Looking for info about Cold Steel

I also love their machetes but I don't have any of their knives yet. I plan on trying out one of their Triad knives eventually but as far as fixed blades go, ESEE, enough said.

I don't think their machetes can be beat for the money. The 1055 they use seems to be the perfect machete steel, IMO. I also like knowing that I can slice a pig in half with my katana machete, in case that situation arises.

The katana machete is the weapon I will reach for if someone brakes into my house. Why not pretend you're LT when you're defending your turf?

The only Cold Steel machete I own is one of the "cheap" kukri blades and the handle is very uncomfortable. For the same price or less I'd get a Tramontina...if a Tram handle is a little weird you can fix it easier than the plastic Cold Steel handles.

Bottom line I think is Cold Steel has a wide range of knives and other stuff, your best bet is to find a thing you like and read reviews and watch videos before you lay down the money. Actually that's good to do with whatever you buy, Cold Steel or not.:D

Iv put my mini lawman through hell and back and its still going strong. Its aus 8 but for the price, i think it was a good purchase. Iv recently cleaned it up, sharpened it and clipped it inside my girlfriends purse in case she need it for defense or i cant reach for the one in my pocket, she can hand me hers.

Iv found ESEE and discovered a whole new type of quality and durability. But I need folders more than i need fixed blades so the benchmade bug has recently bitten me. Although not USA made, i dont think there is any denying that CS makes at least a few good products. I confident that ill buy another in the future.

Excellent responses guys, thanks for the input. This is what I meant about honest and forth coming.

Jeff, I appreciate your comments and allowing me to ask about another manufacturer on your forum.

I had always been a fan of the Recon Tanto (carbon V) and liked the design of some of the others, SRK and the R1 Military classic. I had my first recon Tanto while I was in the army and trashed that poor knife. I believe that a good knife worker could still get a good edge on it, though.

Recently, I heard some guys talk poorly of Lynn and I wasn't sure why. You guys have helped me understand now. His video's are entertaining and quite whimsical? but sometimes just plain goofy.

With the mention of design stealing, I've noticed other manufacturers make a similiar product as the R1. Is that one of the copied designs? or is it one of those traditional designs that everyone make a version of (for example, 1911's)?

I have to admit, I've only owned 4 CS products and honestly I really like the ones I've owned. I have an old beat up Carbon V SRK that has taken much abuse and I carried the HELL out of that knife until I got my RC-4. I still really dig that old SRK. The next are a Trail Hawk and a Rifleman's Hawk. I like them a lot, the only real complaint is that you have to re-profile the edges yourself and that they don't come with a sheath of any kind. The fourth was an old Carbon V Kukri. I sold it before I got much use out of it, but it was very well made and sharp as hell.

master shake,

If you look hard enough you will find people talking trash about any manufacturer. Not sure what info you're really looking for with your thread. In this business there is no such thing as design stealing in a legal sense unless there is a patent on the product (and the application has to be filed within one year of the invention). Think about it, how many times you can re-design a freakin' cutting edge? People get wound way too tight about something that looks similar. We welcome discussion on any manufacturers knives here.

master shake,

If you look hard enough you will find people talking trash about any manufacturer. Not sure what info you're really looking for with your thread. In this business there is no such thing as design stealing in a legal sense unless there is a patent on the product (and the application has to be filed within one year of the invention). Think about it, how many times you can re-design a freakin' cutting edge? People get wound way too tight about something that looks similar. We welcome discussion on any manufacturers knives here.

Fair enough. My questions have been answered and my respect has grown for the ESEE forum and it's members/ moderators.:thumbup:

Thanks to everyone!

I like the stuff, its tough. I just got a new folder from them, the American Lawman. I have owned a couple of Recon 1's, several machete's, and only one of their fixed blades, the ODA.

Some of the marketing is interesting, but it sells. Nothing bad to say, but I don't buy foreign made knives, all my CS stuff has been gifts from other people. Quality on all of them have been of the highest. Taiwan. You set the price and quality, and they meet it, no doubt. I am pretty sure the machete's I have were made in Africa.

No hating here. My American Lawman lock will hold 235lbs, and the knife only weights a little over 4oz. Pretty good in my book.

Moose

I don't have any of their expensive stuff. The machetes I've used were good. The tomahawks sometimes need a little fitting and such, but after that they're good. Of their cheaper knives, I own the Canadian belt knife, Longhunter, and Pocket Bushman. The Pocket Bushman sucks, mainly because of the locking system. It's durable, but that lock is a missing finger waiting to happen. The Canadian and Longhunter are good, but not exceptional knives. Their marketing is a bit over the top and I don't really care for it, though the kid in me thinks that hacking dead pigs in half with a big sword would be a pretty fun job.

i have already written this else where here. as i have said, the tylite is about as good as it gets when it comes to a super fast "man opener".

