Looking for THE Knife - Your Assistance is Welcome!

This is a re-post from the automatic forum - It occured to me after I posted there that WAY more people visit the general forum, so my appologies for the redundancey

It's time to head to the sandbox... again. That means it's time for a new knife. It's my custom to treat myself to a new toy each time before I head out. This time around, I am looking for some specific specs, and thought perhaps the fine folks of this forum would like to make some recommendations.

First - the 5500 Mini-Auto Presidio is ALMOST what I am looking for. If it only had G10 scales and a slightly different folded shape, it'd be my pick.

Another knife I am liking is the Protec Brend #2 - Its the right size, and I like the blade shape, and they are readily available with clean plain blades. BUT - again... aluminum handles are a show stopper. They just get dinged up too bad.

Here's my SPECS:

• G10 scales
  • Mid/high quality steel (154CM, VG10, etc)
  • 3" blade
  • Side-auto
  • clean blade shape (no coating or paint)
  • plain edge
  • Thinner is better
  • Tip up pocket carry

I'm not looking for a fighting or combat knife. Honestly, someone would just take it away and kill me with it. I want a good quality utilitarian knife with a bit if novelty. Used for opening MREs, stripping wire, cutting tape and 550 cord - the usuall knife stuff. Here's some knives I like:

Kershaw Leeks - I own three. My favorite is the polished G10/s30v version. These are great knives, but the reliability/durability isn't quite good enough for hard use EDC in the sandbox.

Benchmade/Doug Ritter Mini Griptilian - 2005 Deployment knife. SUPER KNIFE! Ya sure... it has FRN handles, but then it didn't cost an arm and a leg. and the S30V blade has held up very well. Just the right size.

Spyderco Rookie - 2007 Deployment knife. Great steel, G10 scales (foliage green TOO!). Too bad this knife isn't available with an auto-option.

Lone Wolf - I currently own a Diable with micarta scales. Great knife - lots of fun. The blade shape isn't so hot, though. Too pointy and vunerable. AND it's too big for what I want.

Benchmades autos are great. Very popular with the military. But I don't want aluminum handles or painted blades. Paint or epoxy or DLC or whatever on a knife is like lipstick on a pig. (see note above)

I also owned a UMS Mini. I liked that alot till I lost it. I really liked the shape of the cutting edge - big and curved. I just don't know where Microtech is going these days. They seem more interested in make M-16 parts.

So folks! Take all that goodness - put in your pipe and LIGHT UP. I am REALLY interested to see what you all recommend.

If it is simply a utility blade, then why do you want an auto? is it that hard to push a thumbstud or hole?

There's no such thing as THE knife, that's why we're all broke :(.

How about a Spyderco Caly 3? full flat ground, g-10, vg-10, tip up carry, wire clip, low riding clip, not an auto.

Or a Spyderco military/paramilitary, almost all the spydies are great options if they're going to be users.

Kerhsaw Lahar: VG-10 steel, G-10 scales, not auto but darn smooth flipper, almost as good as auto. Can be used as tip down or tip up. Plain edge its tad larger than 3" (3,5" blade)... Perhaps too big? As $60 its about (one of the) best value knife you can own. When you hold it, you can't believe that its "only" $60 knife...

Kershaw has a few autos coming out. Check out this thread for more details:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649045

It seems like there was a Kershaw/ Emerson auto collaboration on a commander.

Have you considered a knife with a wave feature? Faster than an auto and pretty fun to flip out of your pocket.

Sorry I don't have more info but might be something for you to research.

Spyderco Embassy. It has aluminum/G10 scales, auto opener, 3 1/8" blade, S30V steel, comes in an uncoated plain edge option, and is made in the USA.

I will also suggest the embassy, but I dont think an auto is a good idea when your in or around sand. They suck and pretty much become useless when sand gets in the mechanism.
I would try to stray away from an auto for now, get it when you come back home

You might want to consider a Kershaw Avalanche. I think it meets most of your criteria except for the coated blade.

But it's a very sturdy knife in a smaller package and the A/O fires like an auto. It was one of my earlier Kershaw purchases and is still a favorite ( and is priced right). I don't have a picture of my knife so I borrowed one from Kershaw.

K1570.gif

Blade Length: 3 1/8"
Blade Material: S30V
Blade Style: Drop-Point
Blade Edge: Plain
Blade Finish: Black DLC Tungsten
Handle: Black Textured G-10
OAL Closed: 4 1/2"
OAL Open: 7 5/8"
SpeedSafe Assisted
Liner Lock
Thumb Stud
Pocket Clip
Weight: 3.5 oz.
Made In: USA

Sure you don't want tip down? :)

Caly 3 is a decent choice, but I like the Manix 2 or Tenacious. They are a little larger then your 3" blade length though.

If I was you, I'd take advantage of the Military Discount on a Strider SnG... The "toy" factor is where the knife shines IMO.... SURE it is a GREAT knife, but the Sebenza 21 is a little more useful in my every day tasks and folds up neater.... that said, I LOVE me some SnG... fiddling with it is super fun... there are just so many options for opening and holding the thing... If I was you, I'd go for a GG (Gunner Grip) stonewashed flavor... It will be fun and absolutely bomber!~ ...other than auto... it really fits the bill/criteria for you. I guarantee I can open my SnG as fast as ANY auto, and pretty much any way it finds its way into my hand, I can crack it open quickly and efficiently in the case of an emergency... or most likely just for fun/practice!

Bradley Alias I or II

STR

If I was you and headed to the sand box, I'd want a knife that has the least amount of moving parts as possible since sand gets everywhere. Something that is easy to clean, easy to use, etc...I don't know your price range, so I'll go from here:

$0-100: Kershaw G-10 Tyrade - assited opening, tip up or down, beefy knife, longer than you requested, but it will get the job done.

$100-150: Several Emerson models fit this range, G-10 handles, titanium liners, tough knives. ZT0500 mudd would be perfect for you if you could put up with a coated blade.

$150-200: Bradley Alias, titanium handles, S30V blade, easy to clean, frame lock.

$200-Up: Sebenza, SnG, XM-18

I'd also be worried about flour-fine sand fugging-up my auto.

As others have noted, I've always heard that sand, dust and autos are not a good mix.

I'd suggest the Emerson A100, mini or regular. The handles grip like they have epoxy on them, and the lockup is the most solid I've ever seen.

I like the way almost everybody just ignored everything the threadstarter said and just recommended their favourite knife instead :rolleyes:

I'll put another vote in for the G10 Tyrade. I have the Ti version, and it's slick, thin enough for pocket carry, has a great steel (Edge D2) and with the G10 handle, you get what you're looking for. With the double-pumping Speed Safe mechanism, it fires open like a rocket.

Only issue I see you might have, is it's a bit wide in the pocket. Something you'll have to check out for yourself.

Thanks for your willingness to serve our country. Stay safe.

Daniel

I like the way almost everybody just ignored everything the threadstarter said and just recommended their favourite knife instead :rolleyes:

I agree. It seems to happen 90% of the time in general knife discussion.

Back