Looking for best slicer pocket knife

Well opinel seems to be getting a lot of votes but I do like the sound of being able to take it apart. The Ontario rat 1 in d2 seems to be the way I am leaning right now

Two good choices both will out slice the microtech stitch. For me the Rat would make a better field dresser than the Opinel. Clean up will be easier to.

Spyderco Chaparral Lightweight, CTS-XHP, 0.08" thick blade stock, strong lockback, and a modern look. otherwise I recommend the Opinel lineup.

All suggestions are welcome except no Spyderco as I am just not a fan of their knives. Good products just not to my taste

While I agree with the vast majority of Spyderco suggestions, and they were the first options to pop into my head as well, I'm getting a kick outta all of those responses given the OP's stated preferences.

Good luck with your choice, OP!

If you're looking for the best slicing knife, just look at what the people who slice and dice for a living use. Meat cutters, chef's, trappers who do a lot of skinning. The thinner the blade the better, and full flat grind. Victorinox or Old Hickory paring knives and Case sodbusters.

Down on the Maryland easter shore they have muskrat skinning contests. You should see how fast these guys who are real trappers get the hide off a muskrat. Like it has zippers. They use small thin paring knives or a lot of Case Sodbusters. I knew a professional trapper and hunting guide who did all the field dressing fro his hunting clients and he used an old beat up but razor sharp Case small sodbuster. After 20 some Years he wore tout and bought another one. I asked him if he looked at any other knives but he said no, he'd use what worked for him. This man dressed and skinned more game every hunting season than most people do n a lifetime.

I had a 30 year love/hate relationship with Opinel before I got tired of messing with them. Too fiddly and now they've messed with the locking ring design to make it a real PITA to lock and unlock if you're right handed. I've walked away from them. A good sharp Case sodbuster will slice just as well, and the synthetic handle won't absorb blood or other contaminants that can grow bacteria like the wood Opinel handle. Plus they carry better in pants pockets due to them being flat on the sides rather than like a large dowel rod in the pocket like an Opinel.

I'd really recommend a fixed blade for game. Folders get gunky.

A little surprised by some of these recommendations. An Opinel for being outside in the weather, and covered in blood? Consider being outside, maybe in rain, maybe muddy, knife will quickly get slippery with blood, and you're trying to move quickly. A small fiddly knife, or a blade closing on you unexpectedly is the last thing you need.

imo, larger handle, locking, decent enough steel to stay sharp when you hit something hard. I like Dean51's suggestions. Maybe reconsider some of the Spydercos. I would go larger than the Chaparral. The Spydiechef blade would be great. I'd want more handle grip, so FRN, G-10, or Micarta.

Maybe reconsider a fixed blade?

Last edited:
Hmm, I'm kind of interested in CRKT's Voxnaes HVAS Field Strip knife. Nice thin, hollow-ground blade...

CRKT-Voxnaes-HVAS-Field-Strip-Black-GRN-Satin-2817-BHQ-76673-jr-large.jpg

I do agree, thinner is often better for skinning...

ROCK6

A little surprised by some of these recommendations. An Opinel for being outside in the weather, and covered in blood? Consider being outside, maybe in rain, maybe muddy, knife will quickly get slippery with blood, and you're trying to move quickly. A small fiddly knife, or a blade closing on you unexpectedly is the last thing you need.

Opinel wouldn't be my suggestion either, but with the lock ring, there is no reason to expect they'd close on anyone unexpectedly. I've tried to overcome the lock ring, and it take quite an effort. That's not going to close unless you want it to.

I'm remaining silent . . . well until the second Opinel volley then I had to say : I want to see someone close a good size Opinel after it has had enough water on it to wash out blood etc., . . .
come on . . .

I want to see it !
better take an old sheath that it will fit into . . .
better yet just take a fixed; that is what they are for.
Those plastic handled Openel with a whistle built in the handle open and close easy enough when wet, but for some strange and/or odd reason Opinel only sees fit to put a stainless blade in them ...

Admittedly, the wood handled ones can be a little difficult if you have not sealed the handle. I dunno why Opinel don't seal the wood handles with wax, food grade mineral oil, or something.

but for some strange and/or odd reason Opinel only sees fit to put a stainless blade in them ...

