Looking for a (legal) knife recommendation

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by KalkiKrosah, May 22, 2019.

1. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    Manly Wasp.

Lee D and Sergeua like this.
  2. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I'm kind of taken with the Benchmade Mini Presidio II which is in the size are you're looking. Obviously it has an axis lock and a small thumb stud, but it does not fall open wrist flicking for me. I suppose you could lighten up the pivot to make it flick. I have no interest in that for this knife as I have other flipping knives. We has a new simple modern ($$). Obviously there are a lot of Spydies in the Native size class that might work.

The Boker Urban Trapper is a nice knife (3.5")... not flickable, but easy to open.

3. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Get a spyderco Delica. If you are still worried, get a Dragonfly instead.

Lee D likes this.
  4. Reitwagen

Reitwagen

Mar 2, 2009
    If they can hold the knife by the blade and flick the handle, you're busted. I can make almost any locking knife meet the NYC criteria for a gravity knife. Carrying any locking knife in NYC is taking a chance of being arrested.

DB_Cruiser likes this.
  5. DB_Cruiser

DB_Cruiser Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 17, 2018
    ^ +1

6. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    not going to pretend I know anything about the knife laws in NY state or city ...

but if you are looking for knives that don't leave it so open for interpretation ... I like Alox SAKs the Farmer my favorite ... I have a few slip joints various models/brands ... Lionsteel is one I like alot great steel really nice knives ...

multitools I prefer the Leatherman Wave or Charge but are so many to choose from to handle your needs.

And a knife I like alot I don't see many bring up .... the Spyderco Native 5 ... I have a G10 model but really like the knife ...

7. KalkiKrosah

KalkiKrosah

May 2, 2018
    I took a look at the TRM line. I kinda like the modern slipjoint look they have going on with the Atlas, and having a finger choil is always good in my book. It allows easier choking up on the blade as well as eliminated that awkward dilemma where you can't reach the back end of the blade to sharpen it. Most are sold out so I put it on my wish list and am going to see about emailing the company if I can get home at a reasonable time from work today.

Opinel I really should own one. I think they are ugly but at $15 a knife it's definitely something I can overlook aesthetically. The svord peasant looks great but I worry about it opening up in my pocket. I will pass on that one for now. The mora Eldris is a fixed blade that keeps popping up on my radar. Not a bad knife but still not looking for a fixed blade. And the aitor castor appears to be discontinued. I can't seem to find any in stock.

I do appreciate this comment. The TRM Atlas is the closest thing to what I am looking for right now.

8. KalkiKrosah

KalkiKrosah

May 2, 2018
    The knives I carry with me are the CIVIVI Praxis, the Benchmade mini-griptilian 556-1 and the Benchmade Osbourbe 940-1. I love a good axis lock and personally find it to be the best lock simply because you don't need to place your fingers in the blade path to close it. And its satisfying to flick open and closed. But the law can use it against me, so with the exception of the Benchmade proper I had to eliminate almost everything Benchmade offers because the axis lock is on it. Hopefully the gravity knife ban can be revised in my lifetime but for the time being I am going to skip over buying any new axis lock Benchmades.

9. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    SAK of your choice.
    Tinker/Super Tinker, Farmer, Recruit, Cadet, and Huntsman are all a good choice with a blade under 3 inches.
    Trust me. The tools will come in handy.
    I carry a Huntsman. My most used tools are the can opener, awl, scissors, toothpick, and saw.
    I use the spear point main and pen secondary blades about equally when I need to cut or slice something.

Lee D likes this.
  10. DB_Cruiser

DB_Cruiser Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 17, 2018
    The only thing about the Atlas is that it is VERY small. I mean surprisingly small. In my case, I was pleasantly surprised. Others may not find this to be their cup of tea. I must admit that I really did think it was larger than it is. Mine was a little stiff when I got it. After about a month of carrying it and using it, it's a very smooth action and uniquely suited for NYC carry. I highly recommend it if you like a small knife. The Manly Wasp is a bit larger and would be my second recommendation. The S90V model is pretty affordable if you like higher end steel.

11. Critter

Critter Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 23, 2003
    I was pointed to this thread. Lots of misinformation here. So, first off, you can find the current rules for NYC and some info on NY State here: https://kniferights.org/legislative-update/new-york-city-administrative-code-knives/ It doesn't mater if you or anyone you know cannot flick open a lock blade folding knife in NYC, I guarantee some cops will be able to unless you crank down on the pivot so it makes it extremely difficult to open even with TWO hands. And, yes, we have demonstrated opening Leatherman Tool blades in Federal Court, so no safety there. There is no state-mandated length limit.

Having said all that, there is a bill currently expected to be transmitted to the Governor this week https://kniferights.org/legislative...s-in-ny-again-working-to-stop-arrests-in-nyc/ that would repeal the gravity knife ban and theoretically end the issue with lockblade knives in NYC, if he signs it. He has twice vetoed similar bills. We'll announce transmittal and let folks know how to contact the governor when that happens. Our long running federal civil rights lawsuit is also on petition to the U.S. Supreme Court: https://kniferights.org/legislative-update/scotus-directs-nyc-da-to-respond/ We should know were we stand on this within the next couple weeks.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    jpm2 likes this.
  12. Jcsixx01

Jcsixx01 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2018
    I just posted this knife in the pry bar thread, but it works here too.

The Spyderco Battlestation, imo, is an extremely funky but versatile knife. The blade is just under 3 inches w/ a full-sized handle that is comfortable in multiple grips. The straight portion of the blade is katana sharp and easy to keep that way (VG-10). The blade tip is like a rhino horn, thick & strong, making it an excellent legal carry self-defense folder when combined w/ the aforementioned grip/blade qualities. The tip is strong enough to pry w/o worrying about snapping. The modified Tanto also works well as an ice scraper in a pinch. Useful blade if you can get past the aesthetics.

13. xraso

xraso

Feb 11, 2014
    Lee D likes this.
  14. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Slip joints are certainly the safest choice. If I lived in NYC or worked there, I would carry a SAK. Simple.

Lee D likes this.
  15. Bob6794

Bob6794

Apr 21, 2013
    Modern slip joint wod be the best bet.

I have 2 Buck 110s and I can with a great amount of effort deploy them by flicking them while holding the handle. A slip joint will be for all intents and purposes impossible to do that.

16. Sergeua

Sergeua Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2016
    I second Manly wasp, its is an awesome sturdy little knife. It does not lock but it can take more spine tapping than some ZTs.

willard0341 likes this.
  17. It’s pretty easy to open every one of my Spyderco backlocks by holding the blade at the hole and giving a little flick downward, which people have had issues with in NYC.

18. Lee D

Lee D

May 27, 2013
    Lots of really good suggestions. I’d take a look at some of Fallkniven’s folders as well.

19. Steve6387

Steve6387

Jul 1, 2013
    A couple of years ago, I found out my city in the people's republic of Massachusetts has a rediculous 2.5 in limit. I started carrying a sak Spartan... An that little knife gets more use than any oF my larger folders ever did.

20. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    If you choose to go the safest route (slipjoint) there are many options, both traditional and modern. If you opt for a modern , look at the Spyderco Urban, UKPK, or Pingo (multiple steel choices for each model), or the Manly Wasp (two steel choices). For traditional, your post about the corroded knife makes me think you want stainless. From the simple SAK to the Lionsteel options offered by Mike at Collectorknives, there is a wide variety.