looking for a pack, need suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think your going to be hard pressed to find a sweeter pack than the kifaru pointman or the eblerstock halftrack both 50 liter and molle out the wazoo. pricey as shit thought you'd be better off just buying a gregory triconi 60 lighter and way cheaper.

That pointman looks good except all the molle. Put 6" wide molle down the sides and couple pockets lime the condor ii just a little bigger. That pack at $250 or less would be very popular I think. The two pockets could get to the 3300-3500 size. I like outer pockets to put stuff that gets more use in, like filter/pump. Small stove, snacks, flashlights, or any thing that you would not want falling down in the main compartment making you unload 1/2 of it to find what you were looking for.

I have 3 levels of pack I work/play with.First is my Maxpedition Lunada gearslinger.Great pack for light fast travel.It's very much a necessary things only pack as it's quite small.I carry my camera,camera gear and a bottle of water and usually my "go kit" and a snack.
my second and most often used pack is easily my condor 2 also from Maxpedition.I have several "extras" added to this one.My med kit is a F.I.G.H.T. Medical Pouch attached to the right side.I have a canteen holder on the left side.I have taken it on tones of day hikes and camping trips and it's been just superb.Although I do find in the summer that your back can get warm wearing it in the heat.
My last level of pack is a Lowe Alpine Liberty 75.This pack has been my home away from home for many years and many,many miles.huge capacity but extremely comfortable even after 4 days of wearing it with 50 lbs of gear in it.

https://kifaru.net/militarypacks.htm - Best of the best. Too many good choices to post pics.
http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/ - I have had my eye on a Fast Pack for a while now.
fastpack2.jpg

http://leaf.arcteryx.com/?EN - My favorite.
Tango-Crocodile.jpg

http://www.blackhawk.com/catalog/Tactical,44.htm - What I currently use.
http://www.tacticaltailor.com/packs.aspx - Never had one but I have heard good things.
http://www.londonbridgetrading.com/ - Very nice stuff and the price isn't too bad either.

While it doesn't have to be purple, I need one that doesn't scream "SHOOT ME FIRST".

I don't want anything that looks like someone from the military would want to wear it.

While it doesn't have to be purple, I need one that doesn't scream "SHOOT ME FIRST".

I don't want anything that looks like someone from the military would want to wear it.
Not too many bags with molle look non-military. Just about all of the companies above have many bags that have a variety of options and colors. Or just buy a plain bag from Kelty and have someone sew molle on it. Kifaru makes everything from hi-speed to civilian. Check out http://www.amronintl.com/

My pack desires:

--Top-loader. You can load them more full, everything is in one spot, they are easy to waterproof everything (just line the main compartment with a heavy duty trashbag)

--No zippers for the main compartment. (I don't mind an internal pocket zipper or a pouch zipper but no zippers on anything that matters.) And the zippers used should be those heavy duty #10ykk type.

--Somewhere in the neighborhood of 2,500 cu in. That way, I can live indefinitely out of just this pack.

--streamlined on the outside. I don't mind a couple of pouch style pockets (one to hold a nalgene, one to hold dirty underwear,is sufficient) but no straps, bungies, tags, 8 handles, ropes, and whatever else these crazy designers use to get you tangled up on trees, crowded kombi's, trains, etc. I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I'm not interested in molle. If i need to strap a bunch of other pouches on it, I'll just get a bigger pack. Maybe a small strip right down the middle of the pack.

--if it must come with a waist belt, I want it removable

--if it has a sternum strap, it should be made of webbing and not elastic. Elastic always wears out and looks crappy. I'd prefer no elastic anywhere, come to think of it--like water bottle pockets, etc.

--I have no need for a laptop sleeve, a hydration pocket or anything else that looks good on paper but only adds weight and takes up space over the long haul.

--Don't really know how to articulate this, but I'd prefer the pack to be tall and narrow, rather than short and wide. I find it better to have the pack run the legnth of the spine, rather than be low on the back and so wide, it sticks out on either side of your body to catch on things. Because it is more narrow, I think you could do away with compression straps to keep everything tidy. Also, because it is tall, I can wrap my crash pad around the inside to provide structure and still close the lid.

--Buckles should be heavy duty plastic, no metal (ex. No metal button snaps).

--Here's the tough part--I want it to be incredibly durable but not look too tactical. As such, I need absolutely NO velcro on the outside. I'm not planning on sporting a "Bang One, Bang 'Em All"; "Pork Eating Crusader"; or "Suck Meter" patch in the Amman airport.

--incorporate some sort of hidden pocket somewhere for papers, documents, money, etc. RYP knows what I'm talking about here. Maybe somewhere in the reinforced bottom--a space between the two pieces with a velcro strip right where the side seam would be so that when viewing the empty inside, you don't notice it.

--It would be nice to somehow create a pack that has some ventilation between your back and the pack itself, but it's not a deal killer and if it adds to much weight or bulk, just scrap the idea. I have an Oakley pack that does a decent job at this, but nothing I like enough to copy.

