1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Looking for a cheap, EDC Kershaw to get.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Jk_4100, Jan 30, 2011.

1. oldschool45

oldschool45

Oct 15, 2007
    Jk_4100, the groves on the Zing actually help cutting through thicker material like heavy cardboard and rubber hoses. The sides of the blade offer up less resistance to the material it is going through. RJ Martin weighed in here on the subject a few years back. I re-handled mine with cocobolo scales and used a buffer to polish up the blade. If I don't fire the blade out with the flipper its gets good ooohs and aaahs from the sheeple. It can be a good looking gentleman's knife in fact its my "dress" knife. They also make a Damascus version but personally I think it is ugly as sin.
    On the 14c26n steel if you get the edge geometry right (no burs or rolled edges) it will cut Cat5e data cable all day and still shave. The 14c26n is a Kershaw special steel they(Kershaw) contracted Sandvik. Thomas or one of the mafia will straighten this claim out. Its about as hard/tough as you can get and still easily mass-produce blades out of it and it is apparently more stainless than the 13c variant.

2. bluebanshee

bluebanshee

Jan 18, 2011
    What about the Scallion? I've had one for about 5-6 years and really like it. Its no super steel but it sharpens very nice and quick. I have the 1620H3 all black. It is a smaller knife but fits the hand well. Majority of them are within your budget.

The orange zing would be nice!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  3. J.Mattson

J.Mattson

Sep 10, 2007
    Of the choices you listed I think that the Skyline is the clear winner, I’ve got 3 and wouldn’t think twice before buying a 4th.

4. presz

presz

Nov 12, 2005
    1745- Ener-G $30 Blems from the kershawguy.

5. Nikkogi

Nikkogi Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 19, 2009
    I would say the Kershaw Scamp. Check it out man, you wont regret it.

6. gundude73

gundude73

Oct 6, 2009
    maybe the OD1?

[​IMG]

7. Flashpoint

Flashpoint

Apr 3, 2004

I would love to see some pick of that one.

8. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    I love the skyline, as well.

Just to tthrow out an option I don't hear about much: the Kershaw Blitz(also called the Nerve) It might be a little larger than you're looking for, but it's not as heavy as it looks. Around $25

9. mlanghornes

mlanghornes Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 24, 2009
    I gotta throw my vote to the skyline as well. It's light, thin, easy to carry, opens quickly with the flipper, is comfortable to use, the blade holds an edge very well, its corrosion-resistant, the blade shape is useful and attractive, the grind is nice and thin, and its made in the USA. And its $30-40. And its available everywhere. And there's a damascus version. I'm having a really hard time finding another knife that hits all these basis, at any price.

Buy one, you won't regret it.

10. EricV

EricV

Nov 19, 2008
    :thumbup: My blur with 14c26n has helped re-end a number patch cables since I'e had it to no ill effect. Its a great steel, very under rated by guys who don't have time behind a knife with it.

If you can go for a Kershaw with the 14c steel, you won't be disappointed!

11. N4SIR

N4SIR Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 22, 2008
    KERSHAW SKYLINE!!!!! you will not find a better cheap EDC ANYWHERE!!!

very thin super sharp very light and durable $35 even at walmart

[​IMG]

12. Blueskat

Blueskat

Feb 5, 2008
    Kershaw Ener-G (large and smaller model available)

Kershaw Skyline, and the Zing. All 3 winners.

13. A.P.F.

A.P.F.

Mar 3, 2006
    The grooves actually make cutting easier, as they reduce the contact area of the blade and hence the friction. Strange, but true.

14. malicious

malicious

Sep 9, 2010
    another vote for skyline

15. ryanh121

ryanh121

Nov 3, 2009
    I handled a bunch of the Kershaws listed here at a local brick and mortar. I know it's not on your original list, but I walked out with composite bladed leek. I'm not normally a fan of smooth metal handled knives, but this one works fine as a light duty EDC. Plus, you will not find a better price on CPM-D2 steel. I absolutely LOVE that stuff.

16. softrockrenegade

softrockrenegade

May 27, 2009
    Skyline

17. 6thtexas

6thtexas

Dec 13, 2009
    I got a red Skyline from kershawguy on the forum. Absolutely the best $25 I ever spent on a knife.

18. ooT

ooT

Jan 30, 2011
    On Ebay, theres a bunch of Kershaw Leeks for around the $30 mark. The knife is a little delicate, but perfectly fine for EDC use.

19. cziv

cziv

Nov 24, 2005
    Which of these Kershaws has the longest blade length in a flipper or assist folder? I was thinking the JYD2 but it's awfully large in "all" areas. How about a long blade 3 3/4 to 4" in a slimmer knife? :)

20. N4SIR

N4SIR Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 22, 2008
    skyline again nice meaty blade good length also 3.21 in