Looking for EDC fixed blade suggestions

jameshowardbsa

Gold Member
I am hoping some of you here in the forums might be able to help based on past experience. I am looking to add a fixed blade as my edc. I am just so tired of quality control issues on folders. There is no science whatsoever to it. I have spend 250+ on folding knives that had off center blades and blade play, and I have spent $30 on some that don't. It is all over the place and frankly I have become just too picky (I admit, just too picky to be comfortable anymore).

I have looked at the Bradford Guardian 3 for a long time, but I wear basketball shorts as often as I do pants with a belt, so the stock sheath would not work for me. I am looking for a fixed blade with a sheath that has a clip or clips to attach. I love my Benchmade SOCP and the clip on that, but it is very purpose driven and not a utility blade.

Hoping some of you can send some good suggestions. Thanks for reading!

Guardian 3 is excellent. I have carried an ESEE Izula2 on my hip, every single day, for 5 years. If I have on pants....I have an Izula2 on me. It has been like my right arm, and since I started carrying it, there have been a few great blades like it that have come to market. Many people will look past the old ESEE for the newer stuff with super wonder whizzle mega steels, but I can't seem to get this thing off my belt. Also since I came upon carrying a SAK tinker in my l.f.p. and a small fixed blade on my hip, I haven't really toted a folder. Here and there for fun perhaps.

Some of my other favorites.

Guardian 3/3.5
ESEE 3/Rat3....clip for carry
Enzo Brisa Bobtail 80 and Enzo Necker
White River Backpacker pro....clip for carry
Spyderco Street Beat....clip for carry

Reactions: vba
Guardian 3 is excellent. I have carried an ESEE Izula2 on my hip, every single day, for 5 years. If I have on pants....I have an Izula2 on me. It has been like my right arm, and since I started carrying it, there have been a few great blades like it that have come to market. Many people will look past the old ESEE for the newer stuff with super wonder whizzle mega steels, but I can't seem to get this thing off my belt. Also since I came upon carrying a SAK tinker in my l.f.p. and a small fixed blade on my hip, I haven't really toted a folder. Here and there for fun perhaps.

Some of my other favorites.

Guardian 3/3.5
ESEE 3/Rat3....clip for carry
Enzo Brisa Bobtail 80 and Enzo Necker
White River Backpacker pro....clip for carry
Spyderco Street Beat....clip for carry

Thanks for these suggestions! I was just looking at an ESEE 4, but now I have to look at the Izula2! Appreciate you brother!

I've never EDCed a fixed blade (that's not legal here, unfortunately), but I love my White River Backpacker Pro and it seems like a solid choice in the "small utility" space where the Guardian 3 sits. I use mine as a backpacking knife; my clip of choice is a small Tek-Lok.

You can save a bit of money and get the non-Pro version, which comes with a paracord wrap instead of the G10 scales -- but the scales are great.

CcaoT9z.jpg

8fiSIwq.jpg

I've never EDCed a fixed blade (that's not legal here, unfortunately), but I love my White River Backpacker Pro and it seems like a solid choice in the "small utility" space where the Guardian 3 sits. I use mine as a backpacking knife; my clip of choice is a small Tek-Lok.

You can save a bit of money and get the non-Pro version, which comes with a paracord wrap instead of the G10 scales -- but the scales are great.

CcaoT9z.jpg

8fiSIwq.jpg

Nice Suggestion!! Thanks!

25mB64r.jpg

Ruike Hornet is a sweet little knife. 14C28N steel, perfect for sweaty shorts. Multi positional sheath with clip. Inexpensive without sacrificing quality.
This is a real possibility! I love the multi positional clip. I like the idea of scout carry on times I need to be more discreet. Thanks for this suggestion!

Hi James, welcome to the forum.

1. Are neck knives legal in your area? That might solve the carry problem when you wear basketball shorts.

2. Price range? I guess at least $120 if you are considering the Bradford 3. Btw, I've heard nothing but good things about Bradford knives.

Reactions: vba
I think you need to find a knife you like then have a kydex sheath made for it. Picking a knife based on its sheath isn’t necessarily the best approach.

Go to Diomedes Industries' web site and have a look at some of their fixed blade pocket sheaths with clips. I carry one almost daily with either a Bradford G3 or a Dozier Personal Utility in it. I have a couple of sizes so I can carry different sized FBs in my pocket.

Last edited:
Hi James, welcome to the forum.

1. Are neck knives legal in your area? That might solve the carry problem when you wear basketball shorts.

2. Price range? I guess at least $120 if you are considering the Bradford 3. Btw, I've heard nothing but good things about Bradford knives.
Neck knives are legal, but I have several and none of them are comfortable. I am very active so the paracord or chain on the neck never feels real great.

I love the look of the Guardian 3, several of the blade styles, and I love the leather sheath. I wish it had a clip instead of a belt loop!

I think you need to find a knife you like then have a kydex sheath made for it. Picking a knife based on its sheath isn’t necessarily the best approach.
You are probably right. I just thought that if I could find one that was made to be carried like that, the comfort level might also be there. Definitely checking out all options. Thanks!

Have you seen the KaBar TDI knives? They might suit your needs.

Spyderco Ronin 2, Reverse, or Perrin Street Beat LW? The G clip offers some different mounting options. $108 and under.

Cold Steel Pendelton Hunter has a few steel offerings including CPM 3V. You would probably need an aftermarket kydex sheath tho.

I'm going to mention an option which is extremely low cost, offers easy customization, and really good quality considering the low cost:
a mora fixed blade with the wooden handle (which, after some love with sandpaper, can make a wonderful custom grip)
& with all the $ you save, you can afford to get a custom sheath to your exact specs - win win
timthumb.php

Back