Those are just some of the things I've been kicking around for awhile. I'm very interested in seeing what Robert comes out with. He has a very good head for gear.

It sounds like the Kifaru Molle Express would be the PERFECT pack for you based on what you just described in your run down. It has every single thing you listed in there and they are absolutely bullet proof! I have an X-Ray which is one size down. It's hands down the best pack that I've ever used, military or civilian. I've only had for a year and I'm already looking to get another that's slightly larger, most likely the Marauder. All their packs are make to order and you have plenty of color options. If they don't have one you want, get the color fabric you want and send it to them and they'll make your pack out of that for you. Check them out!!!

Been thinking more about my dream pack...I think the top load would be great, but add a zippered/expandable lid. It could easily add enough room for shirt/pants...even if it is constructed with rain fly material..possibly as part of the rain fly.

I want one as tough as a Maxped or a Kifaru and with as good of compartmentalization, with metal zippers, a reinforced bottom, and a protective compartment for an SLR not accessible from the back, but looks like something a college student might carry...like something out of L.L. Bean, or from Wal-Mart or something...colors like blue and black, green and black, grey and black or something,but no bright colors....

i would love to see a pack with most of the refinements of the
"military" look... webbing, multi layers of dividers, pockets. But if you make one that can you give a color option that blends in with normal back packs. What i am trying to say is that i would love to see a "tactical" bag with a color theme of a non military nature.

possibly a charcoal gray with accents of red, green, blue, etc. something that makes it not scream "i'm tacticool"

if that didn't make any sense let me know and i will try to explain further

My pack desires:

--streamlined on the outside. I don't mind a couple of pouch style pockets (one to hold a nalgene, one to hold dirty underwear,is sufficient) but no straps, bungies, tags, 8 handles, ropes, and whatever else these crazy designers use to get you tangled up on trees, crowded kombi's, trains, etc. I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I'm not interested in molle. If i need to strap a bunch of other pouches on it, I'll just get a bigger pack. Maybe a small strip right down the middle of the pack.

--if it must come with a waist belt, I want it removable

--if it has a sternum strap, it should be made of webbing and not elastic. Elastic always wears out and looks crappy. I'd prefer no elastic anywhere, come to think of it--like water bottle pockets, etc.

--I have no need for a laptop sleeve, a hydration pocket or anything else that looks good on paper but only adds weight and takes up space over the long haul.

--Don't really know how to articulate this, but I'd prefer the pack to be tall and narrow, rather than short and wide. I find it better to have the pack run the legnth of the spine, rather than be low on the back and so wide, it sticks out on either side of your body to catch on things. Because it is more narrow, I think you could do away with compression straps to keep everything tidy. Also, because it is tall, I can wrap my crash pad around the inside to provide structure and still close the lid.

--Here's the tough part--I want it to be incredibly durable but not look too tactical. As such, I need absolutely NO velcro on the outside. I'm not planning on sporting a "Bang One, Bang 'Em All"; "Pork Eating Crusader"; or "Suck Meter" patch in the Amman airport.

--incorporate some sort of hidden pocket somewhere for papers, documents, money, etc. RYP knows what I'm talking about here. Maybe somewhere in the reinforced bottom--a space between the two pieces with a velcro strip right where the side seam would be so that when viewing the empty inside, you don't notice it.

Mr. RYP:

First off, Happy New Year to everybody!

Secondly, as some guy who's into designing stuff, I took the liberty of quoting for emphasis common themes we all share. I think as everything is still in the planning stages, I'm forwarding some design platform or baselines as something to start with.

Here's a design platform I really like which dovetails with a lot of the above.

GO RUCK Packs

Yep, I already had a severe case of WTF!?!! when I saw how much they cost, but they do seem to be well made and very rugged. If they seem too minimalist without load-management capacity (i.e. - without a sternum strap or belt), some posters who have it in another forum say that they are well-made enough that they don't need one. Although I myself prefer them.

Here's a review with details -

http://www.aaronlam.com/blog/2010/12/10/goruck-gr1/

For my own suggestions

1. Durability - a given. Cordura 1000D seems to be the industry standard
2. Panel loader/clamshell opening - all things considered, I'd want to be able to fully access my pack, especially during emergencies. #10 YKK zippers for main opening seems to be industry standard
4. Right-sized - weight vs. mobility vs. capacity issues
3. "Grayman compliant" - a common theme quoted above. No PALS/MOLLE overkill
4. EDC-Organized
5. Security vis-a-vis Ease of Access - I'm sure you're familiar with this having travelled here in the "third world", walking with a large, fully loaded back pack on crowded streets. Can we have the zipper access on the main at the back instead of the front?
6. Belts and straps are BOTH stowable and removable - if they're simply removed, chances are they might be forgotten or lost
7. Rubber bottom - some Jansport packs have this
8. Hi-viz or color contrasted insides - i.e. - yellow for low-light situations.

That's all on top of my head. . .

