Looking for info about Cold Steel

Discussion in 'ESEE KNIVES' started by master shake, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Albin

Albin

Aug 31, 2001
    I've never understood the Cold Steel hate.

I currently own the following CS products:

- Military Classic - love the style, wish I could afford the Randall original, but this will be close enough. Didn't have it more than a week or so before I cut off the upper guard, I can't stand blades with upper guards. Sharp as heck.

- Two Voyager mid-size tanto blade pocket knives. They were my go-to pocket knives until I lost them .... :(

- SRK, this used to be my go-to knife when camping until it got replaced with my Becker Desert Crewman (which got replaced with a Gerber LMF-II (sorry Ethan!), which got replaced with a Gerber Prodigy, which got replaced with my ESEE-4). Great knife, strong as heck and sharp. I'd depend on it anywhere.

- Master Hunter, never got to use it much, especially now that I have the ESEE-4. The blade is sharp and it feels good in my hand, so I'll keep it.

- One of their African machete's. What a POS. I bought two at the same time, one for me, one for a friend (RIP Randy). Both had the crappiest steel I've ever seen on a blade, even worse than most China-crap. I don't even know where it is anymore, nor do I care.

2. aldo ixnay

aldo ixnay

Jan 15, 2011
    I have an Aus8 SRK and for the money I certainly have no complaints other than I'm not a huge fan of the Kraton handle and it's certainly not as purty as a OD/Orange 4 or as manly looking as a 6. :)

3. BlackKnight86

BlackKnight86 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 14, 2003
    +1 on the bolded statement. I think a lot of the anger toward LT is misplaced. Everyone markets.

I have over 100 Cold Steel items. What I buy currently is their specialty items, hawks, and machetes. Their specialty items are unique; there are not a lot of makers providing them, especially at that price point. That goes especially for their blow guns, which are the best that I have ever seen (not that that means anything!); but they are definitely better than the common .40 caliber models that you get out of, say, Bud K. Their machetes are nice for the price; steel is decent; edges not very good; but they're cheap enough to provide an excellent tool on which to learn how to sharpen. In support of both points: their upcoming Gladius machete...where else will you find a working gladius for $40?

The hawks are great for modding...inexpensive, halfway decent steel....just check the Axe, Tomahawk, and Hatchet forum here; you'll see a lot of examples. BladeForumite Vec uses Cold Steel hawk heads to make his hawks; from what I've heard his stuff is very highly thought of.

A couple of their swords are similar....my personal favorite is the 1917 Cutlass; it's the only Cold Steel sword I have; and I have four. Single piece of steel; take off the basket and wood scales and do your own mods. I've also seen a very nice rehandle job. The one thing you'll hear about their swords is that they are thick and blade heavy; I would agree with that, based on the cutlass. It's the "poor man's" way of making them more durable, considering that most people who use them will be hacking at trees, etc. with them. You can do better; but they wouldn't necessarily be a bad purchase. For comparison, look at Iberia Hanwei. I personally have moved to modern looking swords over "classical"; but that is a personal preference. I have heard of issues with "finishing" (loosening handles, etc.) on Cold Steel swords; and I've heard a couple of failure stories about Cold Steel swords. But I've also heard from people who are very satisfied.

I no longer buy their knives very much; personal preference - I like ESEE, Bussekin, Bark River, etc. However, I'll never get rid of the Carbon V knives that I have...Laredo, Trail Master, Kukri, Recon Tanto. It's a shame that they no longer use Carbon V; if you ever see a Carbon V Cold Steel knife for a good price, I'd get it...that was a good steel (Camillus, I believe). Other than that, the current crop of Carbon Steel knives is okay; but like I said...my preferences have shifted.

Just don't buy anything from them at MSRP!

4. mckrob

mckrob Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2007
    I own four Cold Steel knives plus a couple of machetes, and I really don't care about L.Thompson or how his knives are sold or marketed, they are all decent knives, and great value for the money.

I've posted this on more than one occasion, but here it is again.

My favourite by far is this old trusty Master Hunter that spent years on my belt and was literally all over the world with me, I really can't say a bad thing about this knife.

[​IMG]

but it doesn't get much time on my belt these days since meeting Jeff :)

5. zignal_zero

zignal_zero

Apr 16, 2008
    i've owned a few Cold Steel knives, i also own a few ESEE knives. out of ALL the knives i've ever owned, there are only TWO i have ever referred to as "TANKS": (1) Cold Steel Recon Tanto in Carbon V (2) ESEE 5

bottom line (imo) - Cold Steel kicks ass! ESEE kicks ass! :D

6. Klok

Klok

Nov 26, 2010
    Cold steel is a favorite company of mine, The marketing makes me a little sick though.

I got two recon 1s (axis lock) both have proven to be practically bomb proof.
    the Spetznas shovels they make are rather fun/cheap

Been thinking about picking up the new version of the American lawman... or the spartan (would never carry that thing but would be fun to own).

