Lubricating AXIS folders

I wonder which of the two most popular knife lubricants (Militec-1 and Tuf-Glide) is better for AXIS folders?

Personally I use Miltec-1and 3 in 1 oil. Depending on witch is available at the time.

For Axis folders I like Militec-1 and FP-10.

I really hate the smell of Militec-1 BTW.
But it's great for certain applications so I use it anyway.

I prefer Miltec-1 for all of my folders, but use a Tuf Cloth on carbon blades unless it's a knife I use for food prep, in which case I use food grade mineral oil.

I prefer Miltec-1 for all of my folders, but use a Tuf Cloth on carbon blades unless it's a knife I use for food prep, in which case I use food grade mineral oil.

I also like Tuf Cloth. Great product, does what it claims to do.

For carbon steel used for food prep - I usually just rinse the knife with
plain water after use, make sure it's dry, and let that patina form.

Benchmade recommends Militec -1 and since I already had a bottle on hand that's what I use on my folding knives.

BTW from what I read about Militec-1, the object to be lubed is supposed to be heated after the oil is applied. Once heated the object will remain lubed even if the oil is wiped dry. Supposedly less dirt will be attracted to the lubed area. I don't know if any of this is true , but as a wet lube it does work well in firearms.

Benchmade recommends Militec -1 and since I already had a bottle on hand that's what I use on my folding knives.

BTW from what I read about Militec-1, the object to be lubed is supposed to be heated after the oil is applied. Once heated the object will remain lubed even if the oil is wiped dry. Supposedly less dirt will be attracted to the lubed area. I don't know if any of this is true , but as a wet lube it does work well in firearms.

In my experience, even if not heated the object will remain lubed after the oil
is wiped dry.

It remains lubed and retains that notable Militec-1 smell, too.

In my experience, even if not heated the object will remain lubed after the oil
is wiped dry.

It remains lubed and retains that notable Militec-1 smell, too.

That's good to know, thanks

About the smell...I'd been using Militec-1 for about three years on firearms before I got my 1st BM knife. When I opened up the box with my new 710, I knew I recognized that smell, but I couldn't pinpoint it right away. After I read the insert packed with the knife I realized it was Miltiec-1.

I know some hate the smell , but to me it's like Chanel no5. :)

moving-van.jpg

I just got a 710 today - what's the best way to apply militec 1? Just drop a few drops into the lock mechanism, or do i have to disassemble to apply it?

I just got a 710 today - what's the best way to apply militec 1? Just drop a few drops into the lock mechanism, or do i have to disassemble to apply it?

Just apply a drop to the lock itself. The axis system is VERY simple, I took apart both my mini grips this morning for a complete clean up.

When I oil up my BM knives, I just add a drop to where the washers are and let it run down the blade. Thats all you really need!

Miltec-1 All the way. Its an awesome lube, but it not all that great at preventing/treating rust.

When i got my 710HS used, i washed out the pivot with a toothbrush and some soapy water. Using a blow dryer i made sure everything was good and dry. A couple of drops on everything that moves and more heat from the blow dryer while working the pivot and axis. Wipe off the excess and good to go.

The militec1 works well without heat too, but since i already had the blow dryer out i figured what the heck. Hasn't needed much besides blowing some fuzz out every now and again.

I would have taken it apart to clean and lube it but i broke my torx driver on the scale screws so i figured that benchmade was telling me something and left it alone.

We did a long evaluation of Miltec 1 some years ago- for knives (BM 806D2AFCK) . I use it to season steel and it's excellent for lubricating moving or frictioned parts. I even use the stuff inside my gun barrels and on my slides wherever copper lube isn't already. I got some tuf-glide too but haven't been bothered to try it.

Militec-1 is the way to go. There aren't too many products out there I haven't bought and tested, and Militec-1 is defenitely one of the best. Highly recommended.

www.militec-1.com Email Russ Logan for more information.

Clay

Militec 1 is a metal conditioner suspended in an oil, IIRC
I'll use either that or Tuff Glide

The best thing you could possibly use to lubricat the axis lock and inner mechanism is White Lightening. If posstible take the knife apart and put this where the spring is on the plastic and on the metal liner. Pretty much everything in that area and then wipe it off. I then add 3 in 1 to the washers for smooth action there. Its the only way to go!!!!!!

Back