Last edited:
thanks untamed!! Never heard of those before. I'm very familiar with all of the other bags mentioned and have dismissed them for one reason or another.

Those bags seem to have potential--I would like to make some changes to them but I like the simplicity.

I also agree with most of what you said, although i prefer a top-loader mainly because I don't want to risk a zipper breaking but also for the security reason you said, I don't want someone to be able to easily unzip my bag when I'm in the middle of a million people at a Moroccan train station.

Good stuff, dude.

For my own suggestions

2. Panel loader/clamshell opening - all things considered, I'd want to be able to fully access my pack, especially during emergencies. #10 YKK zippers for main opening seems to be industry standard
4. EDC-Organized
5. Security vis-a-vis Ease of Access - I'm sure you're familiar with this having travelled here in the "third world", walking with a large, fully loaded back pack on crowded streets. Can we have the zipper access on the main at the back instead of the front?
6. Belts and straps are BOTH stowable and removable - if they're simply removed, chances are they might be forgotten or lost

Aside from #7 and #8, that's very similar to the ESEE Laserna pack. I'd have to double check #6..I know the waistbelt is removable and the shoulder straps are stowable, but I'm not sure they come completely off. I actually removed the waistbelt and stowed the left shoulder strap and use the single right strap for EDC carry since I don't walk very far day to day. If I had to go for a long walk, I'd pull the other strap out.

I'd really like to have a rubber or vinyl bottom also...I've got an old German rucksack with the rubber bottom and it's really nice to be able to put it down in the snow or otherwise wet enviroment and just be able to brush it off without the pack and contents getting wet. For drainage, putting a grommet on either side of the pack at the very bottom near the vinyl would work well without having a hole directly on the bottom (therefore negating any waterproofness the vinyl bottom would offer..)

Mr. RYP:

For my own suggestions

4. EDC-Organized

Sounds like a decent list, but I would disagree with 3. Grayman compliant. MOLLE/PALS is compliant, in the right color schemes. Well, most of the time (a full exterior of MOLLE might stand out a bit... but I guess that might be exactly what you're talking about).

I don't think anyone would give my Condor II a second look in khaki/coyote or black, although in any of the camo colors or olive drab (like mine is), it might stand out a bit. But I think it goes beyond that, too; take any pack out, use the crap outta it so it LOOKS used and a little dirty, and it won't stand out so bad saying "rob me" if you dress correctly.

rockspyder--maybe in the US, but in my experience, in other countries, molle=u.s. gov. At least in some form or fashion. In my travels in S. America, Europe, Africa, Asia and the Middle East, I've never observed anyone other than an American or someone related to American government carry molle stuff.

The only thing I've seen that was close was the North Face daisy-chain style strips of webbing.

It's not the end of the world to have molle but given my preferences, I'd have none of it.

I think it has it's use in the tactical/woodland world, but for traveling, I don't want it.

Instead of getting a new travel pack why don't you just quit traveling. That seems to be the easiest answer to you troubles.

L.A. police gear has some good stuff and there having a New years sale for 15% off anything i get alotta stuff from there ...

Rockspyder:

Sounds like a decent list, but I would disagree with 3. Grayman compliant. MOLLE/PALS is compliant, in the right color schemes. Well, most of the time (a full exterior of MOLLE might stand out a bit... but I guess that might be exactly what you're talking about).

Yep, some very MOLLE/PALS minimal only in the necessary attachment areas MOLLE/PALS is ok (like I said, no overkill). I really prefer though that the design be as self-contained as possible with only the barest of attachments. I think Expatriated below sums it up nicely as my reference is indeed outside of the US.

rockspyder--maybe in the US, but in my experience, in other countries, molle=u.s. gov. At least in some form or fashion. In my travels in S. America, Europe, Africa, Asia and the Middle East, I've never observed anyone other than an American or someone related to American government carry molle stuff.

The only thing I've seen that was close was the North Face daisy-chain style strips of webbing.

It's not the end of the world to have molle but given my preferences, I'd have none of it.

I think it has it's use in the tactical/woodland world, but for traveling, I don't want it.

Last edited:

Ahh... now I understand. Can't disagree with you there.

And you don't like the Becker Patrol Pack? It seems to be a favorite of RYP himself, or at least use d to be based on his article in um... Men's Journal? And still available, although only from Blackhawk, I believe.

I personally like a bit of a mix of the two. I don't like everything in one pouch, be it top loading or panel. I like external pouches, at least some. But I already went through my preferences in my earlier post. I have gotten to the point I almost have to have some MOLLE on the outside.

Last edited:
I do like the Becker pack. I think it's the best one out there. But hard to get. Even Ethan couldn't get me one ????

I currently prefer my Oakley, which is very similar to the Becker but looks gay...uh...European, I mean. Yeah that's it.

I'm just interested in RYP's take on the pack since he has unique ideas and several years ago, he and I had a discussion on how Ethan's pack could be improved. So, I'm intrigued to see what comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back