7. myesque

myesque

Feb 9, 2010
    I almost purchased a cs AK-47.... Then I saw the ESEE folding 3 coming out so I waited..... Then it got put on hold...... Now I just don't know what to do?

Any one have experience with one?

8. hiwa

hiwa

Jun 7, 2009
    My first Master Hunter is on it's way. It's only available in SM3 ( never tried it) but I'm hoping it will be a good stainless knife. I have quite a few other CS products ; a couple of SRK's , Voyagers , machetes, etc. I am very happy with them and have had no problems with them. I don't have any issues with LT either.

9. hannism

hannism

Jan 24, 2006
    Cold Steel is hit or miss.

I had a Carbon V Recon Tanto that was never used, that my old boss in the Air Force got from me. Another dear friend wanted my Special Forces Shovel.

Those two guys wouldn't stop pestering me about removing those products from me.

I regret getting rid of both knives, but especially the shovel.

I cut down trees with that thing.

I also had a titanium Ti-Lite, which I don't recommend. It's open was way too quirky and undeniable, plus it was hard as hell to close.

I still have a Trailmaster, which I've used in the field. I did chip a couple parts of the blade cutting down branched. It still works, but I didn't expect it to chip.

Some of their stuff is great. Some of it is mediocre, in my opinion. YMMV.

10. spydusse

spydusse

Dec 14, 2010
    My gf loves her kitchen knives from the 400 series ,chefs knife and bread knife. Everytime I try to buy her more expensive blades she says no . Why, because she loves the grip on the handles and says,''i have you to sharpen them''.

11. RandomAyes

RandomAyes

Oct 19, 2009
    xxxxxxzxx

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  12. formtight

formtight

Jun 21, 2009
    This is a fun blade. I always count my fingers after closing it though. And I don't think I'd want to try and do it onehanded.

13. styx

styx

Apr 21, 2010
    If you leave out Lynn and their marketing, they actually do have a fine product line. Well maybe too tacticool for my personal taste, but now way they would get so much praise if they simply sucked.

Personally I had an experience that left a bitter taste with them, but it was more with teh customer service. And honestly I'd give them another try but looking how their products here are close to, or even at the same price point as ESEE, Spyderco, Kershaw and other companies that I've hand no problems with, I'll be hard pressed to give 'em another try just like that

14. Ultimate

Ultimate

Jul 5, 2009
    Admittedly, I did not read this whole so I apologize if this has been said before.

Cold Steel isn't actually that bad. I like some of their knives and I dislike others (just like EVERY company). Their marketing strategy is.....interesting. Doesn't make them a bad company or knife maker.

In terms of "copying", knives are like music. There is not such thing as a "new" song. Every harmony, rhythm, chord progression, drum beat etc, has been written before. There are only a few small things that make a song different (melody, lyrics). Knives are the same. A lock back is a lock back, a liner lock is a liner lock. It's got a blade and a handle. You can only change so much. I wouldn't look too much into it. If you like them, buy them; if you don't, don't.

15. Klok

Klok

Nov 26, 2010
    Recently Picked up a city stick... head needed a little locktite other then that its amazing...

short of bashing the thing against concrete multiple times... I don't think you could dmg it... Also generic brand locktite takes freaking forever to dry.

Just pulled the gun on a American lawman.

Yet to regret a purchase from cold steel. My only complaint is the bastards keep coming out with stuff I want to buy.

16. monsterdog

monsterdog

Oct 27, 2008
    The marketing is funny, I'm sure they sell a LOT of stuff on that alone. People on this forum scoff at them for that, but compare it to the marketing hype of other companies that are very expensive and well represented on this forum. Apart from the theatrical videos, not much is different.

That said, I'd probably rather give my money to those other companies, the only CS products I have (and like a lot btw) are some of their cheaper fixed blades and their plastic sticks.

17. sheriff125

sheriff125

Jun 3, 2010
    i have a mini lawman and a recon- i like them both but i don't carry them because i have trouble putting an edge back on them

18. HaroldB

HaroldB

Dec 9, 2007
    I use one of CS Trail Hawk tomahawks. My only criticism was a slippery handle. So I used a file on the hard poly material and in 20 minutes made it much 'grippier'. Doesn't slip around when chopping now.

19. mcjhrobinson

mcjhrobinson

Nov 2, 2008
    only product i have is the Kopis Machete...only gripe was it came as dull as river stone...i sharpened it up and now its awesome grippy grip, stays sharp....that machete plus cordura sheath for the money was a good deal.....yeah i liked the movie 300.

20. Cascade_mtn's

Cascade_mtn's

Jan 13, 2011
    Clicked on this thread and saw the above ^^^. I do note LIKE CS, nore do I hate it...... get along with it. CS is here. So is ESEE, Spyderco, Zero Tollernece, Kershaw, and many, MANY others. Buy what you want. Stay away from what you don't. I'm not a huge fan or CS. However I had a CS Master Hunter in CV that was one of the best knives I ever had. Wish I had never given it away. Give it up. If you hate the marketing as I do, DON'T BUY THEM!!!!!!!

Easy.......... There is ROOM for them all........:mad: