Looking for someone to make a specific knife for me to buy

I don't see any posts in here so I hope this is the appropriate place for this request to go, here goes:

I tinkered around with knifemaking but lost interest due to time available. So I know this forum is full of bad ass knife makers and I am back as a customer. I am looking for a professional with a good reputation here as a maker to make a custom fixed blade knife that I can buy from them. I have some things that i want the creator to take in mind when they make this knife, but ultimately I defer to your expertise on the materials and design.

This will go in a sheath on my hip and be carried anytime I am in the woods hunting or at the lake running trotlines. A chopper is too much and a 3 inch'er is too small. It should be sufficient weight and size to skin deer/hogs and cut up Shad/Carp/Skipjack into chunks for trotlines. I don't live near saltwater and I'm not a fan of stainless steels so we can avoid those steels. I prefer the high carbon steels, like 1080 and 5160, and I understand that those steels require some TLC to keep it looking good.

If this where a forged San Mai blade i'd probably get a stiffy. I love San Mai blades with an obvious line between the two outer metals and the inner steel. I don't really dig all the numerous layers in Damascus.

My most favorite knife of all time was the Sharpfinger. Last fall I lost mine gutting a hog in the dark, on a steep slope with tons of leaves on it. Not an ideal place I know, hard lesson learned. That knife was one my dad gave me when i was a kid and I carried it ever since when hunting. Unfortunately, the new ones now days are crap. Different steel used I believe but the edge retention is terrible. This knife needs to have good edge retention.

My favorite woods are Black Walnut, Snakewood and Gaboon Ebony.

Don't worry about a sheath, i got an amazing leather guy that I use.

If interested in taking on this project please show me some pics of stuff you have done. I am not in a hurry but I would like to be able to use this knife during the November Hunter season this year. I can pay half now and the rest upon completion. That's about all I can think of, lets discuss it?

Kiteman72

Gold Member
Hey Okie! I'm not a knifemaker, just a buyer/user, but I just got an awesome blade from a maker named Joshua Fisher Joshua Fisher and I think, based on your parameters, he may be a good fit for you.

He has a knifemaker's membership here and usually has some stuff posted in the exchange. At least you can check out some of his stuff, sold or not. Great guy to deal with and his blade hasn't left my fondling table since I got it.

Joshua Fisher

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I don't see any posts in here so I hope this is the appropriate place for this request to go, here goes:

I tinkered around with knifemaking but lost interest due to time available. So I know this forum is full of bad ass knife makers and I am back as a customer. I am looking for a professional with a good reputation here as a maker to make a custom fixed blade knife that I can buy from them. I have some things that i want the creator to take in mind when they make this knife, but ultimately I defer to your expertise on the materials and design.

This will go in a sheath on my hip and be carried anytime I am in the woods hunting or at the lake running trotlines. A chopper is too much and a 3 inch'er is too small. It should be sufficient weight and size to skin deer/hogs and cut up Shad/Carp/Skipjack into chunks for trotlines. I don't live near saltwater and I'm not a fan of stainless steels so we can avoid those steels. I prefer the high carbon steels, like 1080 and 5160, and I understand that those steels require some TLC to keep it looking good.

If this where a forged San Mai blade i'd probably get a stiffy. I love San Mai blades with an obvious line between the two outer metals and the inner steel. I don't really dig all the numerous layers in Damascus.

My most favorite knife of all time was the Sharpfinger. Last fall I lost mine gutting a hog in the dark, on a steep slope with tons of leaves on it. Not an ideal place I know, hard lesson learned. That knife was one my dad gave me when i was a kid and I carried it ever since when hunting. Unfortunately, the new ones now days are crap. Different steel used I believe but the edge retention is terrible. This knife needs to have good edge retention.

My favorite woods are Black Walnut, Snakewood and Gaboon Ebony.

Don't worry about a sheath, i got an amazing leather guy that I use.

If interested in taking on this project please show me some pics of stuff you have done. I am not in a hurry but I would like to be able to use this knife during the November Hunter season this year. I can pay half now and the rest upon completion. That's about all I can think of, lets discuss it?
Hey Okie, This definitely sounds right up my alley. I’d be happy to discuss details and options if you want to send me a message, my Facebook and Instagram is Edgeknifeworks where you can see a large range of custom work I’ve done and some of my stock designs. I mainly work with high carbon steels like 8670 which is essentially 5160 on steroids but have recently started doing some blades out of w2 with hamons and have a nice piece of W2 with 416ss cladding San mai just waiting for a project like this if you’d be interested in going that route.

Hey Okie, This definitely sounds right up my alley. I’d be happy to discuss details and options if you want to send me a message, my Facebook and Instagram is Edgeknifeworks where you can see a large range of custom work I’ve done and some of my stock designs. I mainly work with high carbon steels like 8670 which is essentially 5160 on steroids but have recently started doing some blades out of w2 with hamons and have a nice piece of W2 with 416ss cladding San mai just waiting for a project like this if you’d be interested in going that route.

Messaged you on your FB page sir, couldn't figure out how to do it here.