Looking for Swiss Army Knife Recommendations

Spartan. Or the slightly smaller version, the Tourist. These days it’s mostly the Tourist for me. I reach for it all the time and I’m lost without it.

Very interesting thread. I just wish I had a use for all these SAKs, but unfortunately, I rarely use the two I do have. I have a Recruit and an SD Classic. Had the Recruit for 7 years and I think I may have used either of the blades a couple times, never used the bottle/can opener but have used the toothpick literally hundreds of times. I have used the scissors and the tweezers on the SD a couple of times as well. SAKs are very handy to have if you actually use them, but I typically carry a clipped folder and a mini trapper for all my cutting needs.

I carry both everyday as the SD Classic is on my key ring and the Recruit rides in my work vest pocket.

Real Swiss knife
HAJ8OBP.jpg

... SAKs are very handy to have if you actually use them, but I typically carry a clipped folder and a mini trapper for all my cutting needs.

I carry both everyday as the SD Classic is on my key ring and the Recruit rides in my work vest pocket.
I understand the use thing. I pondered over this issue as I was trying to downsize my edc and was carrying a Case Peanut to get the feel of it and my regular 111mm SAK. Added a clipped folder in many cases as well. Thought about it, and started carrying the Small Tinker. My first revelation was that I like it better than the Peanut. The second is that for the usual stuff I do, I don't need the 111mm SAK or the clipped folder. So, now I am carrying the Small Tinker, with the common addition of a clipped folder (but not every day).

I carried a Bantam for a while with a larger traditional. Just seemed un-necessary for me and I parked both of these knives.

As far as Vics go, I find that I go to either the Electrician, Compact, or Yeoman. Perfect "light carry" EDC's when "heavy duty" is not necessary.

9F9E96F4-9069-45A8-A64E-2DB9A89165CE.jpeg

This thread lightened my wallet to the tune of one Vic Compact, in yellow for something different.

Funny I never knew of that model until now. Looks almost perfect except no alox scale options and I'd rather have a phillips than the corkscrew.

I find it amazing just how many knife knuts carry the inexpensive Vic SAKs when they typically have a lot higher end knives in their stable to use. This says something very positive about Victorinox and practical carry choices.

Swiss champ on my belt i got for my 30th 30 years ago. Broke the saw blade cutting something I shouldn’t have been cutting lol.
upload_2019-2-18_11-7-6.jpeg
I have this but not sure what model it is.
It is a 3 layer.

upload_2019-2-18_11-16-8.jpeg
Swiss Champ, swiss champion plus,fisherman ( discontinued) and that unknown model i think is a tinker or super tinker.

Last edited:
Just realized i got a bit carried away. Sorry.
By the way is there a Victorinox forum? I scrolled and didn’t see one? Thx:):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Just realized i got a bit carried away. Sorry.
By the way is there a Victorinox forum? I scrolled and didn’t see one? Thx:):thumbsup::thumbsup:

You didn't get carried away at all. Love your well worn SAKs. I don't think there is a Victorinox forum, but there is a multitool forum, where there seems to be a lot of discussion about SAKs. I just found that forum myself :)

Last edited:
I find it amazing just how many knife knuts carry the inexpensive Vic SAKs when they typically have a lot higher end knives in their stable to use. This says something very positive about Victorinox and practical carry choices.

Very true. As much as I love having a Benchmade of some flavor with me, I reach for the SAK far more often.

Pomsbz not sure what you mean? Make a combo?
And everyone thanks for the heads up on the multi tool forum. :thumbsup::thumbsup: See you over there! :D
DN

I'll vote for the Explorer. I find scissors very handy to have and the magnifying glass comes handy. Apparently my bifocals aren't strong enough sometimes.

Back