1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Loving my Arowana!

Discussion in 'W.A. Surls Knives (formerly WAS Knives)' started by hasco, Feb 28, 2016.

1. hasco

hasco Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Man, that looks delicious!!! Great looking knife too!!

2. Nbrackett

Nbrackett Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 19, 2015
    I've had it a little while but it's the first time I've used it in the kitchen. When you hear that it handles like a much smaller knife believe it. It will now be my go to knife for most all of my kitchen duties.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    nice NBrackett

would you post a recipe for the sauce you have there?

4. Nbrackett

Jun 19, 2015
    It's called Finadene and it's a recipe from Guam. This is the base recipe we use, but I've seen hotter peppers, cucumber, etc added as desired. We love it over white sticky rice but it's also traditionally served with chicken and pork.

1/2 cup white vinegar
    1 cup soy sauce
    4-5 jalapeƱos
    1 tomatoe (I think Roma works best)
    1/2 white onion
    small bundle of green onions

I think you would really like it Phillip.

varga49 likes this.
  5. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    Thanks!

Im going to try it this week. Ill post pics!

6. delkhouri

delkhouri Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2007
    So I'm pretty interested in an Arowana. And I have come across a beauty in 3/32 A2 but I am just not sure if that is too thin to be primarily used as a general outdoors camping knife. Anyone have thoughts on this?

7. jackal_727

jackal_727 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 25, 2010
    3/32 is plenty thick for any cutting tasks. Where you'd want to shy away would be chopping and batoning. But to be honest, that's not where this knife shines anyhow. It's just meant for slicing. That's in its DNA. The long, up swept blade just digs in phenomenally. My arowana is in 1/8, and I love it. But I'd get a 3/32 if I could do it over again. Just my opinion.

Nbrackett likes this.
  8. Tekton

Tekton

Mar 8, 2015
    These pictures belong here. I really like this knife. Mine get used a lot. I have both 3/32" and 1/8". Now I just need a scandi wearing Ironwood!

7ED270BA-DC05-47FC-9046-7F26653A3BDF.jpeg 91675049-D58E-45F4-8732-49E858A0F6F6.jpeg

Comprehensivist, VANCE and Nbrackett like this.
  9. Nbrackett

Jun 19, 2015
    12E050B9-9E49-4F38-A2DE-91498483B3A3.jpeg