1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 21 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Megatherium!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives Megatherium, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, May 25; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Loving my Arowana!

Discussion in 'W.A. Surls Knives (formerly WAS Knives)' started by hasco, Feb 28, 2016.

1. _Westy_

_Westy_

Dec 19, 2009
    Wow thanks for sharing guys - that is a great looking model!

2. Tekton

Tekton

Mar 8, 2015
    Just received this in the mail today. [​IMG]
    It feels great in hand. I have yet to use it, but it is very comfortable and the balance is perfect. Great design. Thanks Allen

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  3. Dman3d

Dman3d

Jul 9, 2013
    Man I so want one

4. Tekton

Tekton

Mar 8, 2015
    I highly recommend getting one.

5. Onedog

Onedog Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 5, 2013
    I absolutely love this knife. From the kitchen to the woods, this knife can get a lot done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. hasco

hasco Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Great pics and I totally agree!!

7. ncrockclimb

ncrockclimb

Nov 20, 2014
    I absolutely love the look of this knife. The Arowana and Bison are on my "to look for" list for Blade.

My one question is regarding thickness. I get the reason for the thin 3/32" blade. However, I would like to use this for more "hard-use" tasks, and would love to get one in 5/32" or 3/16". Has Alan made one in 3/16"? Now that you have had it for a while, how do you like the 5/32" Arowana?

8. hasco

hasco Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2014
    I really like the 5/32" and just because I am so curious, I would love to try one in 3/32". Now that Allen is making some crazy awesome kitchen knives though, I might need to jump on one of those instead and stick with this one in 5/32". If you want an all around knife I think 5/32" is perfect but 3/16" would make a great chopper!

9. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    I was having this thought as well. I feel like a 1/8 or 3/32 Arowana would make a great all around woods and kitchen knife.

10. Onedog

Nov 5, 2013
    So far I'm really liking my 1/8" Arowana. I've done both outdoor and kitchen tasks with it and it's performed excellently. Fire prep including feather sticks and breaking down small pieces of wood are no problem for this knife. I haven't batoned with it and I really don't plan to. In the kitchen and around the grill it's been awesome as well. The full height grind makes for an excellent slicer and prep knife. Allen said that he wanted the Arowana to be a larger knife that feels smaller and nimble in the hand and he nailed it with this design. At first glance it doesn't look like an all around knife but it really is.

I would imagine that in a thicker stock it would easily handle "hard-use" tasks. I don't think I've seen one in 3/16" and I'm pretty sure that Tod's is the only one in 5/32". I'm not positive on either of those points, however.

If you're on the fence about this knife I would definitely say "get ya one". It really is a great design. :thumbup:

11. ncrockclimb

ncrockclimb

Nov 20, 2014
    5/32" a2 or cpm154, coffee bag burlap handles would ideal... You have plenty of time to make one before Blade. :)

Edit to add... It's not often I see a "new" profile that I really like. The Arowana is by far the most interesting new knife I have seen in a long time.

12. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Oh yeah! That's everything that I imagined it would do. I'd be curious about batoning, but I don't do a ton of that anyways.

In my initial post I said 3/32 and meant 5/32.

13. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    me too ALLEN!:eek:

14. _Westy_

_Westy_

Dec 19, 2009

That makes at least three of us - emerald burlap would be rockin'

15. Onedog

Nov 5, 2013
    A couple of pics from tonights Chicken Curry. Arrowana did all the work. I was too busy eating the finished product to take pictures of it, though. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    I think the 1/8" with that tall blade would handle just about anything that you might throw at it. I want one Allen.

17. Tekton

Tekton

Mar 8, 2015
    I love this knife!

[​IMG]

18. rockman0

rockman0 Gold Member Gold Member

May 5, 2013
    It is taking all my will power not to buy one, dlt has 3/32 1/8 and 5/32 in stock. I almost pulled the trigger on the A2 3/32 but I don't need another kitchen knife and that is where I would use it most.

19. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    i really like the navy over natural liners & white pinstripes. 1/8" A2

20. rockman0

rockman0 Gold Member Gold Member

May 5, 2013
    The 3/32 A2 with a black bolster and navy burlap keeps me coming back for a look, hope somebody buys it before my will power fails!