Looking v's seeing

Maybe Ill just wait for whoever made those tire tracks in THE MIDDLE OF THE PICTURE to come back along and give me a lift to the nearest House O' Waffles!:D:D:D
Well noticed (which is afterall the intention of the post :thumbup:).

Some further information that is not obvious from the pic that might help answer my next question.

Firstly, there were no stock in this paddock, and the only cow pats I could find were old (1 month plus).

Secondly, this picture was taken an hour before sunset (temperature was still hovering around 38 C).

So my questions is, roughly how long ago do you reckon this track last saw a vehicle?

Kind regards
Mick

The tracks look no more than a few months old at the worst. Of course, that is based on the closest geography I have seen to Australia and that is the desert wasteland that is our ranch in West Texas. The grass around the tracks appears to have grown up a bit which indicates one of two things to me.

1. The trail has been used so many times that the growth has been permanently disturbed and will not return for a few years.

or

2. The tracks have been made and used consistently for at least the last year.

The start of wheel ruts along the track certainly indicates previous use.

The dead grass on the track shows no sign of disturbace (or compression of the stalks).

The green/grey area on the right hand wheel rut (immediately below the centre rabbit) is fresh regrowth.

These rabbits were out in the open (albeit close to their burrow) during daylight hours.

Do you reckon it would be worth waiting to see if the farmer turns up?

Kind regards
Mick

Not knowing the area I couldn't respond to that very well myself, but here are a couple of moderately relevant comments:

1. There are a lot of places I have been where rabbits were not too worried about being out in the day. But that could vary from place to place. We used to see them fairly regularly on a hill near where I grew up...they didn't run and hide unless you seemed aggressive or got too close.

So rabbits out in the day might mean something, or it might mean nothing. If you were there, and they were wandering around relaxed, I would think they were used to seeing people!

2. If it's 38 degrees any decision I make about staying or going would relate mainly to water. I don't take chances about running out of water in hot climates having come too close in the past. Without water I walked for a night in the desert and lost consciousness the next day waiting for dusk to try to walk some more. Granted I started a little dehydrated but regardless, no water no walk! I mention this partly because it looks pretty dry there.

If there was water there and not elsewhere I'd be inclined to wait.

On the other hand if I drove there myself and then my car broke down, I'd also know what I had to go through to get out. So without knowing the place, pretty tough to make a call like that IMO.

If there was a cooler of beer, a pickup, a firepit and some lawnchairs that we can't see because they are behind the camera, I wouldn't be too surprised. ;)

About 5 meters out of camera to the right, is a river red gum that is located at the top of the river bank. There is a burrow complex amoungst the roots of this tree.
Yep there's water there :thumbup:

If there was a cooler of beer, a pickup, a firepit and some lawnchairs that we can't see because they are behind the camera, I wouldn't be too surprised. ;)
This wasn't taken during a car camping trip :D

It was taken during a fishing trip ;)

Kind regards
Mick

Yep there's water there :thumbup:

This wasn't taken during a car camping trip :D

It was taken during a fishing trip ;)

Kind regards
Mick

Heh, alright then, take the "pickup" out of what I said earlier then, but the rest stands sound no? :p All I'm saying is that it looks like a wonderful spot for a camp-out with the troops. :thumbup: Maybe things just look different to me up here, heheh.

Very interesting post. I enjoyed that one. I did see the two rabbits. I do hunt rabbits so it is probably easier for me to see than some people that don't. I hunt them with a pistol or rifle. Makes a difference in the way you hunt them. Shotgun hunters I know of just bust through everything making them run. I slowly walk and pick out shapes, color, movement. You have to get closer and shoot them in the head if you can. If you see a rabbit and want to get closer, don't walk directly to it, don't eyeball it. If they think you are looking right at ithem they are more likely to bolt. One of their defenses is camo and stillness. We can learn from them. Alot of times that dark "round" eyeball gives them up. Your subconscious, if you program it, will sort alot of this out for you along with successful experience.

Not knowing the area I couldn't respond to that very well myself, but here are a couple of moderately relevant comments:

1. There are a lot of places I have been where rabbits were not too worried about being out in the day. But that could vary from place to place. We used to see them fairly regularly on a hill near where I grew up...they didn't run and hide unless you seemed aggressive or got too close.

So rabbits out in the day might mean something, or it might mean nothing. If you were there, and they were wandering around relaxed, I would think they were used to seeing people!

