looking for a pack, need suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
looking for a 40-60L-ish pack with internal frame and molle webbing.

looking forward to dpx pack, but curious what else is similar to what i want.
only pack that seems to be close is the kelty military 4000 & 2500.

Wish I could magically get my soft gear DPx line out of my imagination and under the tree for Xmas. It will take a bit. :) IN the meantime I look forward to your ideas, requirements, likes, dislikes and ideas.

Wish I could magically get my soft gear DPx line out of my imagination and under the tree for Xmas. It will take a bit. :) IN the meantime I look forward to your ideas, requirements, likes, dislikes and ideas.

I want one as tough as a Maxped or a Kifaru and with as good of compartmentalization, with metal zippers, a reinforced bottom, and a protective compartment for an SLR not accessible from the back, but looks like something a college student might carry...like something out of L.L. Bean, or from Wal-Mart or something...colors like blue and black, green and black, grey and black or something,but no bright colors....

and at a Wal-Mart price :p

Oh yeah guess I forgot I needed it to be under 49.95....

On a serious note I like the way maxpedition puts molle over Alice system. I really like the look of the kelty but don't know that they are worth the money. I have read a couple of reviews but still wonder how they hold up over time. Stuff like this I like to buy right the first time.

I'm in a somewhat similar situation looking for a midsize (3000 cu in) pack to take on an upcoming trip to India. My old travel pack is over 10 yrs old and is done.
I got a great deal on a Maxped Vulture II (along with a couple of kifaru pouches) and have also ordered a Kelty 3100. We'll see which one I keep.

My big issue with packs is that they seem to be made for a smaller person. I'm 6'2" with 52" shoulders and a long torso. Consequently I have issues with the spacing on shoulder straps (military style packs seem to be better about width issues here) and the pack sitting right on my back, particularly with the waistbelt (backpacking packs seem to do better here).

Under $50 I think you're going to have a hard time. Sometimes you can find some good deals on Sierra Trading Post. Lowe Alpine is what I use for backpacking packs and they have held up well. Maxpedition stuff is pretty decent stuff. Kifaru is excellent and in the hiking world Kelty is known for good value for your dollar.

Your biggest issues for a good pack are going to be molle and your price point. If you can do without the molle then you will have a better shot at finding a decent pack on sale in your price range.
Good luck.

Last edited:

i would love to see a pack with most of the refinements of the
"military" look... webbing, multi layers of dividers, pockets. But if you make one that can you give a color option that blends in with normal back packs. What i am trying to say is that i would love to see a "tactical" bag with a color theme of a non military nature.

possibly a charcoal gray with accents of red, green, blue, etc. something that makes it not scream "i'm tacticool"

if that didn't make any sense let me know and i will try to explain further

I think your going to be hard pressed to find a sweeter pack than the kifaru pointman or the eblerstock halftrack both 50 liter and molle out the wazoo. pricey as shit thought you'd be better off just buying a gregory triconi 60 lighter and way cheaper.

Have a look at the offerings from Mystery Ranch. Their packs are absolutely fantastic. (Particularly the Dragon Slayer.)

(Not $50 or under though)

As far as a pack?

I'd like something with a lot of ... toughness, similar to my Condor II. 1000d cordura, or a tough waxed canvas.
I'd want external pockets, at LEAST two of a similar configuration to the Condor II, but with each of them just a little bit bigger.
Better than the Condor II, I'd prefer something like the Condor II's main outside pocket (the lower one), with ALICE (or Becker Patrol Pack) type pockets on either side. Even better if you can add upper smaller external pockets like the large ALICE or the Becker.
PALS/MOLLE webbing on each side, and the back. Must be able to add things like canteen holders, or sustainment pouches, or (my personal favorite) Maxped Nalgene bottle holders.
Straps on the bottom for securing things like a ridgerest (you know, you really can sleep just about ANYWHERE with a regular-sized ridgerest. Even MORESO if it can fit a full size ridgerest).
A REMOVEABLE internal frame, or capability to either go frameless like the Becker, or add an external frame, like a medium sized ALICE concept.

If you could do it for under $200 (YEAH, I know, keep dreaming), I think you'd have a winner. Hey, I know you like a challenge.

My pack desires:

--Top-loader. You can load them more full, everything is in one spot, they are easy to waterproof everything (just line the main compartment with a heavy duty trashbag)

--No zippers for the main compartment. (I don't mind an internal pocket zipper or a pouch zipper but no zippers on anything that matters.) And the zippers used should be those heavy duty #10ykk type.

--Somewhere in the neighborhood of 2,500 cu in. That way, I can live indefinitely out of just this pack.

