M390 HY BRED coming soon.

Also, I could be wrong, but if etched, the damascus could be even more eye popping.
Yeah, that's definitely a pre-etching pic -- I'm sure it'll look even more ridiculously awesome after they etch it.

Did you remember to request Chad Nichols MokuTi on the handles instead of regular Ti? :D

Hey now. This thing is going to be working in server rooms and warehouses, not the Emperor's Ball. :p

Moku-Ti goes on the full-dress Gunhammer, which comes next! :eek: :D

Speaking of MokuTi, Darrel just posted some more details on FB about what the rest of the knife that the blade goes with is going to be like. :eek:

Speaking of MokuTi, Darrel just posted some more details on FB about what the rest of the knife that the blade goes with is going to be like. :eek:

Just saw that myself earlier. The back spine will be carved Chad Nichols damascus with Darrel's signature hand engraved. The frames will be a new pattern of Chad Nichols MokuTi.

sick, just sick. I love it, just the descriptions rock, damned offshore internet won't let them show if they are any posted in the thread, and can't go to facebook.
Tagging for a look when I go home.

Man, I'm going nuts waiting to see the rest of the knife that blade goes with!

(Hark, that was supposed to be a hint for you to pester Darrel for more pictures. :p )

The hybrid will be done this week before the show. I will get pics as soon as it's finished.

Some other news. He's working on a 3.5 ti auto Gunhammer, for those of you that have LEO friends or just like playing with autos.

Whoa, Darrel just posted three WIP pics of another blade in this same material: it's a MM 4" with a symmetrical dagger blade (think of the HTM Madd Maxx except with the unsharpened top edge running the full length of the blade). Because of the blade shape/grind, the thickest portion is down the middle of the blade, creating a strip of damascus down the middle with the M390 core exposed along both edges (where the grind is thinner). :eek:

429014_10150553091526765_607411764_9114795_572924221_n.jpg

Could this be?

Darrel just makes the impossible possible. I can't wrap my mind around how in the world you make m390 damascus like in that m390 damascus core surrounded by Nichols SS damascus.

All the new options are putting my head in a spin.

It's getting seriously hard to nail down a single DDR knife to call my perfect EDC. I can see a place and use for all of the blades and handles.

Even more motivation to work hard and pull six figures!

I know, all the recent Madd Maxx pics are renewing my interest in that knife. I'm thinking I'm gonna need a custom gunny AND a MM. Gotta go see if there are HTM MM's to save some moolah on trying it out.

The UPS guy dropped off the knife pictured below (pics grabbed from the "Hot off the Bench" thread) a few hours ago, and I'm absolutely blown away. :eek:

As good as it looks in the pics, they don't come close to doing justice to how good it looks in person. The patterns and coloration of the MokuTi handles, and how they change in the light, are something that no picture can fully convey.

What really stands out about this knife is that, as incredible and exotic as all the materials are by themselves, they fit together so well. The san mai damascus blade and MokuTi handles, of course, are an awesome fit, but that's not really news to anyone. What might be less apparent from the pictures is that the LSCF, which is always tough to capture in a photograph, fits the knife perfectly in person; the coloration of the copper wire in the carbon fiber superbly complements the gold/bronze colors of the MokuTi and fire-colored hardware. Another really cool touch was Darrel and crew's decision to make the backspacer out of the same M390 san mai damascus as the blade -- the patterns of the MokuTi and san mai damascus look great from the side and really flow into one another nicely (the last picture below sort of shows it, although again it looks so much better in person).

That about wraps up my ramblings/impressions about the knife. Basically, what I'm saying is that anyone who's a fan of DDR customs in general, and Gunhammers in particular, owes it to themselves to order (or start saving up for) one of these ASAP -- with their favorite blade shape, inlay material, opening mechanism, and so forth, of course! :D

IMHO, this knife -- with the incredible skill, time, and creativity that went into making the materials (major hat tip to Chad Nichols for his collaborations with Darrel) and then the knife itself -- represents not just the pinnacle of the DDR custom world, but of the custom knife world as a whole. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Back