I have 5 or 6 Cold Steel products rangin' from 2 early 80s Urban Pals to a Ti Lite Stiletto, all great knives, includin' a massive Twist Loc in Carbon V.

Lynn Thomson's videos make me laugh but I like to see the knives in the videos too.

Just because we're on the ESEE forum it's OK to admit that we own and maybe even like some of a competitors products. I don't think Mike and Jeff are going to lose any sleep over it tonight! I also don't have any problem admitting that I like a particular knife even if the thing WAS under a hundred bucks. Sometimes the knife community can get a little 'superior' about a particular grade of steel, or about BRAND NAMES, until we forget it's ultimately just an edged piece of metal! I own cutlery from every conceivable compass point in the industry, and while I enjoy my ESEE 'stash', they're not the only horse in my stable. As for Cold Steel, I own several of their products and have no intention of relinquishing any of it regardless of LT's antics. So, again, it's OK to enjoy ALL of our cutlery if we only have the balls to admit we own it in the first place!

Just because we're on the ESEE forum it's OK to admit that we own and maybe even like some of a competitors products. I don't think Mike and Jeff are going to lose any sleep over it tonight! I also don't have any problem admitting that I like a particular knife even if the thing WAS under a hundred bucks. Sometimes the knife community can get a little 'superior' about a particular grade of steel, or about BRAND NAMES, until we forget it's ultimately just an edged piece of metal! I own cutlery from every conceivable compass point in the industry, and while I enjoy my ESEE 'stash', they're not the only horse in my stable. As for Cold Steel, I own several of their products and have no intention of relinquishing any of it regardless of LT's antics. So, again, it's OK to enjoy ALL of our cutlery if we only have the balls to admit we own it in the first place!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

My biggest issue with CS is the hit or miss quality.

They don't manufacture anything, they import things from all around the world, some good and some not worth it's weight in pot metal. Trying to figure out what your getting is a challenge at times.

I'm also not a fan of their marketing approach. I think it's detrimental to the industry as a whole to portray even the most mundane of utilitarian designs as weapons, showing the "potential of devestating wound channels" from knives like the "urban pal".

I know alot of folks disagree with me on that, had those talks more times than I care to recall here on BF.

All that said, they do offer some very cool designs that you can't get anywhere else and they do have alot of good quality blades in their line.

LT, well, I disagree with alot of what he does but I respect him alot as a business man, he's done very well in a tough industry. I can only hope to achieve as much. And I bet he's a pretty cool guy to talk with. I've never met him but everyone I know who has has had good things to say of him.

With the mention of design stealing, I've noticed other manufacturers make a similiar product as the R1. Is that one of the copied designs? or is it one of those traditional designs that everyone make a version of (for example, 1911's)?

I think you've nailed it right here - the R-1 is a "copy" of the Blackjack (Effingham) copy of the Randall model 1-7. :D
I love the looks and feel of both the CS R1 and the Blackjack 1-7, but since I found the knife too pretty to use, it wasn't practical to keep.

The Recon Scout, Trailmaster, Master Hunter, SRK, kukri machetes, finn bear, and true flight thrower are all knives I've gotten good use out of.
(and then there's the special forces shovel -- guilty pleasures and all that, but it's a hoot to throw and not a bad e-tool)

I have nothing bad to say about Cold Steel. As far as I'm concerned anyone can hate Lynn Thompson all they want but he does go and do stuff and has done some pretty good designs.

Do I buy Cold Steel products? No, but not becasue I have a dislike for them. Just never had a need. With that said, if this thread becomes a "hate Lynn and Cold Steel" thread then it will be locked quickly. It is not in this forum's interest to have passionate debates about other knife manufacturers.

That's right the only person knife manufacturer/designer we bash around here is that Ethan Becker guy.;)

(and then there's the special forces shovel -- guilty pleasures and all that, but it's a hoot to throw and not a bad e-tool)

ahh I forgot to mention that thing...I love it! Everyone should own one.

The CS Trail Hawk I own is also great.

My guilty pleasure is their spears. Useless in our modern society but damn their fun to throw at people. :D

Never killed anyone with a spear but I'll try that on my next victim

they are pretty decent. I have the aus 8 srk and i love it. Wish i could get one in V. They are much better than them pos esee knives. :p

Back