• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

lying buyers

Yeah, I heard of one recently...when the rather new seller wrote me to ask my opinion...
He listed and sold an expensive and excellent model folder to a guy for a decent price.
His sales ad had lots of nice pics, particularly meticulous blowups of the blade and tip.
The purchaser received the knife and immediately said that the tip was chipped.
My advice to the seller, on reviewing his ad, was to contact a MOD since it was pretty obvious that the tip was visually perfect on both sides. He did this, and the MOD agreed that the knife looked perfect.
I advised the seller to offer him a full refund, to get his knife back, and then relist. The seller said he didn't want to go thru the bother, and offered the purchaser a twenty-dollar discount, which the purchaser immediately sucked up...
This type of unethical trickery by some buyers just gives the rest of us a bad name. It's not my business to release the buyer's name, but I hope he reads this post.
I did manage to quickly add that buyer to my IGNORE list.

I've heard this 3 times now. But each time the name wasn't said. I wonder if it's the same person each time? Guess we'll never know since they never get named.

Exactly why I don't sell to members that don't have an excellent feedback with a proven track record.
Worst case scenario, I don't make a sale and have to keep the knife.
Not going to break my heart.

My best case of a lying buyer was a person pretending to have bought something from me. Yes, she emailed pictures and had some information, but had never purchased anything.

I researched all my transactions, and she was never a customer. My best guess was that she may have known someone who had been a customer and was pretending to be them (or act in their behalf without naming them) and wanted a discount on a new one based on some photos showing wear and tear on someone else’s used product.

She emailed a few times and the story kept changing…

No invoice, no receipt, no PayPal transaction number, proof or date of purchase. Complete lie form start to finish. Very strange. They are out there...Seller beware.

Me also!!! I'm quick to add names to my ignore list!!

On a positive note....I just received a custom knife shipped back from Austria..........even better than expected and better than pics!!!!

Yeah, I heard of one recently...when the rather new seller wrote me to ask my opinion...
He listed and sold an expensive and excellent model folder to a guy for a decent price.
His sales ad had lots of nice pics, particularly meticulous blowups of the blade and tip.
The purchaser received the knife and immediately said that the tip was chipped.
My advice to the seller, on reviewing his ad, was to contact a MOD since it was pretty obvious that the tip was visually perfect on both sides. He did this, and the MOD agreed that the knife looked perfect.
I advised the seller to offer him a full refund, to get his knife back, and then relist. The seller said he didn't want to go thru the bother, and offered the purchaser a twenty-dollar discount, which the purchaser immediately sucked up...
This type of unethical trickery by some buyers just gives the rest of us a bad name. It's not my business to release the buyer's name, but I hope he reads this post.
I did manage to quickly add that buyer to my IGNORE list.
I get the whole privacy issue. PMS are private. That said, can you ask the seller if it is okay to name this buyer? It could really help a lot of people. This community should be known for helping good honest people.

If you can't name names, can you PM me with it? I've got a lot of people on my ignore list. 99.5% of them because of shenanigans on the exchange (gbu related mostly). I want to protect myself from these types and it can save some time and effort to simply ignore them.

I don't believe it was the Op's intention to name names or is it necessarily appropriate for him to do so, since this is secondary info and he was not a primary in the deal. I believe he was just intending to warn us of this practice going on-not the 1st we have heard of it. It would be appropriate (almost an obligation to the community) for the seller to release the name and the Mod in charge could also.
I suggest Sonnydaze make the seller aware of this thread and hopefully both he and the buyer will chime in.
of course just my opinion and I understand that of those that want the name now

I asked Sonnydaze Sonnydaze for a name here, if even only via PM, so I could personally avoid the prospect of trouble. Guess that is not going to happen. Even an explanation as to why he won't name the party also apparently is not going to happen (if it's "not his business" to name the buyer, then it's not his business to waste space on the server telling us his story either :rolleyes:).

So much for a worthwhile thread. The OP comes here, tells everyone he has the benefit of some information (he put the buyer on "IGNORE") that could be helpful to the membership here, and then refuses to share that information. IMHO, the thread is worse than pointless. It encourages fear that there is some mysterious @sshat out there taking advantage of honest members. Awesome result.:confused:

Simple solution, really, for this problem. When I was buying, selling and trading regularly here I only had two buyers who tried to get me to refund a portion. I stuck to my guns and in the spirit of "the deal ain't done 'til everyone's happy" said, politely, that if they will return the items in the condition I sent them I would refund their money. Both ended up keeping the goods and no further discussion was made regarding refunds.

Yeah... I don't get it. The OP is telling a story about another seller's problem. No idea here of who was directly involved. or really what the purpose of the post is.

Without some useful information it's just a boogey man story.

If I feel anything is off by the transaction I offer a full refund. I won’t do any partial refunds.

I’ve been more cautious of buyers lately and will no longer ship over seas unless it’s to a Gold member that’s been on here for like 10 years.

I can understand Sonny not posting a name ... it isn't his transactions to do so ... and he is respecting the sellers wishes ...

even without the buyers name he at least let members know it's happening ... which is a help anyway.

Yeah. Sorry, no it's not. Beware because "some buyers might be dishonest" is essentially pointless in the context of GB&U. If it's a tale worth telling, it's worth revealing the specific players involved.

I agree a name would be best ... but to bring it to members attention (that may be new or unaware that some people try this BS) ... is worth noting ...

personally I think the orginal seller would want to post a name but that is that members choice to or not.

Back