2. If it's 38 degrees any decision I make about staying or going would relate mainly to water. I don't take chances about running out of water in hot climates having come too close in the past. Without water I walked for a night in the desert and lost consciousness the next day waiting for dusk to try to walk some more. Granted I started a little dehydrated but regardless, no water no walk! I mention this partly because it looks pretty dry there.

On the other hand if I drove there myself and then my car broke down, I'd also know what I had to go through to get out. So without knowing the place, pretty tough to make a call like that IMO.
:thumbup: on both points.

Not only have you used previous experience to inform decisions (re: water), but you have identified the need for more information before committing to a course of action :thumbup:

This whole post was intended to start an investigation process, to encourage questions from fellow WSS members in order to help crystalise the sort of information they would need, before making a decision on their next course of action in the scenario stated at the start :D

Heh, alright then, take the "pickup" out of what I said earlier then, but the rest stands sound no? :p All I'm saying is that it looks like a wonderful spot for a camp-out with the troops. :thumbup: Maybe things just look different to me up here, heheh.
A second :thumbup: about the location. Although campfires would be out (total fire ban in force), it would have been a lot cooler that night camped along this river, plus a few ice cold beers wouldn't have gone astray either :D

Kind regards
Mick

Please Note: I have edited this to correct a mistake I made to ensure I credited the right person with identification and reasoning of the need for further info

Last edited:
Yeah I just saw on the news about the super hot and dry conditions down under. It showed all sorts of wildfires and the like, looked pretty dang arid, that's for sure!

I picked out two rabbits and like the others thought there might be a third. I spent my youth hunting rabbits-- good eats. For these rabbits I'd use snares if I had em, throwing stick or even rocks if nothing else. If I couldn't pick off one of the adults, I'd do my best to run down one of the kits. Used to do it all the time as a kid. They don't have much endurance, doesn't take long to tire them out. Then you just reach down and pick em up. Never had a shortage of pet rabbits as a kid.

The start of wheel ruts along the track certainly indicates previous use.

The dead grass on the track shows no sign of disturbace (or compression of the stalks).

The green/grey area on the right hand wheel rut (immediately below the centre rabbit) is fresh regrowth.

These rabbits were out in the open (albeit close to their burrow) during daylight hours.

Do you reckon it would be worth waiting to see if the farmer turns up?

Kind regards
Mick

Maybe YOU could just give us a ride out, and well trade you one of these bunnies for 2 of them fish:D

But really Id be inclined to follow the tracks i think??

G'day RC

Yeah I just saw on the news about the super hot and dry conditions down under. It showed all sorts of wildfires and the like, looked pretty dang arid, that's for sure!
Yeah it's dry & hot here. Our southern States in particular are coping the brunt of it (temps of 46 C during the day, getting down to 34 C over night :barf:)

Kind regards
Mick

Plus, if you pour on some lemon juice, it will chemically "cook" fish if you aren't into the raw taste. It ain't great, but it ain't bad either. Now with this fire ban, do they count gas stoves/bbq's as fire?

G'day RC

Now with this fire ban, do they count gas stoves/bbq's as fire?

The following comes from our local Rural Bushfire service website at http://www.bushfire.nsw.gov.au/dsp_content.cfm?CAT_ID=1110

"During a Total Fire Ban no fire may be lit in the open and all Fire permits are suspended. This includes incinerators and barbecues which burn solid fuel, e.g. wood or charcoal.

You may use a gas or electric barbecue, but only if:

It is on a residential property within 20 metres of the house or dwelling
It is a picnic area and the appliance is approved by Council, National Parks or State Forest
It is under the direct control of a responsible adult
The ground within 2 metres of the barbecue is cleared of all materials which could burn
You have an immediate and continuous supply of water available"

So unless you basically have either a hose or water tanker standing by, even a gas stove would be out.

Kind regards
Mick

SouthernCross ... hows it goin :) jumped onto the PC an da whole lot of new stuff, good to see.
Mmmm survival situation and I'm not waiting to see what vehicle made the tracks although the bunnies will still be there for brekky (breakfast). Follow the tracks and if you've got good manners ... you've got a good chance at dinner ;)

I'm thinkin bunnies, fences, lots of food ... and someone appreciating the fact that there's less bunnies,, hopefully.

Southerncross ... good to hear from you, look forward to replying.

Back