People who would be concerned about wet environments would probably lean toward plastic handles. They'd also lean toward stainless blades, so it makes sense to me. If i got a plastic one, I'd want a stainless blade. That's a big advantage. All the pros of an Opinel, but with no concern for wet weather... Opinel's stainless is excellent and in my experience sharpens and holds an edge the same as the carbon steel. I see no advantage to carbon steel from a functional prospective. I like it because it's more "old timey" but I admit it has nothing to do with function.

Most posters in this thread seem to focus too much on the blade being thin but failing to address edge retention.

I agree that the Opinel would have to get slippery during field dressing, and I do not think it would be the best knife for the job. I bought a RAT 2 for a friend and do agree that blade shape of the RATs should do just fine. I too am unsure of what folder(s) of mine I want to take to the woods this upcoming season o_O. I have been interested in getting a WE, but they never seemed super slicey. That Rectifier suggestion earlier though seems like it would be a great selection for the job ...at $144, seems like a pretty decent deal to me. Anyone pick up a Rectifier yet??

Well opinel seems to be getting a lot of votes but I do like the sound of being able to take it apart. The Ontario rat 1 in d2 seems to be the way I am leaning right now
I posted earlier that the Rat 1 was a good choice but I believe the Rat 2 would be a better choice at least for field dressing.
It's easier to work a short blade when field dressing, plus it will be a better EDC slicer.

If you're looking for the best slicing knife, just look at what the people who slice and dice for a living use. Meat cutters, chef's, trappers who do a lot of skinning. The thinner the blade the better, and full flat grind. Victorinox or Old Hickory paring knives and Case sodbusters.

Down on the Maryland easter shore they have muskrat skinning contests. You should see how fast these guys who are real trappers get the hide off a muskrat. Like it has zippers. They use small thin paring knives or a lot of Case Sodbusters. I knew a professional trapper and hunting guide who did all the field dressing fro his hunting clients and he used an old beat up but razor sharp Case small sodbuster. After 20 some Years he wore tout and bought another one. I asked him if he looked at any other knives but he said no, he'd use what worked for him. This man dressed and skinned more game every hunting season than most people do n a lifetime.

I had a 30 year love/hate relationship with Opinel before I got tired of messing with them. Too fiddly and now they've messed with the locking ring design to make it a real PITA to lock and unlock if you're right handed. I've walked away from them. A good sharp Case sodbuster will slice just as well, and the synthetic handle won't absorb blood or other contaminants that can grow bacteria like the wood Opinel handle. Plus they carry better in pants pockets due to them being flat on the sides rather than like a large dowel rod in the pocket like an Opinel.

I'd really recommend a fixed blade for game. Folders get gunky.
My Case Sodbuster was hollow grind. An ok but not great slicer.

sb.jpg

Most posters in this thread seem to focus too much on the blade being thin but failing to address edge retention.
While edge retention is important, an Opinel, SAK, Rough Rider, Case, Buck, Ulster, Imperial, etc. traditional knife has never failed to hold an edge long enough for me to finish the job at hand. Not even if the "job at hand" was skinning and dressing 3 deer. :)

North arm knives makes thin bladed s35vn knives. I haven’t tried their skaha flipper but it seems like it might do the trick. I have tried their trillium bird and trout fixed blade, and it makes a great paring knife.

Buck 501, 301
CRK Mnandi

I prefer a fixed blade myself as well, but if I were to use a folder I currently own exclusively it would be one of these three. They are my “sliciest” blades and hold an edge well in my opinion.

A great many good suggestions already. I’ll add a Buck 110, after all it was designed for that use. Also, many Spydercos are very slicey. Aside from the aforementioned Delica is the Endura and many others. Opinels are great and I will add the Ontario Rat series.

IMG_1768.JPG IMG_1772.JPG Throwing this out there, but I got a couple of Cold Steel Broken Skulls and found them to be excellent slicers. Thin, flat ground, and great steel. Cuts as well as a PM2 with an even longer blade. Grippy scales, very thin, and light. No blade play at all and a tough lockback. Only con I have found is wonky name and too tight of a pocket clip.

Recycled pics:

Back