1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Lost my beloved Mini Griptilian. Maybe time for a Sage?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Foilist, Sep 8, 2015.

1. zl1

zl1

Nov 24, 2012
    Sage 1 Sage 1!!
    Disappears in your pocket and has excellent ergos.

2. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    This will make my opinion fairly obvious...my favorite folder of 3" or less.
    [​IMG]

3. ChazzyP

ChazzyP Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 27, 2014
    I have 2 Grips, both large--a Ritter M390 and a black combo 154CM. I like both knives but hated the handles so the Ritter now has G10 Wilkins and the other canvas micarta IgorDeds. I guess your beloved lost (sigh) mini-Grip had the stock handles. To each his own for sureĀ….

I have all the Sages including both versions of the 3. The CF 3 is one of the smoothest knives I own and with the bolt lock would indeed be a good choice if you like the Axis. Sages 1 and 2 are both sweet, too. The 1 has awesome CF and the 2 is just so simple and light. Detents are fine on all the Sages.

Manix 2 is another good choice, as mentioned above, and carries much smaller than its size. Maybe bit heavy, though, if weight is part of why you like smaller EDCs. One of my favorites and the CBBL lock does break in and become easier after a while.

I have the mini-Barrage in 154CM and Norel and the full-sized version with the aluminum bolsters, G10, and M390. Both are stock assisted-opening, but I've taken the spring, safety, and back-spacer out of the larger knife and absolutely love it. Just flies out with a light flick. Great steel. For someone who wants a smaller EDC, the upscaled mini, de-assisted would be a helluva choice.

One knife that hasn't been mentioned and I never see much about is the Axis mini-Stryker. Not the auto version. I picked up the drop-point model here on BF and it makes a nice small EDC. It's light and thin, but has some breadth to the handle and blade, a solid feel, great G10, and a deep-carry parkerized split arrow clip. This is substantial knife that carries very lightly.

There's lots of good choices out there, and I hope you like your Sequel and find another that suits you well.

4. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    I carried the mini grip for a while but a Delica replaced it and I never looked back.

5. adamg01

adamg01

Dec 8, 2013
    I personally think the 707 and Sage 1 are both better knives over the mini Grip.

6. adamg01

adamg01

Dec 8, 2013
    If the Rat 2 had a steel upgrade and G10 scales it would be a better EDC than either of those. Do you hear me Ontario?

7. ChazzyP

ChazzyP Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Another choice I thought of after is the BM Osborne 940 line, which gives you an almost 3 1/2" blade in an extremely compact, thin, and light package that pretty much disappears in your pocket. I've got two, both in CF--940-1 in S90V and a 943 in S30V. The 943 is right up there with my Sebs as a favorite.

8. Foilist

Foilist

Dec 20, 2004
    My Benchmade Sequel showed up a day earlier than expected!

It's a nice knife - basically a Mini Griptillian with a nicer handle. It will fit my requirements just fine, but I'd still really like to try a Sage 1.

9. BladeCommander

BladeCommander Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Great choice on the Sequel. It is a great, slim little knife.

Fixed that for you.
    just kidding. But it would probably cost more than the delica if it had comparable blade steel and G10 scales.

10. SFW

SFW

Aug 15, 2014
    I've been a Benchmade guy for a long time. While I love my Ritter Grip, my Spyderco PM2 and Sage 1 see more carry time these days. The Sage is a very beautiful and very functional knife.