Love my new range boss (black)

If you pinch the scales yes they flex - you can even pinch them together with a bit of force. I was a little concerned when I first got the knife. But then I started using it, and honestly I don't even notice it.
I wouldn't put a lot of lateral stress on the knife, but for normal cutting chores, it will be fine.

I just got one in OD Green. Initial impressions:
Good
- Very smooth action, good for fidgeting
- Blade has a lovely stone wash, is razor sharp
- Tri-ad lock, a teeny bit of lock rock
- Very lightweight
- Very thin, so it rides well in the pocket
- It has steel liners!!!

Not so good
- The stippling is crazy. Rough edges all over the place (much better after a little sanding)
- What is up with that clip? I have to pry it open with a screwdriver
- Also, no lefty clip included
- The thin FRN scales are not very strong. But the Steel liners make up for that.
- A weaker backspring than my Prolite. This makes the action smoother, but doesn't inspire as much confidence
- The lock bar is too far forward. If I grip the end of the handle for more reach, my thumb is right at the lock bar, which can result in accidental unlocking

The Range Boss is OK. I think the Prolite and Kudu are better designed and executed. <- I take that back. I disassembled the knife and found steel liners on both sides. It has the Cold Steel DNA, after all. I think they did the best they could for the thinness, weight, and budget materials. It's actually quite well made and a winner in my book.

Last edited:
Big Surprise! Steel liners!
...the value of this knife just increased big time as far as I'm concerned.
IMG-20210828-214927188.jpg

Last edited:
Back