1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Looking for a cheap, EDC Kershaw to get.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Jk_4100, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Brocket21

Brocket21 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2010
    I have both the Zing and the Skyline.

Zing is a bit more of a solid feeling heavier knife but I find that the blade thickness is too much when slicing food. I would think this would be a knife better for heavier duty tasks and it's opening and locking feels much more solid than the featherweight Skyline.

The Skyline is much lighter and is a much thinner blade profile. Better for an all around EDC in my opinion because of the thinner blade's slicing ability. I carry the Skyline much more often.

2. Lover of Blades

Lover of Blades

Nov 9, 2010
    Dude, check out the RAT-1. Its an amazing folder. Durable, and Randall-designed, so you know its good. Also, you can find it for $25 on Chestnut Ridge.

3. Jk_4100

Jk_4100

Jan 28, 2011
    Alright guys, thanks for all the info. I'm gonna pick up a Zing from my local knife place. Prolly a Vantage pro later too.

4. thegeek574

thegeek574

Sep 3, 2010
    I love my junkyard dog II. it is a bit thick, but it cuts forever. if you just can't stomach it, then go with a blur.

5. thallium

thallium

Jan 25, 2011
    I can't speak about the others but I have a Chill and it is a great little EDC.

It is cheap enough (can be found for $16-20) that you don't have to worry about abusing it. It is very thin, less than 3/8" not including the clip. It is light. Has a great flipper and grippy G10 grips. It also came quite sharp and I've not had to sharpen it yet although I've run it over a steel a couple times..

The downside is that it is not super sturdy and the steel seemed to rust easily. It rusted after just a day or two in my back pocket. I was surprised but worked the rust spots off with a little baking soda and water then oiled it and the rust has not reappeared.

You get what you pay for but in this case you get a lot for a little.

6. cziv

cziv

Nov 24, 2005
    Heck no! I love JYD 2's and don't like blurs. I was just wondering what the longest blade length of folder is made by Kershaw.

They're always hovering at about 3" - 3.5" max. My ZT 0301 said 3 3/4" but they must measure to the back of the tang because it measures 3.5 of blade about 10 times that I put a ruler on it.

7. vba

vba

Jan 12, 2009
    I vote the one clipped to my pocket now, OD-1. It is truly a great edc folder.

Vin

edit: Oh, I see Gundude beat me to the punch on the OD-1. I own the Skyline and OD-1 and love the latter.

8. gomipile

gomipile

Apr 17, 2010
    The Skyline and Zing are both great. Anything Kershaw in 14C28N that you like the looks of is to be recommended, really.

9. knivesandguns

knivesandguns

Mar 6, 2008
    Good choice, let us know how you like it! :thumbup:

10. oldschool45

oldschool45

Oct 15, 2007
    Flashpoint here you go. not the best picture but it the only one I can find.

Attached Files: