carry a belt-knife. Good for them. Plenty of others don't, therefore objectively disproving the claim about fixed blades being "the best". And at the end of the day, if you're using a knife to do what a knife is made to do (which is "cut things" for those who need the reminder), then having a fixed blade or folding knife really makes no difference. I know, I know, this is crazy, but stay with me. Did you know you could cut a sandwich, nip a shirt thread, open an envelope, cut some rope, or whittle some wood just as well with, say, a Spyderco Endura, as you can with a Buck 119 or 102? I KNOW!!! INSANE, right?? So crazy. We're definitely not in Kansas anymore, amirite?

If you are incapable of understanding the limitations of the tool you're carrying, then sure, carry a fixed blade (and maybe wear a helmet). However, if you don't suffer from that particular affliction, then you're good carrying a folding knife.

At the end of the day, folks are free to carry what they want. But making sweeping opinions-stated-as-facts about what they personally prefer, and why it's somehow better than what others prefer is...well, it's dumb, to be perfectly candid.

* Because it sure isn't a fact.
I fully support this message. ;)

I like choices. I was fairly closed minded to carrying a fixed blade day to day, Tried it but not whole heartedly like I was supposed to have some light come on and say "This is the correct path!" It doesn't work that way. I got a little Condor fixed blade at the end of October and decided to try to carry it. It's small. Started carrying it and after a week or two, "the light came on!" :D But I may switch back to two folders.

In the past, I would carry a fixed blade and that includes in the woods and when I needed to cut something, I always grabbed the folder. So what changed? I decided to carry a smaller folder. :rolleyes: Now I reach for the fixed blade which is in essence the size of a small folder but no "flex" at a pivot.

10 years ago, I would have said.... no way on the fixed blade as I felt out of place. Now it seems really natural and its' small fitting tight to the body. I may change again as that's just the way of the hobby. But for now it works for me.

I love fixed blade knives, but I just didn't have much use for one.

Why not stick a piece of flint wrapped in leather in your pocket? It was good enough for your grandpappy’s, grandpappy’s, grandpappy’s...grandpappy.

Sticking with tradition for traditions sake just doesn’t make any sense to me. I believe it’s for people who are nostalgic for a time that never truly existed. Nostalgia is an exaggeration of a memory that gets more exaggerated the more you access that memory. It’s why the fish gets bigger. Not for me.

Plus, it’s weird someone telling me what they’re grandpa’s buddies used to do. I have my own experience to tell me. I’ve used them all. That’s why I choose modern folders. You’re grandpa sounds like a great guy. We just disagree on knives. However, a case could be made that he wouldn’t have made the same choice as I have if he were raised during my time.

I’ll get off your lawn now.

Last edited:
My Manly Wasp in S90v to me, is what I'd joking call a "tactical slipjoint". :D:cool::thumbsup:

It's just very solidly, well built, with a modern, powdered stainless with an amazing grind and thickness behind the edge.

Incredible price, for what you're getting, too.

It's old meets new and combines the best of both worlds.

It's a worthy EDC anywhere in the world... It just HAPPENS to be darn near world legal and is one that I take to Europe and other places with non-locking requirements.

Super strong backspring with 4 detents, I feel much more comfortable with the Wasp IWB than I would a Bugout with an axis lock.

And I guess in this overly long winded post, that brings me to my point. The modern do-it-all lock blade that can deanimate enemy sentries or pry open a Russian tank hatch. Why?

Marketing.
That is all.

The knives today are great...the marketing can be silly.

My grandfather was part of the Raid on Dieppe, went through the POW camps and the Death March.
He quite liked one of my "modern" folders. Think it was the Benchmade Resistor (I may be wrong about the exact model).

He recognized it as a solid, well designed knife that would make a good tool.
The one hand opening, solid lock and pocket clip seemed like good ideas.

He wouldn't have bought into any silly marketing surrounding it though, and would have had a good laugh at any fantasies regarding Russian tank hatches or enemy sentries.

The knife itself though, he approved of. :thumbsup:

Back