--streamlined on the outside. I don't mind a couple of pouch style pockets (one to hold a nalgene, one to hold dirty underwear,is sufficient) but no straps, bungies, tags, 8 handles, ropes, and whatever else these crazy designers use to get you tangled up on trees, crowded kombi's, trains, etc. I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I'm not interested in molle. If i need to strap a bunch of other pouches on it, I'll just get a bigger pack. Maybe a small strip right down the middle of the pack.

--if it must come with a waist belt, I want it removable

--if it has a sternum strap, it should be made of webbing and not elastic. Elastic always wears out and looks crappy. I'd prefer no elastic anywhere, come to think of it--like water bottle pockets, etc.

--I have no need for a laptop sleeve, a hydration pocket or anything else that looks good on paper but only adds weight and takes up space over the long haul.

--Don't really know how to articulate this, but I'd prefer the pack to be tall and narrow, rather than short and wide. I find it better to have the pack run the legnth of the spine, rather than be low on the back and so wide, it sticks out on either side of your body to catch on things. Because it is more narrow, I think you could do away with compression straps to keep everything tidy. Also, because it is tall, I can wrap my crash pad around the inside to provide structure and still close the lid.

--Buckles should be heavy duty plastic, no metal (ex. No metal button snaps).

--Here's the tough part--I want it to be incredibly durable but not look too tactical. As such, I need absolutely NO velcro on the outside. I'm not planning on sporting a "Bang One, Bang 'Em All"; "Pork Eating Crusader"; or "Suck Meter" patch in the Amman airport.

--incorporate some sort of hidden pocket somewhere for papers, documents, money, etc. RYP knows what I'm talking about here. Maybe somewhere in the reinforced bottom--a space between the two pieces with a velcro strip right where the side seam would be so that when viewing the empty inside, you don't notice it.

--It would be nice to somehow create a pack that has some ventilation between your back and the pack itself, but it's not a deal killer and if it adds to much weight or bulk, just scrap the idea. I have an Oakley pack that does a decent job at this, but nothing I like enough to copy.

Those are just some of the things I've been kicking around for awhile. I'm very interested in seeing what Robert comes out with. He has a very good head for gear.

My pack desires:

--Top-loader. You can load them more full, everything is in one spot, they are easy to waterproof everything (just line the main compartment with a heavy duty trashbag)

Those are just some of the things I've been kicking around for awhile. I'm very interested in seeing what Robert comes out with. He has a very good head for gear.

Dang, I think you just described my old Gregory Shasta! Except it is twice the cubic inches you specify.

here is the first design.
armadillo-purse.jpg

Here is our Navy SEAL tactical version
ugly-toad-purse.jpg

Sorry I'm out! I just like molle for mag pouches and ability to hang blades. Not much on adding bags/pouches...

Dang, I think you just described my old Gregory Shasta! Except it is twice the cubic inches you specify.

I'm familiar with that pack. I used the Palisade hiking the AT. Gregory stuff is good, but yeah, it is too large.

They are also unnecessarily heavy due to all the hard plastic inside and the mondo waist belt. Also, too many straps and wotnot. If I had to carry 60 lbs of crap or more, Gregory would be my first choice.

But, running from the FARC or the Tamil Tigers, I gotta be light and fast:D

Robert--digitize that 'dillo's pattern, add some velcro on the top for blood type patches (doctors can't be trusted to type your blood during an emergency, you know), cover the belly with molle and you'd sell a thousand at SHOT. Just say that DELTA uses them.

after looking at the mystery ranch packs again i like how they have the molle on the sides. i only want to strap a junglas on one side and hatchet or h2O on the other. i would not need it across the rest of the pack. i agree with a longer/narrower pack. i think 3000-3750cu in would be nice. there are some items i could go without but also be nice to have a pack that could take them if up you are up to hauling the extra load.

for those who do not like the molle. you could inlude a velcro cover to hide it. guess i just have too much time at work. i could prob keep going about this for days the more i read and research. it seems like i see good and bad things on all the packs mentioned, just none that have it all in one bundle.

I second the Mystery Ranch Packs... I have gone out to their place in Bozeman and they make top of the line stuff... I personally am a fan of packs that have external frames, RYP, take a look at the bullpac Pack Frames and bags, I own one of them and it is by far the best frame I have ever used. I sure would like a different Bag for it though, I have one of the Lochsa bags, and it is awesome for hunting, but it could be better... I would love to have MOLLE on the sides for a rifle/shotgun scabbard of some sorts. Just some ideas for you to take into consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back