Love my new range boss (black)

Got the range boss in recently. Wanted a broken skull, but never got around to buying one. Knife is excellent and well made by my initial impressions. Seems the zy-ex handle has a minimal interframe steel liner that the stop pins and screws anchor through. This knife will definitely hold up to whatever I have planned for it. I know the steel isn't the best, but I'm fine with a blade easily sharpenable in the field.

Really? 4034? It looks like a great, simple pocket knife, but 4034 with an MSRP of over $50? I hate to open this can of worms again, but use some AUS10 and try again.

Really? 4034? It looks like a great, simple pocket knife, but 4034 with an MSRP of over $50? I hate to open this can of worms again, but use some AUS10 and try again.
2 minute search found for ~$35 shipped .

If they did the HT right and didn't burn the edge , it should be OK for most people's actual needs .

I haven't seen much in the way of user reviews of CS knives with this steel , so the jury is still out , IMO .

Steel formula is just one factor in determining overall performance , and less important than some here pretend .

Got the range boss in recently. Wanted a broken skull, but never got around to buying one. Knife is excellent and well made by my initial impressions. Seems the zy-ex handle has a minimal interframe steel liner that the stop pins and screws anchor through. This knife will definitely hold up to whatever I have planned for it. I know the steel isn't the best, but I'm fine with a blade easily sharpenable in the field.
:) I'd appreciate your impressions after some time using and carrying !

Photos are always nice , too . Especially if the knife looks a little beat up ! :cool::thumbsup:

What we really want to know if is the steel will take and hold an edge for a reasonable amount of time, or if its junk.
If it performs like Buck 420HC it should be fine.

i would have happily paid a little more for AUS10 for a folder in this class.

What we really want to know if is the steel will take and hold an edge for a reasonable amount of time, or if its junk.
If it performs like Buck 420HC it should be fine.

i would have happily paid a little more for AUS10 for a folder in this class.
it doesn't. i have a couple 4034 cold steel folders....its soft and edge rolls easily. not even close to Bucks Paul Bos heat treatment process of their 420hc. which I know well being a Buck collector and using and sharpening that steel often.

it doesn't. i have a couple 4034 cold steel folders....its soft and edge rolls easily. not even close to Bucks Paul Bos heat treatment process of their 420hc. which I know well being a Buck collector and using and sharpening that steel often.
I can’t say that I’m surprised

I can’t say that I’m surprised
I should be fair its not as horrible as I thought it would be. its not to Bucks American made 420hc though from my uses and sharpening of it.

I'm sure the steel will be perfectly fine for anything you would use a knife like that for. It's 4" with a TriAd lock for $35. That seems like a screaming deal to me.

Anything you did to snap a 4034 blade would probably snap anything else you might choose, and is definitely nothing you should be doing to your knife anyway. In my opinion. :)

Is the Range Boss reasonably thin behind the edge?
My Air Lite is a little thicker than I prefer.

Is the Range Boss reasonably thin behind the edge?
My Air Lite is a little thicker than I prefer.
If the range boss kept the same dimensions as the broken skull it was modeled after, then yes it is significantly thinner behind the edge than the air lite.

I love the design, have the old lonestar in aus8.....great but heavy
Just picked up a s35 broken skull.....its just a perfect backpacking fishing blade....3oz!

The new one in 4034.....MEH
I think for a cheap beater I would get the ranchboss2 in SK5 with the leather sheath....at least its steel

I have liked certain cold steel products for years and loathed some
With Lynn gone their decisions are becoming questionable......its sad
What person here would not spend 8 to 15 dollars more for aus8 or aus10 than 4034?

Ya the RB2 is a fun little cheapie with SK-5. Great overall value, and if lost or broken no sweat.

I would like to hear more opinions from people who purchased a Range Boss.

It seems like no matter what steel CS uses, someone will say why didn't they use XXXX steel for a few bucks more? Cedric and Ada tested 4034 and found it to be a decent low cost stainless steel, which is exactly what I expect it to be.

I bought a Range Boss in FDE - I am really liking in. Steel wise I sharpened up on my Work Sharp Ken Onion, and naturally it was an easy to sharpen and polish up. Th edge is keen and the blade is nice and slicey (way better than the Air Lite).
I haven't done a lot of edge test holding yet but this is my "beater" knife so I'm not too worried. I would have preferred AUS-10 but so far 4034 seems serviceable.

I think the key selling points of the Range Boss is that it's very light and slim, with a fairly large blade for it's weight. Which is exactly why I bought it and very happy with it.

I bought a Range Boss in FDE - I am really liking in. Steel wise I sharpened up on my Work Sharp Ken Onion, and naturally it was an easy to sharpen and polish up. Th edge is keen and the blade is nice and slicey (way better than the Air Lite).
I haven't done a lot of edge test holding yet but this is my "beater" knife so I'm not too worried. I would have preferred AUS-10 but so far 4034 seems serviceable.

I think the key selling points of the Range Boss is that it's very light and slim, with a fairly large blade for it's weight. Which is exactly why I bought it and very happy with it.
How strong are the handle scales? They looks so thin, the handle looks like it can bend. I have the Prolite, which has the same construction but with thicker scales.

Back