1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 24 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Benchmade 535 Bugout, along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Recommendation? Looking for a camping/food prep fixed blade

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Kabanstva, Mar 6, 2018.

1. BladeScout

BladeScout Basic Member Basic Member

May 16, 2010
    Excellent suggestion.

And exactly what Ive been thinking about doing for a while, as I couldnt seem to get my mitts on a used BK17 and as Ive seen some good examples of the BK16 with dropped spine/clip mods.

Actually the 16 wouldnt bee too shabby for the OP to use as a food prep knife.

NJBillK likes this.
  2. ShannonSteelLabs

ShannonSteelLabs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 9, 2015
    Not sure what blade size you need but i can do a custon in the 200-300$ price range.
    My apex hunter would work great with a 3.5 inch blade.
    Heres 2 examples, if those dont fit your taste we could come up with a custom design.
    Pic: apex hunter 3.1 inch blade (Z-Finit)
    Screenshot_20180215-091645.png
    If you want something bigger you could order my Camp Kaiju model. 5.25 inch handle, 7.5 inch blade .
    Pic Camp Kaiju (3/16 CPM 3V)
    IMG_20171124_075609.jpg

I can use whatever steel you like.
    I currently have these in stock:
    Stainless
    -zfinit
    -vanax
    -Nitro-V
    High carbon
    -CPM 3V
    -Z-Wear
    -Z-Tuff
    Best of luck!!

Dantone05 and T.L.E. Sharp like this.
  3. USMCPOP

USMCPOP

Jan 6, 2016
    I just got a couple Friedrich Dick knives to try out. 5" Lamb skinner and 4" fish knife. The 4" poultry/rabbit knife is enroute.

Also 5", 6" and 7" straight, wide, stiff boning knives in carbon and stainless from Dexter and Victorinox.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

jc57 likes this.
  4. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I'll 2nd a Mora for food prep. I like to keep my primary camp knife separate from my food prep knife (unless something happens..)

Mora are light, inexpensive, and take a great edge.

EDIT - I shall refrain from making a Dick Ergogrip joke.

buckfynn and dirc like this.
  5. BladeScout

May 16, 2010
    Best movie star name for a person in a certain niche of the movie industry ever!!:D

ShannonSteelLabs likes this.
  6. Deinos

Deinos Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Spyderco Mule in LC200N?

7. BladeScout

May 16, 2010
  8. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    Yet another vote for mora
    [​IMG]

buckfynn and dirc like this.
  9. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    Well...Nessmuk, who kinda knew what he was doing in the woods....used...well, a Nessmuk for food prep as well as for eating.

10. Maineiac1

Maineiac1

May 3, 2017
    Nelmuk (nessmuk) spine of the knife can be used as a spoon and is a great all around blade, really big for hunters..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Seesteel likes this.
  11. numbersman

numbersman

Nov 28, 2010
    I don't really like the Mora Companion for food prep. Its a little thick, not a great slicer. I often use it in that role, but I don't have anything better. That plastic sheath is so handy for a camp knife....It works OK, and I am taking mine camping this weekend, but a better slicer would be nice. I always fancied the Spyderco Lil'Temperance as a food prep knife, but it seems a little pricey.
    Edit: the Lil' Temperance is a small folder, not sure what knife I was thinking of. The original Temperance?

12. kancler

kancler Moderator Moderator

Mar 21, 2005
    Take a look at one of the Splinters by TRC.

[​IMG]

13. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Condor Garuda is a good one.

14. USMCPOP

USMCPOP

Jan 6, 2016
    That entirely escaped me until you pointed it out. Myriad jokes are racing around my brain. My name is Richard but only my nickname is short. I just gave one of the F. Dick lamb skinners to my son. He was amused.

The lamb skinner is Nessmuk-ish. The blade is fairly stout. So is the Victorinox stiff boning knife. :) All of these seem useful in a camp situation. The 5 inch Dexter #1375 carbon knife with the Beechwood handle seems handy. Fits right into the rather nice Mora-type sheath that came with one of those $1.67 BUDK Mora-like objects.

[​IMG]

15. ATJ999

ATJ999 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Gollik knives. Have him make you an Elmax knife. Great guy, and knives are priced really well. They are very tough and stain resistant, also easy to sharpen and hold a great edge. Perfect for outdoors! Worth a look for sure.

ShannonSteelLabs likes this.
  16. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Now that russeR would he a great choice.

Seriously for a camp kitchen knife, an actual kitchen knife would really he the best.
    I understand a knife nut wanting some outdoors knife that happens to be okay for kitchen duty , but if that's all you'll use it for then something made for the kitchen would he the best choice.

Dogpiss likes this.
  17. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    TOPS Pasayten in 154cm. John

Seesteel and buckfynn like this.
  18. 19-3ben

19-3ben Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Yup!!! A stainless Mora Companion is, for me, the ideal camp/food prep knife. It barely weighs a thing, it easy to sharpen, easy to clean, and you can't go wrong with a 4" blade in a nice general purpose shape

buckfynn likes this.
  19. Pilsner

Pilsner Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Yes, a fine design indeed. I gather that US troops who train with the Canadians affectionately know these as ‘steak knives’. I’ve got a #3, like the one pictured, and an original #1 on its way across the Atlantic. Two months for shipping from Grohmann to the UK, I **** you not. o_O

20. Hateman

Hateman Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2000
    All below I've used in the kitchen or on hikes; excellent food prep blades in my opinion.

-Buck small Selkirk fixed blade
    -Cold Steel Canadian Belt Knife
    -Victorinox Picnic

buckfynn likes this.